Why The New Goldwing Is Not The BEST Goldwing Ever Built

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a great motorcycle. Better than my BMW K1600. My only real complaint would be the seat. However to be honest except for previous Goldwings I've had I replaced the seat on almost all my previous bikes. Stock seats were never well thought out.

You could nitpick any motorcycle out there. The Goldwing was downsized to attract younger riders. Motorcycle sales here in the U.S. are way down from just 5 years ago. Cruiseman thinks this may be the last Goldwing, it will probably be the last gasoline powered Goldwing.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

My take on the whole change is everyone was already riding a great motorcycle, but it was 16yrs old. Even though it was still the best, Honda was forced to update or eliminate the goldwing. To update the existing goldwing to things people wanted would set the cost well over $30,000, so another way to do it was make everything smaller, cheaper made ect to cut costs so they could offer the dimwit DCT and other things like better front suspension, and adjustable windshield. So they cut $6,000 in quality the old model had to shreads to enable adding features that riders were asking for and it canceled out any huge price increase. Kind of like buying a bag of potato chips, you used to get 16oz for $x.xx, Instead of doubling the price over time, they cut the bag to 8oz without a price hike but has a more fancier looking bag that was necessary.

“Dimwit DCT”? Have you tried it? It’s awesome!

I'm glad I bought a brand new 2016 and saved $8000 off original retail. I looked at the 2018 but am very happy with my decision-especially after hearing your complaints over and over by many people.
          I also considered a BMW 1600 which was a great ride but more of a sport bike and a smaller feel like the new GW.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
            If everyone was as Thrilled with the new bike as some would have you believe.

Why are so many on the classifieds?

Things that make you go " Hmmmm?"
            Rocky please send me some links I am interested in buy a 2018 at a discount. I have searched all the place I know to look and I have only seen 1 or 2.

Thanks
            Charles

Originally posted by cpfuller View Post

Rocky please send me some links I am interested in buy a 2018 at a discount. I have searched all the place I know to look and I have only seen 1 or 2.

Thanks
              Charles
              Here ya go. (Gathered when I made my post)

https://www.cycletrader.com/2018-Hon...ar=2018%3A2018

https://motorcycles.autotrader.com/m..._wing-for-sale

600 miles https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...lic-5007978450
              1819 miles. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...DCT-5008293882
              2004 miles. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ver-5002814112
              4938 miles. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ver-5007554815
              1822 miles. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...own-5007250693
              4938 miles. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ver-5007554815
              2242 miles. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...lue-5007038931

Last edited by Rocky; 07-09-2019, 08:39 PM. Reason: Edited to add a "e".so I don't get a ticket from the Spelling Cop. :tongueout:
              Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
              Current bikes.
              1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
              1986 GL1200 SEi
              2004 GL1800

Rocky ..why are you MAD at yer own post.....

it’s a great post but why all the anger?

Don't be mad be grateful that San Diego isn’t in the pacific.......

mattbcnv
                2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

• Rocky
                  Rocky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  kwthom- Like that's a secret?.

• kwthom
                  kwthom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Some around these parts might actually blieve that.

I no, wright?

• BOB2002
                  BOB2002 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not really a lot for sale considering.

Remember I before e except after c....

LOL

ken, you know I love ya too!!!!

mattbcnv
                2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

• kwthom
                  kwthom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No worries, Mattie!

Originally posted by RonH View Post
                My take on the whole change is everyone was already riding a great motorcycle, but it was 16yrs old. Even though it was still the best, Honda was forced to update or eliminate the goldwing. To update the existing goldwing to things people wanted would set the cost well over $30,000, so another way to do it was make everything smaller, cheaper made ect to cut costs so they could offer the dimwit DCT and other things like better front suspension, and adjustable windshield. So they cut $6,000 in quality the old model had to shreads to enable adding features that riders were asking for and it canceled out any huge price increase. Kind of like buying a bag of potato chips, you used to get 16oz for $x.xx, Instead of doubling the price over time, they cut the bag to 8oz without a price hike but has a more fancier looking bag that was necessary.
                Have you rode a new Wing? Best Wing ever!

• Rocky
                  Rocky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm sure we all know what an automatic feels like.

I have owned the 2018 DCT Tour since May 2018. In March 2019 I converted the bike to a trike when the CSC kit became available. The improvements in the suspension were the reason I elected the 2018 over a left-over 2017. And, I have continued to enjoy the bike on day trips ... knowing the GPS is "weak", the CB volume is low, and - for me - the audio bass response from the infotainment was "tinny". But, I just returned from a 10 day long-distance tour ... my main reason for owning a Wing. Even with the Wing Soft saddle enhancement, I will need a custom saddle to survive future tours. The "tinny" audio becomes annoying, so I cut the volume down (or off). I couldn't elect the bike's speakers, because the CB audio would also be directed there ... and, the volume is so low that it is lost in the road noise. Even with the CB at max volume in my helmet, I often (almost ALWAYS) had to ask for the message to be repeated while on the highway. So, this was a very frustrating tour from a bike that I have enjoyed ... until now. I'm going to work with J&M to see if the audio can be improved, because - failing that - this bike falls very short of my needs in a touring motorcycle. I'll put a custom saddle on this bike in an instant ... AFTER the audio is fixed.
                My 2003 still is ready to go. I may hold on to it a bit longer until there is a decision about the 2018. I may find myself trading 2 bikes for a 2017 left-over to trike. That is frustrating to me .... as I really have liked the new bike ... but, it fails as a long-distance tourer in it's current configuration!

These are my needs & expectations. As always, your mileage may vary ... it's a great bike for some applications.
                2018 red GL1800 DCT Tour w/ 2019 CSC Encore
                2003 red GL1800A w/ 2013 CSC Cobra XL

My wife looked at the 2018 in a dealer showroom and she was not impressed. She noticed the small top box right away without me saying a word. I convinced her to at least sit on it but after about five seconds she said, "Nope"! End of discussion. Not only did Honda fail to listen to Gold Wing drivers, they totally ignored the passenger and that is a huge mistake.

• Drgsin
                    Drgsin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    she just didnt want you spending money, lol.

Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
                  My wife looked at the 2018 in a dealer showroom and she was not impressed. She noticed the small top box right away without me saying a word. I convinced her to at least sit on it but after about five seconds she said, "Nope"! End of discussion. Not only did Honda fail to listen to Gold Wing drivers, they totally ignored the passenger and that is a huge mistake.
                  I realize that Honda was designing this for a younger rider, but even a young rider wants a trunk where he or she can store a helmet.
                  GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                  Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• Gizmo
                    Gizmo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HD has become the touring bike leader almost by default with most touring riders.

• kwthom
                    kwthom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Uh...

If we surmise that 'touring rider' is a rider that is willing to travel 10,000 miles or more per year, I'm just not so sure about that statement.

If we twist your words (slightly...) to say "touring bike owner" and believe that these people would not ordinarily ride more than 7,000 or 8,000 miles per year (e.g. one or two long trips) annually, then you might be right.

It’s the best goldwing i’ve ever owned

I would have never considered a Goldwing if it was still as big and bulbous as the previous model. I was not a fan of the Oldwing. The previous generation of wing riders are getting up there if they are still around. Honda has to look into the future to grab at the younger crowd. It’s hard to sell to the old guys who have retired from riding. Some of you are hanging in there but I doubt there are many bike purchases left in that generation. I for one love the new wing! Thank you Honda for trying to improve a tired old design. I never thought I would want to own let alone own a Goldwing!

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Was this a comment originally written around 2002??

• Drgsin
                      Drgsin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      i agree. i wouldve never bought an updated version of a 2017. neither would the 3 guys I know that have converted from harleys and yamaha

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Seriously...same argument happened I'm sure GL1500 vs GL1800, since it too was a volume size reduction between the 'oldwing' and the 'newwing'

Click image for larger versionName:	Stupid.JPGViews:	0Size:	24.5 KBID:	116514

Careful or some oldman may show you how to handle a Real Bike.
                    Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                    Current bikes.
                    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                    1986 GL1200 SEi
                    2004 GL1800

• Madrebel
                      Madrebel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Roflmbo 😂😂😂

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                    To sort of summarize what I see as the problem: The Prime Directive was "Build a lighter more fuel efficient Goldwing", not "Build the best most comfortable and most appealing motorcycle".
                    but thats how every car has evolved over time. smaller, more efficient. its been true in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc... way before this design was being developed. as far as comfort, youre not going to please everyone. people have been changing their goldwing seats, wind screens, etc.. and adding comfort pieces on every gen GW. as far as esthetics, theres no better looking bike out there IMO, except for some of the track bikes, (ducati, BMW, etc...). is there a push for global conservation, definitely in every phase of transportation, but i dont think it was the major driving force in play here. the GW became HUGE! just like the 10ft long hooded cars of the 70s. the size had to be reduced.

Originally posted by Drgsin View Post

but thats how every car has evolved over time. smaller, more efficient. its been true in the 60's, 70's, 80's etc... way before this design was being developed. as far as comfort, youre not going to please everyone. people have been changing their goldwing seats, wind screens, etc.. and adding comfort pieces on every gen GW. as far as esthetics, theres no better looking bike out there IMO, except for some of the track bikes, (ducati, BMW, etc...). is there a push for global conservation, definitely in every phase of transportation, but i dont think it was the major driving force in play here. the GW became HUGE! just like the 10ft long hooded cars of the 70s. the size had to be reduced.
                      I guess my response to that is simply "If Honda introduced a slightly larger replacement trunk that would hold 2 helmets comfortable, with the same design as the current trunk, how many owners would stand in line to pay $1,200 for that option?"
                      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• Drgsin
                        Drgsin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        thats a great question because most that complain are too cheap to buy quality stuff. they whined about the saddle bags but when corbin came up with a quality solution, they whined about the money. chances are those people wouldnt buy the new bike anyways. they prefer the size of the old one and just wish it had new tech. im not riding the goldwing around town for fun, so the helmet thing doesnt apply to me. when its loaded for a trip, the trunk is packed so it wouldnt matter to me if the trunk DID fit 2 melon sized helmets. i recall you getting two helmets in there!

• kwthom
                        kwthom commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh, like the option on the Tour that removes the trunk??

No...sadly, Honda has screwed that up.

I love my 18 goldwing. Nav is not the best but I don’t use the one in my truck either. 13500 on it so far and No problems except the small trunk. Avg 45 mpg on a recent rd trip to Austin from Calif, 2 up and a rack on the hitch with dry bag . Bike handles winds great and I had them everyday we rode to Texas I think a lot of people were expecting more from the redesign and maybe Honda could have listen to long term riders of the bike regarding the design. Just remember what you like may not be at all comfortable for me, just saying. Not having the funds to purchase several bikes to compare the Wing to I think Honda did a good job. I think the design appeals to a lot of probably younger riders, who don’t want the touring look but are enthused about the sportier look. Harley’s are to front heavy and the k1600 made me feel like I was in a cocoon Is the wing perfect, no but it is fun to ride. To watch people’s jaws drop, when your in sport mode on your touring bike side by side with a Porsche or other type sport car is an awesome sight.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page