X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery life with key on?

Hi All,

New owner of 2019 Tour with questions about battery. I can't find a search for only 2018 Forum and haven't found anything else. I've been playing with all the options trying to get a feel of functions. I keep worrying about killing the battery leaving key on too long. Any hints, tips or tricks to keep that from happening or am I fretting about nothing? I know accessory mode is better, but not all things work there.

Thanx Dean

It is well known fact, that you'll kill your battery if you leave the key on while listening to the radio. or playing with the functions.

The Electrical draw will pull volts out of a healthy battery.

You'll know you waited to long to hook up a tender, when the bike refuses to start.(But slightly cranks)

My advice is to keep a tender plugged into the bike while the ign is on.

I leave the 1800 on a "Tender Plus" when I'm off the bike.

I have 3 of these for my other bikes. http://products.batterytender.com/Ch...ry-Tender.html
    Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Search for "Deltran Battery Tender Jr 12V Maintainer Charger" available at Wal*Mart, most auto supply places, and some *Home Depot* locations (really!)
      Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Thanks All. I have a tender, just havent started tearing it apart to hook up. I'm making my list with top trunk rack, rear high mount led light, backrest and fog lights. When I strip it for these things I'll add tender lead. In the meantime I'll keep key on to minimum or run it.

Thanks again
        Dean

• Drgsin
          Drgsin commented
          Editing a comment
          you may want to look into the pathfinder led trunk light cruiseman has installed on his bike. beats the he77 out of the honda one. ill be changing mine to it.

Originally posted by deanrd View Post
        Thanks All. I have a tender, just havent started tearing it apart to hook up. I'm making my list with top trunk rack, rear high mount led light, backrest and fog lights. When I strip it for these things I'll add tender lead. In the meantime I'll keep key on to minimum or run it.

Thanks again
        Dean
        Tender pigtail is easy - you don't need to tear the bike apart to do it, just remove the left side cover and you have access to the battery. I rode my '19 2 1/2 hours home from the dealer on Friday and the battery was just over 13v. Yesterday afternoon the battery was just under 13v with no IGN on time to learn the bike. Got my tender connected and it took quite a while to bring the battery up to 80%. It's topped off and on float now.

You will want to wrap the pigtail in plastic split wire loom to protect it. The metal battery bracket has sharp edges and can eventually cut through the insulation, potentially shorting the battery.

2019 Tour DCT, Black Metallic

Got to get mine installed soon its sitting on my work bench dose no good there need to install it.
          2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by GregB View Post

You will want to wrap the pigtail in plastic split wire loom to protect it. The metal battery bracket has sharp edges and can eventually cut through the insulation, potentially shorting the battery.
            Sorry. --Been working on bikes for over 20 plus years. never heard of this.

No one in there right mind would install any wire under the battery holder strap. (The invention of ty-wraps is a wonderful thing)

Disregard that last part- After all we are talking about wingers here.
            Current bikes.
            1986 GL1200 SEi
            2004 GL1800

After I get home from a ride I always wipe the bike down. I put in bike in accessory mode to play music. It will play for one hour before bike will shut down. Put bike in accessory mode again and I have one more hour and so on.
              The bike has a built in shut down so no big deal if you leave on, the bike has a brain. If your going to play with the features for hours then maybe a trickle charge may be in order. Enjoy your new bike.

Rotflmao.
                Current bikes.
                1986 GL1200 SEi
                2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

Sorry. --Been working on bikes for over 20 plus years. never heard of this.

No one in there right mind would install any wire under the battery holder strap. (The invention of ty-wraps is a wonderful thing)

Disregard that last part- After all we are talking about wingers here.
                  Take a look next time you have an '18 or '19 in the shop. There is little room between the inside of the side cover and the raised edges on the battery bracket. Split loom is cheap - the bike (and the garage that's part of my house) is not. Better safe than sorry.
                  2019 Tour DCT, Black Metallic

Originally posted by dkhowell1 View Post
                    After I get home from a ride I always wipe the bike down. I put in bike in accessory mode to play music. It will play for one hour before bike will shut down. Put bike in accessory mode again and I have one more hour and so on.
                    The bike has a built in shut down so no big deal if you leave on, the bike has a brain. If your going to play with the features for hours then maybe a trickle charge may be in order. Enjoy your new bike.
                    When I put mine in accessory mode to listen to music it cuts off between 25-30 minutes.

Originally posted by Redwing2012 View Post

When I put mine in accessory mode to listen to music it cuts off between 25-30 minutes.
                      Redwing it's one hour in accessory mode, beeps one time to let you know it's shutting down. Try it again with a different watch.

Well I was wiping bike down yesterday and tucked up inside the cutout in panel you'd remove to get at battery is the SAE 2 pin connector.

Thank you dealer for the install!

Dean

Redwing it's one hour in accessory mode, beeps one time to let you know it's shutting down. Try it again with a different watch.
                          Nope, mine has always been approx. 30 minutes.

Nope, mine has always been approx. 30 minutes.
                            Lets see if we can break the mystery, I have a 2018 manual and I'm using my Bluetooth source playing Pandora. When you first posted you said approx. 25 to 30 minutes so to be sure I when out in the garage today and timed it, again 1 hour to the minute. Don't know why yours is approx. 30minutes, maybe someone could chime in and break the mystery.

Lets see if we can break the mystery, I have a 2018 manual and I'm using my Bluetooth source playing Pandora. When you first posted you said approx. 25 to 30 minutes so to be sure I when out in the garage today and timed it, again 1 hour to the minute. Don't know why yours is approx. 30minutes, maybe someone could chime in and break the mystery.
                              I just timed it for the first time this year - 1 Hour. That is after the January Update. But I tell you when I first got the bike in Feb. 2018 it was 30 minutes. Let's close this as being in Twilight Zone.

I just timed it for the first time this year - 1 Hour. That is after the January Update. But I tell you when I first got the bike in Feb. 2018 it was 30 minutes. Let's close this as being in Twilight Zone.
                                Good old mother Honda. Most cars and trucks that I've own are about 20 minutes or so. It is odd that Honda updated from 30 minutes to1 hour. Wish they would concentrate more on updating the nav. system instead. Still it's a hell of a bike.

Yeah. Gone are the good old days of when you could kill a battery, while taking your time to remove bugs from last weeks ride.

Dam fangled new bikes are taking all the fun out of, trying to start a bike with a dead battery.

I tell ya- we are all doomed.
                                  ************************************************** *******
                                  Current bikes.
                                  1986 GL1200 SEi
                                  2004 GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page