Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 145 mph reached

Testing on the 2018 has begun, the 112 limit is gone and theyve reached 145 before shutting it down because of dyno concerns. I read it as more is possible. we'll wait and see.

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

Can you provide a link to back that up
    Last edited by RoadRat; 06-13-2019, 10:27 AM. Reason: found the info
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Just to stir the pot a tad..

I'm waiting to see how long that thread lasts over there??.

I'm rather surprised Fred would post a second thread about a re-flash.

After all he had the mods Delete, his last thread because of how the goody two shoes were trash talking going over 112.

As was noted in other Threads. "Honda does have someone watching message boards" for background intel.

So much so they already commented on Warranty being voided, if they catch (And its already built into the ECM) a altered ECM.

That being said.

It was stupid of a 112 MPH limit in the first place. (When I heard that -I figured Don (Gulh) would be involved in removing that limiter)

The ST1800 was designed this way for many reasons before Honda settled on its current form.

A Dyno means nothing unless you have a record of actual on Road Radar testing.

So knowing Goldwingers. Who is going to be the first to see how big their sack is for testing to 145 MPH (est 135 on a road)

Let the Games begin.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
      "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
      Current bikes.
      1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
      1986 GL1200 SEi
      2004 GL1800

• Denman46
        Denman46 commented
        Editing a comment
        “Stupid 112 mph limit”. I thought the drive for that limit came from E.U. pressure about limiting speed to 200kph and Honda making the decision to limit it worldwide to keep one standard. Straighten me out Rocky, please.

• Rocky
        Rocky commented
        Editing a comment
        1/2 way down the article is where Honda says why they stuck to the 112 limit.
        It will be interesting to see what the water temps do above sustained 112 (After the re-flash)

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ld-wing-gl1800

"The Gold Wing is limited to 180km/h (112mph) – why is that?
        What we wanted to do was not develop a motorcycle that’s achieving high top speeds like 200km/h plus – that’s not a something you’d usually use, so we didn’t want to sacrifice the practical areas for that. We made the design sleeker, which resulted in a slightly smaller radiator – with the current "heat management", the bike is capable of running at 200km/h, but if you really want to focus on that top speed you’d probably have to sacrifice other areas, which we thought were more important. We wanted to really maximise the areas in which the motorcycle was designed to be useful."

BTW. 200 kp/h =124.274 mph. (Which I think is a more realistic top end for passing a long line of slowpokes).

I copied the two graphs before Fred Pulls the plug again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018GL1800SpeedGearDerestricted OEM.PNG
Views:	821
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	115392

After Re-flash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018GL1800SpeedGear  Re-Flash.PNG
Views:	840
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	115391

Current bikes.
      1986 GL1200 SEi
      2004 GL1800

haha...yea the whole thread went out of control by those that whined about the warranty and the recklessness of doing anything over 70. as a matter of fact one guy chimed in already. when it comes down to it, i dont think many will do it, at least until their warranty runs out. a lot of people talk. but the few that do it, dont care about warranty issues. ive hit the limiter several times just to see what happens. not interested in doing 145 or whatever they settle on. i just want to be able to pass a long line of cars without it falling on its face 3/4 of the way through. hopefully that would be taken care of. it doesnt happen very often so ill be waiting till my warranty expires.

Originally posted by Drgsin View Post
          haha...yea the whole thread went out of control by those that whined about the warranty and the recklessness of doing anything over 70. as a matter of fact one guy chimed in already. when it comes down to it, i dont think many will do it, at least until their warranty runs out. a lot of people talk. but the few that do it, dont care about warranty issues. ive hit the limiter several times just to see what happens. not interested in doing 145 or whatever they settle on. i just want to be able to pass a long line of cars without it falling on its face 3/4 of the way through. hopefully that would be taken care of. it doesnt happen very often so ill be waiting till my warranty expires.
          Ditto, it needs a tad more but not over the OEM tire rating.
          kiptap - Paul
          Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
          1979 Kawasaki Z 200
          1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
          1996 Honda GL 1500SE
          2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

I'm more worried that my warranty will expire before the bikes warranty being 72 years old. The 112 MPH limit on this bike is just wrong I've hit it twice this year without even trying on two long passing situations. I'm waiting for the finished product, I had Don's remap on my 2012 worked great !

I hate restrictions of any type. Your ability and common sense should be your restriction. What happened to building a motor and letting wind resistance and HP be your limit. Speed limiters suck. They are dangerous in certain situations. The 112 limit is ridiculous. My B used to be limited to like 127 or something like that. I didn't really have a problem with that one although it isn't in place any more. I never hit that 127 limit on accident. I know that 112 would be an issue. Especially in a passing situation. I think Honda screwed the pooch on that one. No disrespect to you guys that own one. I just think Honda did you a disservice.

Yea 112 is even Silly to me and I really don’t ride that fast..... keeping in line with “Europe” is just crazy, next thing you know we will be eating lung and intestines boiled in a mammals stomach...... this is America and speed, freedom and do what WE want to do is slipping further away everyday.....
                political correctness is ruining America as we know it..... let’s see how many Ferrari’s and “lambos” they sell with a 112 mph limiter on them.... f’ ing STUPID!!!

God Bless the people like DG who make it their mission to correct the incorrect.....

mattbcnv...

Alaska....

2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

• ShooterF6B
                  ShooterF6B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good post Matt. I'm sorry about that Pearl Stallion Brown comment I made the other day. It is a nice color. LMAO

• Mattbcnv
                  Mattbcnv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol FB6 no offense taken.... I love my $h!T brown wing!!!!!

I doubt if I will ever take my bike in for warranty issues, but in the event I ever need to, I will just buy a new ecm and put it in until I get the bike back.

• ShooterF6B
                  ShooterF6B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's basically what I did. I kept my original ecm virgin. Put it in a ziplock and stored it in the cabinet. It has my info in it. Bought a doner off eBay and sent it to Guhl.

So....does the ECM need to be removed and sent in, or is this a flash that can be done via the OBD port?

• biglefti
                  biglefti commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's only in testing stage. That info will come when the product is ready.

Fred Harmon has a shortcut way to remove the ECM, no need to remove the top shelter.
                PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by biglefti View Post
                  I doubt if I will ever take my bike in for warranty issues, but in the event I ever need to, I will just buy a new ecm and put it in until I get the bike back.
                  Might be kinda hard to find a used DCT ECM. New would work too.
                  PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

112 is plenty fast enough for me now a days don't need the speed any more.
                    2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Just to set the record straight.

Common Sense is Required here!

This Flash not only "Includes" the removal of the 112 speed limiter.

But many other adjustments that may or may not help your bike?

It would be prudent to Wait.

To see what is included in all of the changes, that will be explained

After the Flash is released and a price point is revealed.

If after learning what is included in the re-flash, is something you desire?

Great Buy it.

If it's not for you?

Then don't buy it!

No need for a "I never speed" party here.

No one is holding a gun to your head to buy it, are they?

************************************************** *******
                      Current bikes.
                      1986 GL1200 SEi
                      2004 GL1800

• BOB2002
                        BOB2002 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have dealt with Don before if you just want the limiter removed or set to a higher speed I'm sure it be no problem. I intend to just have mine raised to 125 and have Don verify the fuel/air ratio is correct I'm happy with it just as it is.

I agree with Rocky. And there will be changes to the initial product. Undesireable traits will surface and modifications will be made. Wait a year or so. I think the flash in my B was the third version. I don't think there has been any more versions on the older wings. I think Don will upgrade you to the newer version for little or no charge but the work it takes to get the ecm out and the fact that the bike is down would make me want to wait. There will be enough guys jump on it right away and the glitches will be worked out fairly quickly.

Well, I bought the bike site unseen 5 months before it was delivered to me. No regrets! I'll buy the ECM mod as soon as I can, no regrets! At my age, waiting a year gains me nothing and loses me a lot! Joys of being old!

• biglefti
                          biglefti commented
                          Editing a comment
                          BTW, I can get the ECM out of the bike in 30 minutes.........what's the big deal about that?

biglefti commented BTW, I can get the ECM out of the bike in 30 minutes.........what's the big deal about that?
                        The problem in "Your" case, isn't getting the ECM out in 30 minutes. But with your goofy memory loss,

By the time you get it out, And its shipped across the country,
                        And how much times passes before you get it back.
                        You'll never remember how to put it back in??.

You can't remember what you typed or did 15 minutes ago.

Ask Cruiseman how to set up a Camera to tape the disassembly.

Then just playback the tape in reverse. (No need to Thank me for helpin'). That's what I do!.
                        ************************************************** *******
                        Current bikes.
                        1986 GL1200 SEi
                        2004 GL1800

• biglefti
                          biglefti commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually I'm heading out for my summer trip in a month so I doubt if I will get it before then. However, if it becomes available while I'm on the road, I may just make a small detour to PA and do a ride in.

• Rocky
                          Rocky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Plan B, Will take care of the memory loss for sure.

• biglefti
                          biglefti commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep it sure would.

Originally posted by Yellowbird View Post
                        112 is plenty fast enough for me now a days don't need the speed any more.
                        I’ve reached that speed numerous times, passing large lorries in the mtn passes. I just want what I had on my previous GL1800 . . . 130 mph. Not much to ask, is it??

from what is being said, youll be able to detune sport mode and "up" tune tour mode...etc.. via different fuel mappings .. like Rocky said. just wait and see what the final service offers. as far as replacement ECMs there's no way that each one is programmed to a specific bike, so the dealer would know whether or not its a replacement? are they just plug and play?

• biglefti
                            biglefti commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just plug and play. Well, three plugs and play.
                        Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page