Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 GW DEAD in the water

I was doing some working on the 2018 std GW today. Seat off and looking at wiring in an LED license plate holder. When I went to turn on the radio to listen to it while working I had nothing. Mind you I rode it to the new position in the garage 10 min earlier. Key fob did not activate it, Bags wouldn't open and no response when attempting to start with emergency start procedure. Fuses all check, battery is perfect, disconnected the battery lead for 20 min and thought it would reset,,,,it did not. Any clue?

Start here. (From your owners manual)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	112526
    Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
    Current bikes.
    1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
    1986 GL1200 SEi
    2004 GL1800

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Doc832
      Doc832 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did that. tried emergency start up procedure and nothing happened.

How did you wire in the lights? You cannot simply tap into he 2018 wiring with the CANBUS system. The extra load could have cause an error code in the computer.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I did everything from trying to do the emergency start which failed. I held in the ignition switch for five to seven seconds I have no beep, no tone, no change. That's as far as the manual takes you.

Take your time with the fob.. you got to hold the button in for a few to make it change modes...... if the little led on the for doesn’t blink, your fob is dead... a dead fob is a simple battery change/ replacement once that is established, if no start you simply must have run down the battery,,,, my guess is that the fob battery is KAPUT..

mattbcnv
        2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

• Cruiseman
          Cruiseman commented
          Editing a comment
          A dead fob would not keep the emergency start procedure from working.

• Mattbcnv
          Mattbcnv commented
          Editing a comment
          You are giving the poster WAY to much credit....

• Doc832
          Doc832 commented
          Editing a comment
          i know I have had to explain that to two mechanics and honda Tech in Cali. Not sure why that should be a foreign logic for them.

If your fob is working and the saddebags won't open and the bike won't start, I would replace the battery in the fob, as a starter. Still, does not explain why the emergency start procedure did not work.

The only other thing I can think of is a short somewhere in the system. I would start by disconnecting any electrical accessories you have added.
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Make sure the emergency start code is 9 digits long, a guy the other day was trying to use his metal key blank number. Didn't work. lol
          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Doc832
            Doc832 commented
            Editing a comment
            The bike won't even enter the emergency start system. No beep or series of beeps with the pressing of the start button. So trying to enter the code gives you no feed back.

Originally posted by Mattbcnv View Post
          Take your time with the fob.. you got to hold the button in for a few to make it change modes...... if the little led on the for doesn’t blink, your fob is dead... a dead fob is a simple battery change/ replacement once that is established, if no start you simply must have run down the battery,,,, my guess is that the fob battery is KAPUT..

mattbcnv

Doc832 Had a similar scenario on my wife's Goldwing. VERY low battery kept bike from starting, bags opening. Same as you, had just started the bike and next time it was dead. Changed the battery in the FOB and now all is well.
          • 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
          • 1970 Honda CT70 (3sp man auto-clutch - my first "DCT")
          • 2001 Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit
          • Goldwing rider since 1982

I charged and jumped the battery on the bike as well as change the battery in the fob. Was on the phone with tech support in a factory mechanic for an hour going through systems. All fuses have been checked re checked and checked again. disconnected the battery for 20 minutes reconnected it and actually got a spark this time which I did not get before. However all systems are dead. Definitely appreciate everybody's input.

• GWRider
              GWRider commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry that this has become more complicated than a simple FOB battery. Bummer.

What voltage is the motorcycle battery at?
            Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

• Doc832
              Doc832 commented
              Editing a comment
              The bike battery is at 12.8, Charged it for 2 hrs to 13.4 and jumped off car battery. more than enough juice to run the systems and starter. Jumped out the fuse box and dash system is alive but no functioning starter or emergency start system. Factory Mechanic to look at it next week when he is available.

Doc , I would never try and "jump start" that motorcycle off your car. If not done properly you can spike the ECM on both vehicles and be in for thousands of dollars in repairs. When it's self inflicted it's always worse. Invest in a jump pack if that is an issue. Always make the connection with a ground and disconnect with ground.

It just seems like I've been reading about a lot of no-start/battery problems with the new GW on this and other forums.
                When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                Jimi Hendrix
                Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

• Rocky
                  Rocky commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When I read stories like this. I'm LMAO that I didn't get sucked into one of these scooters too.

• kc classic
                  kc classic commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a quote from the infamous Ocky: Let me clear the air. Some of you think I hate the new Bike.

That couldn’t be farther from the Truth. I can’t hate something that has never done a thing to me.
                  I love all motorcycles, even the ones I don’t own.

What some of you don’t realize is. I Bought one of the first White DCT bike that HOR sold.

Yes that’s right I own a DCT. I been messing with you all along, while I been putting 23,000 miles on this fantastic bike since I was handed my very own FOB.
                  I don’t post pictures of it, due to my wanting to play with a few members here-ya I know they got all upset. But what is life without a few laughs right!!

I guess he can't keep his stories (?) straight.

Appreciate the jump tip but the truck wasn't running just hooked up directly to the jump cable on the bike. Everyone kept saying the battery was the issue on the fob or bike. None has anything to do with the bike turning on or working in emergency mode
                I am posting a successful story next.

• Cruiseman
                  Cruiseman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Anxious to hear what your next post is.

Originally posted by Doc832 View Post
                Appreciate the jump tip but the truck wasn't running just hooked up directly to the jump cable on the bike. Everyone kept saying the battery was the issue on the fob or bike. None has anything to do with the bike turning on or working in emergency mode
                I am posting a successful story next.
                That's exactly how you jump a bike using a truck. (engine off)

Why not just post what whoever found to be the culprit?
                Current bikes.
                1986 GL1200 SEi
                2004 GL1800

Alright, I worked on this thing going over everything I had done from checking voltage and fuses. I went through the fuse block again one by one and replaced every fuse. Checking engine each time. As i was exchanging them out I realized there was a slot with two contacts that had nothing in it. Its not marked on the fuse block cover but I stuck a 10amp fuse in there and the bike started. Its not listed on the cover or manual, I had not taken or opened the fuse box prior to having a problem and I have NO explanation for it. Below the Audio 15 amp fuse is where it was placed. Nothing listed for that slot but there are contacts there. The bike runs fine now and the emergency start works as it should. Tried uploading a pic but it failed. Thanks everyone for the help.

Is it possible the fuse fell out? You story is hard to believe, is somebody playing games with you?
                    Maybe you shouldn't be working on bikes after reading your post about adding oil, took you 20 minutes to add oil. IDK
                    PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

• Mattbcnv
                      Mattbcnv commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Never heard a story like that and probably never will.... fuse fell out, unmarked fuse??
                      I think NOT

Things that make u go hhhhhmmmmmmm

I'm calling this story.

Having been a heavy line wrench for over 30 plus years and as a Goldwing mechanic for over 20 plus years.

I have Never seen a fuse fall out. go missing.

Never mind a vehicle not starting because a fuse was mysteriously missing from the fuse box, on a new vehicle no less.

Doc.
                      1. Why you are leaving out a key point in this fantasy story. (Like this never happened)

2. Maybe you have a mole in your garage messing with you!! (That needs an azz kicking for touching your bike)

3. Why on earth would you come to the conclusion to "Install a 10 amp fuse,hoping the bike will miraculously start in an empty slot in the fuse box,That isn't even as you say,marked on the fuse box cover?"

4. And then tell us that your Miracle fuse installation - Did the trick,and the bike is now running fine?

I have to ask- Would you be so kind as to pick out a batch of Lotto numbers for me and a few friends.

************************************************** *******
                      Current bikes.
                      1986 GL1200 SEi
                      2004 GL1800

Hey think what you want. i didn't have an explanation until now. The contact in the fuse block is pushed out of the molding slot. The honda Mechanic that i was taking it to stopped at the house this afternoon and we took things apart (way more than i wanted to). The wiring in the back of the fuse block was pushed out. He is going to order a new block on monday. Careful who you call out on here. Just saying, I'm sensitive.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page