Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive Low- add or replace

Like MANY other new 2018 GW owners, I found my final drive was about 1.5oz low from the dealer. I topped it off with Honda's Hypoid SAE80W90 oil. I've read some posts where people thought the gear oil from the factory was thinner than the recommended oil. My question is, should I replace the oil altogether or is adding sufficient?

Why have a question?

Drain & refill - then the question is answered.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Mikeal View Post
      My question is, should I replace the oil altogether or is adding sufficient?

The question to those people is.

"Do they think Honda would be stupid enough to use the wrong oil?, as out lined on page 146 of their owners manual. (Lol)"

Click image for larger version  Name:	DRIVE FLUID.JPG Views:	6 Size:	140.4 KB ID:	115945

BTW-Top off and enjoy the ride.
      You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
      "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

I wonder if this low oil level is a cost management thing. Honda factory will not fill from the bottle, they will likely fill from a metered supply hose on the assembly line. This is probably why so many of us are finding the final drive oil about the same amount low. So by dialing the amount of oil added back a little - save some $$ on assembly over many bikes? The gear box is fairly low heat with little to no chance for dirt intrusion so I am not sure its necessary to go overboard on the oil. I drained mine and filled it with the standard Honda 80/90 oil $6 and 15 min. Keep records of maintenance done on the bike in case there are issues.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Regardless on why it's shipped low (intentionally?) from the factory in this way, it's an issue with the dealers who are NOT doing all of the steps in the dealer setup process correctly on every bike.

A few early on? Okay...until it was learned that these are all of the 'gotchas' to look after *before* the bike is ridden the first time.

Recently? That's just messed up right there.

Don't know about the full Wing but almost every F6B produced was less than half full. In my opinion a good dealership would check that as part of the initial setup. Most don't.

Its all money thing the factory gets them out to dealer were there suppose to check them ??? prior to us buying them. I just changed mine and all my levels are good but were low prior to me buying the ride from my dealer i checked all of them before i signed for the motorcycle.
          2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Truth of the matter is. "Honda has a History" of shipping the bike low on fluids.

The Blame lies with the selling dealer to FILL all the fluids.
            After all WTF do they charge "Dealer set up" for?

Unless you are standing there watching them check your fluids?

You'd better check them yourself.
            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
            "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
              Truth of the matter is. "Honda has a History" of shipping the bike low on fluids.

The Blame lies with the selling dealer to FILL all the fluids.
              After all WTF do they charge "Dealer set up" for?

Unless you are standing there watching them check your fluids?

You'd better check them yourself.
              Yes this problem goes all the way back to the 2001 GL1800 and may have gone back even farther than that. When I bought my '01 I had the tech check the level in the dealers parking lot where the bike had been parked for about 45 minutes and it was very low. Thats the result of having the 16 yr old kid who sweeps the floor perform the fluid checks.
              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
              Jimi Hendrix
              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

The question to those people is.

"Do they think Honda would be stupid enough to use the wrong oil?, as out lined on page 146 of their owners manual. (Lol)"

Click image for larger version Name:	DRIVE FLUID.JPG Views:	6 Size:	140.4 KB ID:	115945

BTW-Top off and enjoy the ride.
                  They need to change the SAE80w gear oil recommendation. Nobody except Bel-Ray makes that anymore.
                  PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

simple to do, just drain and refill.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page