10,000 Mile Bike Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 10,000 Mile Bike Review

    https://youtu.be/SKTo5Lf9oAM

    Click image for larger version

Name:	10k Review.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	116009
    Attached Files
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

    Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos


  • #2
    Cruiseman, couldn't agree more with most of your evaluation with a couple of additions. I bought my GL1800 Tour Manual in March of 2018. Unfortunately, I still don't have many miles on the bike due to weather and an unexpected injury (not bike related) and the variety of other bikes I have a choice in riding. Hands down, the size of the rear box is the biggest failing of this bike. It's almost become a point of such inconvenience that the Mrs. has lost interest in riding with me! You may have mentioned it in your first 8,000 mile review, but there is no excuse for this motorcycle being delivered without a comfortable seat unrivaled by any aftermarket seat manufacturer! For Honda to offer an optional accessory comfort seat is like rubbing salt into a wound. I also wish the "Hill Assist" feature on the Goldwing did not have a limited "hold" time. The current Honda automobiles with "Hill Assist" hold indefinitely until the clutch is engaged or the vehicle accelerates from a stop. The transition off "Hill Assist" is also transparent, which on the Goldwing it is not! Lastly, the drive by wire is ghastly! Other than Rain or Economy mode, it is way to abrupt at just about any throttle application to a point of being unsafe. I've seen some of the remarks by DCT owners as calling it a "surge" at slow speeds, especially in Sport mode. The excuse of ride by wire being either on or off is inexcusable. I have four Ducati's that are ride by wire and none of them demonstrate the sudden lurch from off or on throttle as does this Goldwing. There has to be a better algorithm in the software for the ECU to better control off/on throttle acceleration.

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      Originally posted by whl3 View Post
      Cruiseman, couldn't agree more with most of your evaluation with a couple of additions. I bought my GL1800 Tour Manual in March of 2018. Unfortunately, I still don't have many miles on the bike due to weather and an unexpected injury (not bike related) and the variety of other bikes I have a choice in riding. Hands down, the size of the rear box is the biggest failing of this bike. It's almost become a point of such inconvenience that the Mrs. has lost interest in riding with me! You may have mentioned it in your first 8,000 mile review, but there is no excuse for this motorcycle being delivered without a comfortable seat unrivaled by any aftermarket seat manufacturer! For Honda to offer an optional accessory comfort seat is like rubbing salt into a wound. I also wish the "Hill Assist" feature on the Goldwing did not have a limited "hold" time. The current Honda automobiles with "Hill Assist" hold indefinitely until the clutch is engaged or the vehicle accelerates from a stop. The transition off "Hill Assist" is also transparent, which on the Goldwing it is not! Lastly, the drive by wire is ghastly! Other than Rain or Economy mode, it is way to abrupt at just about any throttle application to a point of being unsafe. I've seen some of the remarks by DCT owners as calling it a "surge" at slow speeds, especially in Sport mode. The excuse of ride by wire being either on or off is inexcusable. I have four Ducati's that are ride by wire and none of them demonstrate the sudden lurch from off or on throttle as does this Goldwing. There has to be a better algorithm in the software for the ECU to better control off/on throttle acceleration.
      It is feasible that the ride-by-wire harshness could be resolved by re-programming the ECM. Not sure about Hill Assist, however. I agree with you.
      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

      Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        My rider rubber foot pads look like yours. 9.5K miles, They wear too fast, warranty item??
        PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          Wear item. (Cheap rubber recipe)

      • #5
        Keep an eye on the foot rest "rubbers" When you notice wear. switch them side to side. They wear mostly on either the forward or rear edge.
        Had the same problem with my 2001. I buy replacement ones from trike dealers, they have new take offs for half the price.

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #6
          Buy a BMW and you will never look back at Honda,

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #7
            Originally posted by rlane View Post
            Buy a BMW and you will never look back at Honda,
            Go to the BMW forum and we won't ever have to look at your lousy posts again. Can you read??? This is a Goldwing Forum. You've got 11 posts and you're trying to convert people that have been riding Goldwings half their life or longer. Heck of a guy. I wouldn't trade my Honda 50 Mini Trail for a BMW.

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • ShooterF6B
              ShooterF6B commented
              Editing a comment
              Pot calling the kettle black. Far as I know I'm not restricted. I say what I want. And if you don't like it that makes me happy. Guy is a jerk. Disliking the bike is ok but don't tell me what I should buy. And don't come on a GL1800 forum talking up a BMW. That's low rent. I would never go on a HD forum talking up a GL. It's disrespectful. You know that. But since you dislike me you choose to side with him. Anybody can see that.

            • Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              @Pistol pete. Just when I think you couldn't get any dumber than you are, You Impress me with more stupidity.

              Bravo Einstein!.

              BTW-You think way to much of yourself, if you think I dislike you.
              In Fact- I like dumb ignorant people like you.
              I get a good chuckle out of reading your rubbish.
              So "Carry on".

            • ShooterF6B
              ShooterF6B commented
              Editing a comment
              You're too funny Ricky. And you have a very high opinion of yourself. Seems to work for you though. Keep on digging that hole.

          • #8
            Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post

            Go to the BMW forum and we won't ever have to look at your lousy posts again. Can you read??? This is a Goldwing Forum. You've got 11 posts and you're trying to convert people that have been riding Goldwings half their life or longer. Heck of a guy. I wouldn't trade my Honda 50 Mini Trail for a BMW.
            LOL

            mattbcnv
            2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #9
              Originally posted by rlane View Post
              Buy a BMW and you will never look back at Honda,
              Just go away, you and your boat, you own a boat, yes?

              mattbcnv
              2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #10
                Just trying to help someone else from making the same mistake me and others made.

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #11
                  Originally posted by rlane View Post
                  Just trying to help someone else from making the same mistake me and others made.
                  You have as much right to dislike the bike you paid for.

                  as much as those who choose to ignore its short comings.


                  BTW- I'd stay and report how you like the new BMW, just to tick them off.
                  ************************************************** *******
                  You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

                  When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

                  Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                  "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                  Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X