Dealer charge to install luggage rack?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer charge to install luggage rack?

Does anyone know what dealers are charging to install a luggage rack and light? In am interested in the labor cost.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I had it done back in December before I picked up the bike. I can check the invoice tonight and let you know.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

PM Sent with PDF
      You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

I would thing at lease a 1 hour minimum charge would be a the average charge.
        2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

I wouldn't want some dealer tech learning on my bike installing new parts on a brand new bike by what Honda is paying for some of these installs.

Which begs the question. Is the dealer going to charge "Per" item or save you the consumer some money,
          by installing several items at the same time??
          (I'd ask that question beforehand,instead of getting shocked at the cashier!!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	ACCESSORY PDF.JPG Views:	0 Size:	154.0 KB ID:	113133

• Denman46
            Denman46 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for that list Rocky. Very interesting to know. My dealer charges $100/hr labor. The Aux cord costs $30 and the install is $150? Yikes! Max recently had a short video showing the dinky little cord and the list of items to remove in order to install it. I remember how easy it was in my ‘08, 12, 16.... Things used to be so simple.

Yea, I was a guinea pig on getting my accessories installed
          Never will make that mistake again! Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
          They did give me 22% off accessories purchased and gave me a price to install all items at one time and did not charge me for each individual item as I recall.

I only had them do it as it was December and my garage isnt heated and tearing into a bike that I'd never taken apart before in that kind of temperature didnt seem like a good idea. I figured I'd break too many tabs. I waited until 2 weeks ago to start removing plastic panels. Didnt break anything

I just completed the job a few days ago as part of a multi-video series coming soon. I will be adding a "how-to" install the luggage rack video on YouTube, but it will be an abbreviated version. I will have an in-depth version included in my 2018+ Goldwing Maintenance series.

It is hard for me to say how long it would take to do the job since I was shooting video at the same time. It took me nearly two solid days because I spend a lot of time moving lights, tripods, cameras, etc. Honda's instructions are woefully incomplete and only show you how something comes apart, but they don't explain HOW it comes apart.

That said, there is NO way in Hell any tech could install a luggage rack in 1.3 hours. If he did, I would not want it done that quickly on MY bike. I just wonder how many trunk lids dealers have had to replace because the holes were drilled improperly? This install is at least twice as difficult as it was on a 2001-2017 bike. All this for a 5lb capacity? And, why 2.2 hours for the brake light? With the luggage rack install, you have to remove the hinges and replace the dampers. It must be a misprint.

Would it have killed Honda to pre-punch or mold in the holes in the trunk liner for the rack? And, the sub-harness should have been included in the cost of a $26,000 motorcycle. I am still not 100% clear on why the bolts have to extend through the liner? Is the lid plastic that much thinner than the previous wing? I would think it could handle 5lbs.

I would estimate about 2-3 hours for a competent tech who has done the job before. First time? 3-4 hours. That would be $300 to $500 in labor.

Thanks for your reply Cruisemans will be looking out for Video on this i wouldn't think there was that much work involved for a simple looking rack.
                2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                  Is the lid plastic that much thinner than the previous wing?
                  We both know you already know that answer. (Yes)

Remember your plastic tab repair video?

We'll see more broken tabs at dealers down the line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180530_185054.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	113158

To everyone who has owned a previous gen wing.

How many stories did you read about with broken tabs on the 2001 wing? never mind in the 17 year run??

Very rarely did I have to repair any thick ABS tabs.

I have seen my share of saddlebag loops broken (like the above pic),
                  by ham fisted owners shoving in the rear fender,but that is about it.

Originally posted by trewm View Post
                    I had it done back in December before I picked up the bike. I can check the invoice tonight and let you know.
                    Finally got round to looking at my invoice. Unfortunately it doesnt break out the hours and I had the rack, high level brake light and CB all done before I picked up the bike. Looks like they charged 6.5 hours for everything though.

Originally posted by trewm View Post

Finally got round to looking at my invoice. Unfortunately it doesnt break out the hours and I had the rack, high level brake light and CB all done before I picked up the bike. Looks like they charged 6.5 hours for everything though.
                      Seems reasonable to me, considering the time to remove all the Tupperware.

Yes, I thought so too. If it had been me doing it, it would have taken 2 to 3 times as long at least.

I just completed the job a few days ago as part of a multi-video series coming soon. I will be adding a "how-to" install the luggage rack video on YouTube, but it will be an abbreviated version. I will have an in-depth version included in my 2018+ Goldwing Maintenance series.

It is hard for me to say how long it would take to do the job since I was shooting video at the same time. It took me nearly two solid days because I spend a lot of time moving lights, tripods, cameras, etc. Honda's instructions are woefully incomplete and only show you how something comes apart, but they don't explain HOW it comes apart.

That said, there is NO way in Hell any tech could install a luggage rack in 1.3 hours. If he did, I would not want it done that quickly on MY bike. I just wonder how many trunk lids dealers have had to replace because the holes were drilled improperly? This install is at least twice as difficult as it was on a 2001-2017 bike. All this for a 5lb capacity? And, why 2.2 hours for the brake light? With the luggage rack install, you have to remove the hinges and replace the dampers. It must be a misprint.

Would it have killed Honda to pre-punch or mold in the holes in the trunk liner for the rack? And, the sub-harness should have been included in the cost of a $26,000 motorcycle. I am still not 100% clear on why the bolts have to extend through the liner? Is the lid plastic that much thinner than the previous wing? I would think it could handle 5lbs.

I would estimate about 2-3 hours for a competent tech who has done the job before. First time? 3-4 hours. That would be $300 to $500 in labor.

$300-$500 in labor & it only holds 5 lb?? I'd put that money towards a trailer instead.

Ill be putting that 5lb limit to the test here shortly. Im going to load a bag with what Id plan on loading for a 2 up trip and drive around for a week or so. we'll see what happens. others have done it without issue, but id hate to find out in the middle of a trip.

I know I have had more than five pounds on mine no issues.

• Drgsin
                                Drgsin commented
                                Editing a comment
                                thats good to hear. any idea how much weight?

At least 12lbs this rack has steel support, which I did not observe on the previous 2012 GL1832 I rack installed.

Installing a rack starts a chain reaction.

As a Wing mechanic.

I see these problems.

1. Cracks in trunk lid.
                                2. Chaffing paint between lid and bottom box.
                                3. Trunk lid hinges cracked/broken.

Things you can do preventive wise.

1. You can add the soft part of velcro to avoid paint chaffing, where the lid rests on the tour box.

2. You should limit the amount of weight on any rack as a precaution. (why risk expensive parts replacement?)

3.There is nothing you can avoid about the Trunk lid hinges. (small percentage crack/break.)

4. Check the bolts on the hinges from time to time. (They tend to loosen and go awol)
                                ************************************************** *******

The hinge/damper combination on the 2018+ is MUCH more substantial than on the previous generation. The strengthened dampers provided with the luggage rack kit really make a huge difference in holding the extra weight.

The hinge/damper combination on the 2018+ is MUCH more substantial than on the previous generation. The strengthened dampers provided with the luggage rack kit really make a huge difference in holding the extra weight.
                                    I seen those in your video. I thought "Finally" Honda did something for the lids weight after more weight is added (Rack/light etc)!.
                                    ************************************************** *******

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                                    widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                    Working...
                                    X