Do you plan on installing your own luggage rack?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you plan on installing your own luggage rack?

Trying to find out how many of you plan on doing a luggage rack install. I am working on a super-detailed video showing all the steps for my video series.
    Yes
    66.67%
    No
    16.67%
    Hell No!
    16.67%
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Installed mine last month.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I voted no but not for difficulty. I think the new trunk design, weight restriction and small size of the rack limits any functionality it may have. Except for the mounting of the added brake light I see no use for it. There are other light options available. Just my opinion.

• Stoc# 889
        Stoc# 889 commented
        Editing a comment
        I voted hell no for same reason

I have always done all my own work with the help of Cruisemans Videos never had any problems Thanks.
      2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Originally posted by Denman46 View Post
        I voted no but not for difficulty. I think the new trunk design, weight restriction and small size of the rack limits any functionality it may have. Except for the mounting of the added brake light I see no use for it. There are other light options available. Just my opinion.
        I agree!

Yes, done. Honda version.

Actually, the Honda rack for the 2018 will cause less stress on the trunk lid than the previous generation. The OEM rack has a very good support system.

I already installed the rack, could of used a good video to speed up the process. I plan on installing the Pathfinder light so will have to redo some of my work. Keep up the great videos!

I installed the Honda rack and the passenger back rest together. Didn't seem to difficult..Now my lady friend can lean back and relax while I scrape the foot pegs!!

• Cruiseman
                  Cruiseman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A non-tour model, I assume?

You would assume correctly..it's not needed on the tour model,right?.
                Has anyone installed the drivers backrest?.I saw one on cyclemax that can come out if needed.

Originally posted by Tony Tahoe View Post
                  You would assume correctly..it's not needed on the tour model,right?.
                  Has anyone installed the drivers backrest?.I saw one on cyclemax that can come out if needed.
                  Yes, Showchrome (Big Bike Parts). I have it, love ❤️ it, and would highly recommend it!

I installed the Honda luggage rack when I bought the 2018 Wing in June '18 along with the light-bar beneath it. Honda instructions were pretty clear and detailed. I just had to be patient and keep a good understanding of the several pieces I was disassembling, modifying and re-assembling. The luggage rack works great and fits the bike perfectly.

I would like to install one so I can strap a tent w/poles to it. The poles will just fit inside the saddlebags when removed from the tent stuff sack but its a pain and they sit on an angle, I would rather strap them. The tent is about 6lbs, maybe strap a sleeping roll as well, it should be well under the weight for the rack. It would also provide a platform for the pathfinder brake light which really looks "up my alley" I'm very interested. I'm not a big fan of the luggage rack looks nor the way it overhangs the back of the trunk. (Honda might as well made the trunk bigger to match the luggage rack depth) I did like drying off items wet with early morning dew or late night rain on my old rack while riding, huge time saver not having to wait to dry things out. All said, I think I will get one with the pathfinder as long as I have "dummy instructions" on how to not break tabs while installing. I though I saw some shocks in the kit that you have to remove the whole top lid etc., that seems like a lot of work. What the heck are the shocks going to do if you load the rack anyway?

Well, it's all about the instructions as to whether or not I purchase one & the pathfinder. In contrast I thought it was just four holes drilled in the lid, cement some backing plastic for prevention of spider cracks, and four large fender washers, on my GL1500, such a no brainer.
                      kiptap - Paul
                      Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
                      1979 Kawasaki Z 200
                      1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
                      1996 Honda GL 1500SE
                      2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

Originally posted by kiptap View Post
                        I'm not a big fan of the luggage rack looks nor the way it overhangs the back of the trunk. (Honda might as well made the trunk bigger to match the luggage rack depth)
                        I made the mistake of adding a rack when I bought this bike.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010366.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	113896

I hated the looks so much I bought a new lid and sold the lid & rack. (Costly)

I went the smarter route to carry what I need, and have it safely locked away from prying eyes.

My new rack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Trunk Rack.JPG Views:	72 Size:	29.1 KB ID:	113842
                        ************************************************** *******
                        Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                        Current bikes.
                        1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                        1986 GL1200 SEi
                        2004 GL1800

I just added a quite detailed video to my 2018+ Maintenance Videos on installing the luggage rack (w/light) on the 2018. This brings the series to a total of 48 videos.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TrunkRack.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.4 KB ID:	113857
                          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Not on this bike. Installed the Goldstrike Tour Blade on my bike for additional running/brake/turn instead and it looks cool and clean. This will be my first Goldwing without a trunk rack. I'll just strap my duffle bag on the passenger seat. My wife has her own 2018 Goldwing (non-Tour) so she won't be riding on my bike.
                            • 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
                            • 1970 Honda CT70 (3sp man auto-clutch - my first "DCT")
                            • 2001 Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit
                            • Goldwing rider since 1982

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page