New bike, rode it home, updated it, now dead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike, rode it home, updated it, now dead

I picked up my 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT today, very excited. Rode it home 90 miles on the freeway, it was great. Once I got home I plugged in the USB Stick and did the update. It was up to 55% complete the last time I had checked, went back out 20 minutes later and it will not turn on. The fob unlocks the bags, the FOB will set off the alarm but nothing I do can get the dash to turn on and allow me to do anything. Have a trickle charger on it now but I find it hard to believe the battery would be run down after 90 minutes of freeway driving and then an hour of sitting in accessory mode updating.

Has anyone had a similar experience and gotten it to fire up again without replacing all the fuses? I imagine it could be the battery, of course that worries me since I would assume it would have a good charge after that ride. Possibly the dealer just took it out of the crate, set it up and it had just enough juice to get me going and then gave up the ghost exactly at the end of the update. At least I hope it finished the update and is not in some limbo land with no brain anymore.

You killed the battery.

Charge it and you'll be fine.

These bikes really don't care what you are doing, and will discharge a fully charged battery in record time.

Consider this your first "Lesson" on your new bike.

Congrats on the new bike.
    You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Yes, the trickle charger has it at 80% and so I tested it and it fired up. I guess I am a little surprised the dealer did not charge the battery. Would seem like a normal thing to do.

I had my bike on battery tender over the winter for 5 months light was always green. I went to do the USB update turned knob to on and nothing happened. I then held the knob to the on position for several seconds and it finally turned on. Started the update after 20 min it was 97% done then heard loud beep and all lights on dash went dead. Let the battery charge again then did the usb update it completed note if your battery dies it will ask for usb to complete the update. I took the bike to dealer to check battery they said it was ok. If your headlights are on the battery will drain really fast that's why they want in accessory mode

P.S. The battery tender was on all the time the usb was updating and battery still went dead even in accessory mode. Looks like the battery was not fully charged even though the battery tender light showed green.

Originally posted by davidw4806 View Post
          Yes, the trickle charger has it at 80% and so I tested it and it fired up. I guess I am a little surprised the dealer did not charge the battery. Would seem like a normal thing to do.
          David. Do yourself a favor.

Dealer tech's are useless as two peckers on a Bull.

1. Check your oil level.
          2. Check your coolant level.
          3. Check your final drive oil level.
          4. Check your tires psi.

There have been far to many stories of these item that "Should be checked/topped off"
          as part of pre delivery set up, going unchecked and in need of rechecking.

Sadly far to many people like yourself put way to much faith in the Dealer or Tech's doing their jobs.

So YOU have to recheck what they were paid to do!!

After YOU recheck everything, You'll then know that everything has been done correctly.

BTW.
          After the battery is fully charged.

Connect a Volt meter to the battery,and leave the bike on (not started) for 5 mins.
          Then look at the remaining voltage.
          You'll now be aware how FAST the battery discharges!!.

When I do this for my customers, they say "Holy Crap" I didn't realize it would do that so fast!.
          You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Good advice.. Batteries need to be fully charged by the dealer. But, that never happens.
            PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by BKWGoldwingDCT View Post
              I had my bike on battery tender over the winter for 5 months light was always green. I went to do the USB update turned knob to on and nothing happened. I then held the knob to the on position for several seconds and it finally turned on. Started the update after 20 min it was 97% done then heard loud beep and all lights on dash went dead. Let the battery charge again then did the usb update it completed note if your battery dies it will ask for usb to complete the update. I took the bike to dealer to check battery they said it was ok. If your headlights are on the battery will drain really fast that's why they want in accessory mode

P.S. The battery tender was on all the time the usb was updating and battery still went dead even in accessory mode. Looks like the battery was not fully charged even though the battery tender light showed green.
              You need a new battery maintainer. Its not doing its job properly. Also check your battery cables for loose connections.
              PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Actually I had just arrived from the dealership and did not have my maintainer setup yet. The first thing I did when I arrived home was update the bike so I was at the current software level, since it wipes out all your settings I thought that was the best idea. Well during the update the power got low enough so that it would not turn on the ignition. I removed the side cover, attached the SAE cable to the battery and fired up my Battery Tender and it did its job. Took an hour to get it charged enough to turn on the ignition, I shut it off and it took a good 18 hours for the Battery Tender to get the bike up to 100%. My assumption is they did not even check it after taking it out of the crate, just put the bike together and sent me on my way. If a battery sits for a year or more then the charge will be weak. It is my first experience with this dealer and I will have to keep an eye on them. Will be checking all the fluids, air pressure, etc. right after I get my accessories installed.

My Battery Tender saved the day. I keep them on my bikes all the time, of course the dealer does not attach a cord so that was one of the things I had to do to get my bike running again.

Accessories:

Lidlox since the helmet lock is a joke on the wing
                Show Chrome electrical Isolator, will add a USB Charge cable from that to my Inreach on the handle bars, most likely some lights on the rear as well
                Goldstrike Tie down mounts
                Arm rests for the SO
                2nd FOB for the SO with emergency key, she likes access to the bike if I am out wandering and she has stuff to put away or get out.
                SAE cable for Battery Tender
                Cables for heated gear for rider and passenger
                Cheap XM radio antenna so I can get my 90 days of XM this summer
                Trunk Organizer
                Moving my Clearwater Darla lights over to the Goldwing from my FJR1300

Only rode the bike for 80 miles and that was to my house from the dealer. Not sure yet how I feel about the windshield, will need the SO to give her opinion after some time on the freeway. I did seem to get buffeting with the windshield up but it was much quieter.

Still debating what rear lighting to get to enhance the brightness behind. I will say on my way to work today a motorcycle was in front of me and his single, small, rear taillight was pretty dim. He spent the money to add front driving lights but his rear was dangerous in my opinion. It was dark, wet pavement and the motorcycle was barely visible and that can be a problem in rush hour with cars jockeying at 80MPH and the ability to see him in advance was limited due to the dim light. This has made me think long and hard about adding lighting up on the trunk and possibly in the filler area.

Originally posted by INTHEWIND View Post

You need a new battery maintainer. Its not doing its job properly. Also check your battery cables for loose connections.

That Sucks but good to know hope to pick up my new ride at the end of May at lease i know what look for and can be ready for it i put my bike on a charger all the time. But you right the last thing the dealers worry about is the battery. I will be doing a good check up prior to signing for it thats for sure.
                  2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page