Why The New Goldwing Is Not The BEST Goldwing Ever Built

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new to the forum and a few months ago bought a 2018 Goldwing DCT .I test road the bike in Brook Haven Ms.and bought it from them at a great price.I have been reading all of the good and bad points about the bike so I have to put my 2 cents in.I have been riding for 52 yrs. and have owned several bikes over the yrs.mostly Harleys.I still have a Harley Street Glide and a BMW 1200 GS.I Have never owned a Gold Wing until now as I have never liked the way they handled or looked.That changed when I got this DCT.It is simpley awesome I love the way it handles and most of all the power it produces.It is the most fun bike I have ever owned.It also has great wind protection.Storag is ok but I don't like the side bags folding out.I don't have a trunk and use soft bags on a trip.As for as the vibration I really don't feel that at all but keep in mind I ride Harleys as well.The only real complaint I have is the paint is lousy you can see every place the bike has been touched.I have a friend who custom paints Bikes and he says Honda failed to put a clear coat on this Bike.Still I consider this to be my favorite Bike I am a speed and power nut and this Bike fills the bill.The bike also looks really great with the new design.I hope I didn't offend any Gold Wingers who like the older style its just a preference.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Drgsin
      Drgsin commented
      Editing a comment
      never mind the haters. theyre still ticked cadillac did away with the wings

ROTFLMBO

A speed & power nut who owns a Harley and a BMW 1200 GS

Ya gotta love a guy with a sense of humor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roflmao.gif
Views:	252
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	119634

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
      ROTFLMBO

A speed & power nut who owns a Harley and a BMW 1200 GS

Ya gotta love a guy with a sense of humor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roflmao.gif
Views:	252
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	119634
      Roflmbo 😂😄😂

Hey, they'll all beat my Scarabeo!

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess when your brain fails to tell you when to shift.
          An automatic gives you time to read WTF the GPS, is leading you to a dirt road.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
        Everything you are about to read is pure speculation on my part, so take it with a grain of salt.

Honda did not just throw together this new Goldwing in 12 months of development. For a motorcycle like this to reach the marketplace it had to be in development for at least five years. In fact, I would bet it was on the drawing board when the 2012 Goldwing was released and that is why Honda did not "waste" the money to make the 2012 trunk match the saddlebags. The flaws that exist with the current design and execution of the 7th Gen Goldwing (or 6th Gen depending on your point of view) are the result of careful planning and what I would presume to be the environmental agenda at Honda.

When the designers, engineers and planners at Honda got together to design a new Goldwing for the future, they did not sit down at a table and say "Let's build the most comfortable, most powerful, long-distance touring motorcycle in Goldwing history." In fact, that was probably never even discussed. What they more likely said was "Let's build the lightest, most fuel-efficient large motorcycle so we can save the planet". The result is a 2018 Goldwing with an inadequate trunk, an uncomfortable seat, and an engine that gets better mileage, but throws a noticeable buzz through the handlebars. Your comfort was never considered. The ability to traverse long distances was not a priority.

This is where buying a motorcycle from a company that is primarily an automotive manufacture may put us at a disadvantage. Auto makers have all bought into the notion that the planet is going to burn to ash in 12 years unless they design vehicles that get an extra 3 miles per gallon. That is why many new cars (and even Goldwings in Europe and Canada) have this stupid start/stop technology. Let me ask our Canadian friends a question. If start/stop was a $10 option on a Goldwing, would you pay the $10 to have it?

This motorcycle was designed to be lighter and the engine was designed to be more efficient. Mission accomplished. It does not matter that YOU don't like the smaller trunk. It does not matter that YOU don't like the 112mph speed limiter. It does not matter that YOU don't like the vibration coming through the handlebars. It does not matter than YOU don't find the seat comfortable. In fact, if you are uncomfortable, you will ride less and expend even less fuel. They are saving the planet. You see, Honda is smarter than you. They are "enlightened", and you will just have to suck it up and live with it.

Now when we get to things like the worst GPS every designed being put on the new flagship Goldwing, that is not an environment decision, that is an automotive company trying to build a motorcycle. They put cheap, crap GPS in their cars, so why not use the same system in their motorcycles? After all, Honda already has a contract with Harman for their cars, so instead of paying Garmin $35 per motorcycle built, they can pay Harman only $20 per unit. That is how an MBA (probably American educated) makes the decision. If they can shave $15 (or $20 ot $50) off the cost of a motorcycle, they will become a big hero at the company. It is irrelevant that the GPS is useless for motorcycle duty. YOUR (the customer) experience never came into the equation!

Now, in spite of all the environmental requirements and stupid business decisions, the new Goldwing is still an amazing motorcycle. But, it is in spite of it, not because of it.

What was missing in the design of the new Goldwing was a passionate Goldwing evangalist fighting the engineers and design team throughout the process. If Honda had availed itself of just one or two Goldwing evangalists like myself, or Fred Harmon or Rocky, or any of 100 other Goldwing faithful, and given them a real seat at the table while these decisions are being made, this 7th generation Goldwing would have been something truly special. But, companies don't build motorcycle (or cars) for consumer anymore. They build for government regulations and environmental agendas. That is why you see comapanies pouring billions into electric car technology that nobody wants and nobody is asking for. Nobody has told them that gas is only $2.50 a gallon.

It may sound like I am just *****ing and complaining about the new Goldwing, and in a way, I am. I love the bike, but it falls short of what I was expecting from a new Goldwing. I can live with a smaller trunk, but goddamit it should be able to hold two friggin' helmets. I can't even fit ONE large helmet unless I remove my Bluetooth communicator. And, for the first time on any Goldwing, moisture can form on the inside of the clear dash causing it to fog. What the HELL? Do you know that it will take about 4 hours to get the dash off to clean it? And, what's to prevent it from fogging up again? Nothing.

It is a great motorcycle, but it falls short of what it could have been. Sadly, this is the last Goldwing most of us will ever see.

YMMV
        PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• GWRider
          GWRider commented
          Editing a comment

so all the short comings of previous GWs pale in comparison to not being able to fit 2 full sized helmets in the trunk? the ability to add 2 helmets in the trunk wouldve made this the BEST wing ever? is that what you just said? so in your mind, which one is the best GW of all time?

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

Originally posted by Drgsin View Post
          so all the short comings of previous GWs pale in comparison to not being able to fit 2 full sized helmets in the trunk? the ability to add 2 helmets in the trunk wouldve made this the BEST wing ever? is that what you just said? so in your mind, which one is the best GW of all time?
          If all you know about the previous Goldwings is "You wouldn't buy one"

Then you absolutely know "Nothing about the Heritage of the GL Product line".

That's not BS, That's just the Facts.

Honda started R&D in 2006. Those of us familiar with Honda Goldwing's expected more. WE know the History of these bikes better than first time owners,
          Who think they do!

After all Honda claimed they built over 100 proto types. And this is what they expect loyal owners to swallow?

I don't think so!!

Honda had a several invites of Newer Goldwing owners
          The first round you had to own a 2006 or up to get invited.(To Torrance HQ)
          The last round you had to own a 2015 to get invited. (To Torrance HQ)

Honda trying to get current owners opinions on what they were building for the future at the Torrance Headquarters.

So before you shoot the messenger, First Know WTF you are talking about,

Or better yet, Take a reading comprehension course. instead of coming up with SAWG's.

And Lastly. To your last question.
          so in your mind, which one is the best GW of all time?
          That is easy.

The One You Are Riding Right Now.
          Current bikes.
          1986 GL1200 SEi
          2004 GL1800

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            ROTFLMAO. You buy with your eyes.

Some of us have higher standards.

• Drgsin
            Drgsin commented
            Editing a comment
            that too. its definitely the best looking wing ever made, unlike those tupperware boxed wings of the past. so in summary... the best braking wing ever made. the most nimble wing ever made. the best handling wing ever made. the quickest wing ever made. the most technologically advanced wing ever made.

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            ROTFLMBO.
            Clearly You know nothing about wings of the past.

All you bought was new plastic.

Try learning about each and every Model of Goldwing ever produced before you embarrass yourself again.

With all that I read here and you are still calling it a great bike? Is that because you spent so much time and money on it? Or are you simply venting because you spent so much money? Things that make you say .....hmmm...
          2007 GL1800 level1
          2015 Hannigan Trike n 2009 Tailwind

• Drgsin
            Drgsin commented
            Editing a comment
            hahahahaha.

• GWRider
            GWRider commented
            Editing a comment
            biglefti Spot on analogy!

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            biglefti. I can certainly understanding you getting a lighter bike you can handle.
            Getting old suks!

Naysayers are mostly Jealous about the new bike.
          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

ROTFLMBO. The OP owns a new ST1800.

He like everyone else has a right to share his Pros & Cons.

Some of the new owners get all bent out of shape.
            if someone discusses likes or dislikes,on what they too bought.

Why is that??.

Buying a new bike isn't like book of face!! "Everyone doesn't have to Like It"

It is what it is.

If you like the bike so much. "Why aren't you out riding it instead of on the net bickering?"
            Current bikes.
            1986 GL1200 SEi
            2004 GL1800

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              if you like your old wing why are YOU on here participating in a discussion about a bike you dont like instead of riding?

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              Same thing you are-Kicking cages!

Back surgery, S1-L4...2 Weeks ago. Im dying to get behind bars again.
            PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by INTHEWIND View Post
              Back surgery, S1-L4...2 Weeks ago. Im dying to get behind bars again.
              So Randy. What on earth did you say to your Wife,
              That she kicked your azz so bad you needed back surgery?

We'd all like to know so we don't tick our wife off in the same manner.

Heal Safely buddy.
              Current bikes.
              1986 GL1200 SEi
              2004 GL1800

It is a motorcycle for God's sake. When it rains, you'll get wet. When the temperature drops, you'll get cold. What more do you want?

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

So Randy. What on earth did you say to your Wife,
                  That she kicked your azz so bad you needed back surgery?

We'd all like to know so we don't tick our wife off in the same manner.

Heal Safely buddy.
                  I wish it was my wife Rocky, it was 70 years of abuse and heredity, with a little arthritis thrown in.
                  If I would of known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself. Hardy Har Har.

Thanks Buddy.

Might give it a try this weekend, nice weather = a little time behind bars. To hell with what the Dr. says, he doesn't ride, what does he know.
                  PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

I'm with GregB. This is the BEST WING EVER!
                    35k on the 2018. My wife and I just finished a 12k romp across the USA. No trailer! We added the Corbin luggage doors just before this trip and the side-bags now hold our old Honda-bags just fine. We ONLY use the Honda GPS and it works GREAT with Honda Trip Planner. Shortcomings? Yes, but that is part of what makes the trip more fun. Finding ourselves on a gravel road and wondering whether to turn around or gravel-on makes it more fun; kind of like getting "lost". We knick-named the GPS-voice "Shirley" as we surely want to make a U-turn, or we surely want to turn into this river in order to pick up a waypoint. Surely the GPS knows best how to get over the mountain better than we do. I have found similar problems with any GPS. We learn to adapt and follow our noses instead of Shirley. Sometimes she was right, sometimes we have more creative routes, and sometimes either choice is good.

We got our seat fixed by WingSoft last year at Knoxville WingDing. I have always found motorcycle seats need "fixing". We added the bar-end helmet holders you recommended, Cruiseman, and they work just great. As mentioned by others, the trunk is always full so it doesn't matter whether it could ever hold a helmet or two. I WOULD have preferred it if Honda had kept the beneath-trunk helmet-holders, but others have pointed out how to ADD these to the current model. Someday, I may modify the trunk with these, but we seem to do fine with the bar-holders or just taking the helmets with us.

As a former Harley-guy, modifying a motorcycle is what makes it "yours"; I recall buying an Ultra Classic with custom pipes, air filter, and electronic ignition adjuster right off the showroom floor (don't need these with the Wing) We GoldWingers are great customizers, as well. Yes, Honda could have done better, but there is no perfect motorcycle for everyone. YOU make it perfect for YOU. Besides, the aftermarket vendors always want bikes to have some "shortcomings" to allow a good product market and the new Wing offers this as does every other production bike.

This bike is the most comfortable-to-ride motorcycle we have owned. Yes, we even prefer it over our prior-model GW. It is the better suspension, better power-band, lighter weight, better handling, beautiful electronics, Bluetooth, and lack-of-buttons that make this the right bike for our touring needs. The far-better gas mileage helps, too!

We can't beat the new Wing as a "perfect" bike for us, as customized by us!

Ride On! Doug

• Drgsin
                      Drgsin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      well said brother..its like i wrote it myself...except for the best GW Ive ever owned line. Id never buy one of those old behemoths.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

Greg, I LOVE the bike, but I could have loved it even more, and more people out there could have loved it if only Honda had made a handful of tweaks. These shortcomings are unforced errors on Honda's part. There is NO legitimate reason for this motorcycle to have a trunk incapable of holding two full-face helmets. Just NO excuse. How many people have decided NOT to buy the new Goldwing just because of that one reason alone? It would not have cost Honda any more money to have a slightly larger trunk and it would not have negatively impacted the design.

As it is, it sort of falls in between a touring bike and a sport-touring bike.
                    So true - and what's more baffling is their omission of a second external helmet lock - just one on the left side of the bike above the saddlebag? So the passenger needs to carry their helmet into the restaurant?

I'm new to the Gold Wing - just bought mine 6 weeks ago (and got the 4K service yesterday) but I am glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes how retarded the GPS is.

But speaking of saving $4 cost on the $30K bike - I found out that adding a 12V adapter (you know, to power a portable compressor on the off chance you get a flat) is an enormous task! 7 pages of instructions sent to the dealer - they haven't figured out how many hours will be needed. Suffice to say removing the seat and mirrors (WTF??) along with a gaggle of other parts just to hook in what should have been a standard part belies the bean-counting methodologies at play. So while the 5V USB connector is cute and all, and can charge the phone (while baking it to a crisp of course) those idiots (is that not strong enough a word?) omitted what should be a basic component, and make installing one in the after market a freaking act of god?

So, Cruiseman, a well written screed indeed - but my bet is that Honda could care less. After all, by all accounts the motorcycle industry in the US is cratering (them youngin's have been protected by their helicopter parents and apparently feel that everything must be totally safe at all times because life is, you know, scary!) so perhaps at the end of the day Honda just doesn't care.

One can only wonder if any Honda engineers or designers are in this forum and read these comments...

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I thought they were coming with connector pigtails directly attached to the bike's battery for this very purpose (compressor, heated jacket liners, etc.).

No common 'cigarette-lighter' style connectors are used for things like compressors on this bike; not enough current on the circuit that's the default circuit on the bike.
                  Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page