Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghost Shifting

I have a six speed 2018 tour with 11,000 miles. Once in a while the transmission would drop into neutral while riding down the rode. I would put it off that my fat feet hit the shifter. Today it “ghost shifted” 4 times in an hour on a 300 mile ride. My toe was no where near the shifter. The last half of ride no problems. This is my first Goldwing. I understand that this has been a problem on a small percentage of Goldwings over the years. I will let Honda and my dealer know. Anyone else with a six speed have similar problems.

Wow haven't heard about ghost shifting in some years now i know there were problem with ghost shifting in the pass with older models 08s and up i had a 2010 that would shift on its own at times but it could have been my fault. But to here about the problem today i would thing they solved have solved that type of problem already. Please keep us posted i am in the market for a new one a DCT model and get a little concerned when i hear about this stuff. Honda is going to blame you for not shifting properly so just be ready for that make sure it gets documented in writing properly for future or later problems good luck.
    2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I had that problem with my 09. The first time around 30k it out of 5th. I nursed it along and always shifted to 5th very slow and sure. At about 90k while riding in Pennsylvania with the bike on cruise as it started up a steep hill it jumped out and would not stay in 5th anymore. Then 1st started making a bad noise. I had to ride it back home 800 miles in 4th. Very expensive problem. I ended up buying a 06 wreck with only 15k on the clock, and put that motor in our 09. I have a 18 DCT Tour now. I bought the DCT because of the bad experience with the 09 manual. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for response. I road it for about 20 miles today after I found rear tire low. Found a 2” screw in the new tire , pulled it out and put a plug in it. Bike ran great, no problems with shifting. Will start process by reporting to Honda on line, to cover my ass, then work through dealer. Bad luck seems to follow me around.

I had a few issues in the first several hundred miles where it popped out of gear. I realized I was not fully engaging the gear on my shift. I was not using the right velocity in engaging the gear for lack of better terms. Once I corrected that, it has never done it since in almost 14K.
          Dennis

This is not a joke suggestion. Check your shoes. If you wear a real thick-toed boot, you may not be getting it fully into gear. If the problem persists, try changing to a smaller diameter shoe and see if it still continues to happen.
            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Seems Honda is still using "old style" pressed Hyme joint ends on the now adjustable shifter rod. on only the manual bikes.

Right out of the box there was way to much slop in the ball socket.

You have to make darn sure you are making a positive shift each and every time.

When Dean made a discovery on his Shifter, (his dropped the shifter 1/4")
              I improved it by adding Teflon lined adjustable Hyme joints", that removed all the slop out of the GL1800 shift linkage.
              but returned the shifter to OEM height.

Looks like the new bike might be a candidate for the new and improved joints as well.
              Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
              Current bikes.
              1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
              1986 GL1200 SEi
              2004 GL1800

I do wear thick boots, Daytona M-Star. I am only 5’7”, with a 30” inseam. Have been wearing these boots for at least the last 6 months. I had to adjust linkage to fit the boots. I just recently started having problems. There does not seem to me much slop in linkage.

The shoes/boots you wear make a huge difference. I have two pairs of boots that work great. Something with a low profile toe seems to work best.

Originally posted by Paladin View Post
                    I do wear thick boots, Daytona M-Star. I am only 5’7”, with a 30” inseam. Have been wearing these boots for at least the last 6 months. I had to adjust linkage to fit the boots. I just recently started having problems. There does not seem to me much slop in linkage.
                    Seeing you are already aware about the size of your boots, seeing you tried to adjust the center shifter rod.

I should of explained it wasn't the joint slop as much as it was the length (Throw) needed to complete a positive shift each and every time.

The kit is actually a modification the the Shifter pawl.

It shortens the throw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	113343

A 1/4 doesn't seem like much. But it does it terms of a shorter throw and less ankle movement.
                    To make a positive shift every time.

We replace the OEM joints with a kit like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB150096.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	113344

It only took buyers a few shifts to notice a considerable difference in shifting more positively.

The first order of business is to call Honda customer service in Torrance.

A case worker will call you back in 24hrs.

Your VIN will then be in the system and dully noted as to this complaint.

https://powersports.honda.com/contact.aspx

Current bikes.
                    1986 GL1200 SEi
                    2004 GL1800

Thanks for info. I have already sent complaint to Honda through there website. Have not heard back from them on this issue yet. Are these linkage mods available from Honda or a third party?

Where can we get these kits? Thanks

Originally posted by Pvmarcon View Post
                          Where can we get these kits? Thanks
                          What year is your bike?
                          ************************************************** *******
                          Current bikes.
                          1986 GL1200 SEi
                          2004 GL1800

Update. I have not had any further problems since I stopped doing clutch less upshifts. I have upshifted all my previous bikes without clutch with no problems. I guess this transmission does not like that. I did hear back from Honda, I told them problem cured itself.

• Drgsin
                              Drgsin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              you didnt add that in your original comment. is that how you normally ride or just screw around from time to time? good to hear it wasnt anything serious.

Its all about the timing and shifting patterns used on these motorcycles once you get it, its easy peezy from here on in Glad to hear you have Ride Safe Ride A Lot.
                            2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page