2018 fairing pocket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 fairing pocket

In case of a failure to open is there an emergency procedure to get it opened in order to refuel. I would hate to be out of gas and can't get the pocket ooened.

Unfortunately Honda never thought that far ahead.

After all, How hard would it of been for Honda,
    To use the same type of push button switch that the bags/trunk use,
    That only activates if the Fob is in range??

The way they did it,is Asinine at best!!
    You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I don't get why there is no emergency procedure to open the fuel door. I can open the saddlebags and trunk with the emergency key and start the bike with the emergency code but if I then run out of gas I'm screwed.

Maybe the emergency procedure is to lever the fuel door open with a large screwdriver ​​​​​​​

No backup procedure exists. After taking everything apart for the homelink and other accessory install, a manual safety could be made. You would just have to attach some fishing line or other lightweight wire/cable to the release pawl and then pay it out somewhere. I would recommend going under the seat if you have an inclination for such a feature.

using the emergency 9 digit code routine will unlock
          the Right side cubby when the ignition turns on, giving you access to the fuel door.

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you put this to the test.Or just hoping it will work?.

Originally posted by Drgsin View Post
          the Right side cubby when the ignition turns on, giving you access to the fuel door.
          That's good to know. I hadn't tried it yet and I dont think it states that in the manual.

• HondaNutRider
            HondaNutRider commented
            Editing a comment
            You mean that Rocky didn't know that either? 🤔 I thought he was an expert know-it-all. I guess we can't believe anything he says. 🙄

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            @NutjobBOB. When I read idiots like you-The one thing that comes to mind is

"That's the sperm that won?" Sakes

I don't think this will work if the pocket door actuator fails.

What a timely topic. Last fall my "cubby" door on my 18 Tour DCT all of the sudden decided it wasn't going to open anymore by pushing the button. No warning, no gradual fail. It just stopped working. Luckily I had enough gas left to make it to the dealer. The module that controls that particular door I was told cost $50.00 for the part, and about $400.00 in labor. Glad it was under warranty. Two days ago I stopped to get gas, opened the "cubby" and pushed the button to release the fuel door and nothing. No matter how many times I pushed it, nothing. Glad once again I had enough gas to make it to the dealer. When it comes back this time from being fixed, I am removing the latch for the fuel door and replacing it with a set of cabinet door magnets or something similar. Its stranded me twice. Never again.

I'm with you Dan. I'd get rid of that set up in a NY minute.

You are SOL if the button fails!!

I'd get clever and relocate the Opening lever from the pocket to under the fairing above the pocket.(still using the OEM cable)

No one would know it's there, or why?.

Stop for fuel,and reach for the lever, under the fairing to release the gas door. (easy peasey)

Click image for larger version

Name:	11111111.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	112803

Yes it works. Tried it on mine about a week ago.
              PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by trewm View Post
                I don't get why there is no emergency procedure to open the fuel door. I can open the saddlebags and trunk with the emergency key and start the bike with the emergency code but if I then run out of gas I'm screwed.

Maybe the emergency procedure is to lever the fuel door open with a large screwdriver ​​​​​​​
                Let Honda roadside figure it out.
                PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Rocky
                  Rocky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What would one do,if out at night during a rain storm with no cell service,out of fuel? (LOL)

I thought about drilling a hole in the lid, directly above the door release. Then, use a body, push rivet to cover the hole. If the actuator fails, pop the rivet and use a small screwdriver to push the release.

• Rocky
                  Rocky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or a 3/4 plug that could easily be removed with a finger nail,so you can stick a finger in the hole to open the fuel door.

What would one do,if out at night during a rain storm with no cell service,out of fuel?
                Answer: I would look for an old farm house to take shelter in, preferably one with a farmers daughter in it.
                PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by INTHEWIND View Post
                  What would one do,if out at night during a rain storm with no cell service,out of fuel?
                  Answer: I would look for an old farm house to take shelter in, preferably one with a farmers daughter in it.
                  As a Seinfeld fan. I remember what happened to Newman when he tried that approach.

Love the Seinfeld series, didn't watch the actual series, until years later I watched the reruns.
                    PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page