More carying capacity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More carying capacity

I am planning several week long trips with a lady partner and welcome any suggestions for additional capacity. What rack for the non touring ? Bill

Originally posted by Kawmagnum View Post
    I am planning several week long trips with a lady partner and welcome any suggestions for additional capacity. What rack for the non touring ? Bill
    Personally, I'd go for one of the large packs that sit on the passenger's seat. Lots to choose from on RevZilla.
    2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour in Pearl Hawkseye Blue. Goldstrike LED Trunk Light Kit, Electrical Connection Fog Light Kit, Show Chrome GT Tour Multifunction LED Cowl Light Kit, Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Decoupling Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Dip Stick Extender, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Lock Pin.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by Doug Bohman View Post

Personally, I'd go for one of the large packs that sit on the passenger's seat. Lots to choose from on RevZilla.
      Not sure if that will work for him if he has a passenger sitting on that seat.
      Costa Mesa, CA
      2012 RED GL1800

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post

Not sure if that will work for him if he has a passenger sitting on that seat.
        That was stupid. Fingers talking before the brain kicks in. Duh!
        2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour in Pearl Hawkseye Blue. Goldstrike LED Trunk Light Kit, Electrical Connection Fog Light Kit, Show Chrome GT Tour Multifunction LED Cowl Light Kit, Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Decoupling Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Dip Stick Extender, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Lock Pin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7c56ac4ae590dd56095077e8c6de0642.gif
Views:	471
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	115331
          You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
          "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

• Doug Bohman
            Doug Bohman commented
            Editing a comment
            Deservedly so.

• glarson3
            glarson3 commented
            Editing a comment
            I did say 'if' as it wasn't 100% clear the woman would be a passenger, or a rider. A quick search on Wingstuff didn't find any great options if she's a passenger. Maybe some type of bag that can attach where the luggage pack would normally be. Pack-it rack might be an option.

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            @glarson. It was a funny case of the keyboard out pacing the eyes.

We all BTDT.

Originally posted by Kawmagnum View Post
          Bill. there are lots of options for the non tour model.

Here is a low cost mount (For travel bag - etc)

https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can get a storage container that suits your needs.

Here is one with multiple features. That can be made to be removable real easy. (if you are handy with tools?)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075QF5C85...b-ed755edc8e8a

I'll toss the *other* part of the equation at ya...

How much d'ya really need?

Suggestion: Take your pile & her pile...the stuff you want for a week.

Now, go put half of those piles away.

Next, pack that on the bike in the comfort of your garage/carport/driveway.

Good luck!

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife & I did a two-week long trip with the '16 & the Rivco rack bag - washed clothes twice.

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
            I'll toss the *other* part of the equation at ya...

How much d'ya really need?

Suggestion: Take your pile & her pile...the stuff you want for a week.

Now, go put half of those piles away.

Next, pack that on the bike in the comfort of your garage/carport/driveway.

Good luck!
            If I read that right let me consider how this might work out. I create a pile, and she creates a pile. We take half of the piles away... That would be my pile...
            Costa Mesa, CA
            2012 RED GL1800

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, but in your case, she has her own bike to put her pile of stuff in.

kwthom commented
            51 minutes ago

My wife & I did a two-week long trip with the '16 & the Rivco rack bag - washed clothes twice.

Originally posted by glarson3 View Post
            If I read that right let me consider how this might work out. I create a pile, and she creates a pile. We take half of the piles away... That would be my pile...
            LMAO. Both of you have trailer's that are growing moss.

When I leave the barn, there is no way in hell I'm hanging out at a laundromat. (just saying)

• kwthom
              kwthom commented
              Editing a comment
              One was partially at a laundromat, since my buddy's dryer crapped out - while we were there! Thus, wet clothes went into the basket, we jumped into his truck, and off we went.

The other was at our other friend's place - I mean, how hard is it to do two loads of wash while visiting with them?

Put a trailer hitch on the back, and haul a trailer or get a carry rack.

Name:	Bike6.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	115355
            '04 Titanium ABS
            Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195-55-16
            Bridgestone BT-45 130/70-18
            Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
            Free Grazer IBA #22990
            NRA, Elks, and too many others
            Yuma, AZ

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              is that home made? whats it weigh?

• Clamper
              Clamper commented
              Editing a comment
              It is home made and about 4 lbs. It has two loops for bunge cords on the front and back rail, and custom made heat shields made from cardboard and aluminum tape with wire ties to hold them in place.

• Drgsin
              Drgsin commented
              Editing a comment
              i like that, very cool

Originally posted by Clamper View Post
            Put a trailer hitch on the back, and haul a trailer or get a carry rack
            BTDT. to carry the Real Important Survival stuff.

Name:	DV4.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	115362

• Clamper
              Clamper commented
              Editing a comment
              What no coffee?

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              Rockstar don't do Coffee.

• Madrebel
              Madrebel commented
              Editing a comment
              Roflmbo!! 😂😂😂

Thanks for the suggestions, Passenger is my Lady and I have installed a backrest. The Shad Top should work as I prefer to strap a backpack to the backrest. Not looking to carry a crapload on trips,; happy to to toss and replace underwear and socks! However my Lady needs her beauty stuff and her clothes are expensive.

Anyone put the shad rack on yet? if it doesn't look too bad, beats the hell out of the $300 Honda one.

• kwthom
                kwthom commented
                Editing a comment
                No dealers, it seems, in North America.

I just installed one yesterday. If you get one, measure the holes in the blanks very carefully. Don't rely on the blanks on the back . Seems strong enough, time will tell on corrosion resistance.

A couple of suggestions and backstory: My Brother did a 2 week trip to Germany with his wife with one 40L backpack each. I followed his advice (which I will share) and we did 18 days in Scotland, and carried our MC gloves, Frog-Toggs, rain boots and Thermals for the 6 day MC trip (Which we FedEx'd back with some souvenirs and crap we over packed to avoid having the extra weight and gain some capacity for the last 7 days.

I'm a "Sidecar Guy" and the Mrs is used to having the luxury of "overpacking" as we have 10 Cu Ft in our Hannicgan Trunk, not including the saddlebags on the Harley (Had 11 CuFt on the older 05 Wing which had a slightly bigger sidecar). We also are typical OVER PACKING travelers. Not anymore!

My Brother and I both (Them in Germany and us in Scotland) had chosen to use public transportation for the moving about parts of our trip. The only exception was on our trip we rented bikes with friends and did the NC500 for 6 days. We rented a GL1600 Grand America. It probably sits halfway between the last Gen GW and the New GW with a few more Liters of capacity.
                1. PACKING CUBES: There are a number of good YouTube Videos on Packing Cubes and types. We chose some standard and some "Compression" types that smash down the clothing to make the cube pack tighter. We stored the Backpacks (Nelson-Rigg MC Backpacks) once we realized we didn't need them and could just pack the saddlebags and trunk with the cubes.
                  1. These allow you to keep clothing organized by type, pack outfits all together by day, etc.
                  2. You can jam and keep more into a cube than you can pack open in a bag,
                  3. You can pull all your cubes out and get to what you need quickly. We had 5 cubes in our packs each.
                  4. It keeps dirty and clean clothing separate if you pack an extra cube or laundry bag (we packed a bag with a drawstring)
                  5. We only brought our medicine and essential bath and beauty items, we bought shaving cream, deodorant, razors, toothpaste, etc. once we landed (mainly for security at the airport). We were there for almost 3 weeks, so some of the travel sizes were too small, but we just left what we didn't want to bring back/clear security within the trash at the hotel our last day.
                2. CLOTHING CHOICES and LAUNDRY:
                  1. First the riding gear: We rented riding suits from the BMW dealer for 90L (about $125 US) and BOY did they come in handy. As a "typical US Rider" I've never used a full insulated (midweight) riding suit before. Jackets, Jeans, Chaps, and a set of Heated Gear for really cold runs, but most of my riding it's just plain hot! In Scotland in June the HIGH averages about 60' and there is no such thing as a "warm rain" there. I really didn't need my rain gear, as the suits did fine, but the "boot covers" and a set of "Held warm and Dry" gloves, which I packed, were handy. It was warm about 15% of the trip and cool about 65% and Rained about 20%, so great weather by Scotland standards.
                  2. Clothing: We chose mostly technical fabrics (Nylon/Spandex/etc) and WOOL SOCKS. If you don't know about Merino Wool, do some research, I'm about to throw out all my cotton socks, they're that much better. We packed 5 pairs of trousers (4 Tech/1 pair of Jeans), 5 Technical Various Colored T-shirts, 2 White cotton T's 2 long sleeve collared shirts/dressier, 6 pairs of undies, 5 pairs of socks (3 wool/2 cotton), Boots (Hiking style that are suitable for MC riding), and a pair of Sneakers. If I had it to do over I would cut all this down to 3 pairs of trousers, 3 pairs of wool socks, 3 pairs of underwear, 3 Tech t-shirts, 1 or 2 dress shirts (depending on need). I would DUMP ALL COTTON!!! It doesn't wear well after a day or two, it's hard to wash and dry, you don't need it.
                  3. Laundry: THIS IS THE KEY. We spent about $100 getting laundry done (mistake on our part) in Edinburgh. After that, we basically did laundry every night about 4-6 PM when we checked, we bought Woolite, did it in the tub and hung it to dry or used the towel warmers (in almost every hotel/B&B in Europe). We then wore clean stuff out to dinner and that was also the next days riding clothing. This kept the laundry from stacking up and is why we OVER PACKED. You may want 3 of things so you have some variety or safety if you can't do laundry one day, etc...but really we did much better on the 2nd half of the trip after paying the pain penalty for paying for laundry. In the US most hotels have a laundry, but how much time do you want to spend doing it? AGAIN: COTTON IS YOUR ENEMY.
                  4. Modifications for US riding trip:
                    1. If you have to wear denim you're going to have to do laundry. A standard 90' day and I'm not wearing those jeans more than once. 3 pair rule allows you to do laundry with a dryer every other day, but you're going to have to budget time for that. I can't see a pair of jeans drying in a humid hotel room fast enough to pack without a dryer. TIP: WE USED AN IRON WHEN WE DIDN"T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO HANG DRY clothing. Works good, but still won't easily dry Denim.
                    2. If you run "protective riding pants" you can run with shorts or technical fiber pants under and make your life easier. I've never used them but will look for some this year at Wing-Ding. It will make packing small much easier. You can rinse/wash them out every other day and if they are the "airflow" ventilated trousers, if they're a little damp in the morning they'll dry out on the road!
                    3. Buy travel-sized items and pack smaller than you would for any other trip.
                    4. Pack the saddlebags with the cubes if possible vs. using a bag/liner. We were able to play Tetris with the BMW and pack everything 2 of us needed, extra jackets, etc this way. If we had used the bag liners I think we would have lost some nook and cranny space that made all the difference for small things like our toiletries and undies which we crammed in. Regretfully I didn't take a picture of how the packing looked.
                    5. If you have a LUGGAGE RACK: A 15-30L + Dry bag will hold all your extra Rain Gear, etc...or small light packables and free up room in the saddle bags.
                  5. FINAL TIPS:
                    1. Merino wool is your friend. it's cool comfortable and anti-microbial. It doesn't stink as fast as cotton or even technical fibers will. It washes and dries almost as fast as tech fiber. If you're riding in spring or fall weather you could get 2 days out of a Wool t-shirt vs. Tech Fiber (IMHO) the downside is it's expensive, but it will LAST A LONG TIME. The "Darn Tough" socks I bought have a LIFE-TIME warranty. T-shirt and undergarments (which I've not tried yet) are available too, and if they breathe and wash up like the socks, I may be throwing out a ton of Undies too!
                    2. Use the "cut it in half" rule once you're comfortable. Lay it all out and take one thing out at a time until you're down to half of what you started with. Really we could have gotten away with 1-2 of everything for 18 days. NO JOKE.
                    3. Fashion is not really a concern on the road. You probably wear the same 2-3 colors all the time right? And you're not going to see people (other than your travel companions) more than 1 time on a road trip, they won't know you wore the same button-down shirt to dinner last night or t-shirt the day before.
                    4. Practice on a trip where it doesn't matter and pack a "safety bag" and see if you even open it.
                    5. If you're "backpacking" every hotel we left held our bags as long as we needed and pre-check-in every hotel let us drop them early (and in many cases let us check in REALLY EARLY). So you're not stuck carrying them all day.
                Hopefully this helps

Dundertaker

• kwthom
                  kwthom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The only added comment to this...instead of jeans for off-bike wear, get a pair of tactical pants.

• Dundertaker
                  Dundertaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed, I will be looking for quasi-protective/better than simple nylon pants. The enemy is cotton IMHO at the end of the day. It simply won't hold it's shape and doesn't dry out fast enough for a 6-`12 hour turn around/pack. And without a dryer, it won't "snap back" into shape. I ride in Diamond Gusset Defenders in the US and as stated above...they get nasty after a day of really hot riding. This "pack small" is all new to me and the 18 GWT is also a new challenge as I've not had a 2 wheeler for over 15 years. So the packing small concepts timing is perfect considering the reduced capacity of the new bikes.
              Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
              widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X