Rivco Flip Out Highway Peg Install Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivco Flip Out Highway Peg Install Question

Looking at Rivco’s Instructions for installing the flip out aero pegs and they say to final tighten the replacement valve cover bolts to only 2-3 ft lbs. This seems very odd considering the bike service manual specifies 7 ft lbs for valve cover bolts. What has everyone been torquing those bolts to during install? I’m more inclined to go 7 ft lbs so that my valve cover is still tightened down to factory spec since it is of higher priority to me than the pegs. Any thoughts?

The Rivco replacement screws are aluminum and VERY soft so they can break away (shear) should the peg get hung on the ground. They cannot sustain 7lbs of torque. Have you watched my video?
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I understand the aluminum screws that hold the bracket and yes, that absolutely makes complete sense. But I’m referring to the large bolts that are actually replacing the factory valve cover bolts that that those aluminum screws go into. My concern is that factory spec calls for 7 ft lbs on the valve cover bolt for proper attachment and seal of the valve cover, only torquing the actual valve cover down at 2 ft lbs versus the intended 7 ft lbs could potentially lead to issues with the valve cover down the line could it not? This is my first Goldwing, so this style of engine is still new to me.

These Rivco pegs just looked waaaay too delicate for me! I ordered these tried, tested & true Kuryakyn pegs! They are 1” clamps & will work on the 2018/19 Goldwings!

www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/offset_iso_pegs_with_1__clamps/4101

I don't think those aluminum screws will break away on tip over. I had a tip over with the pegs out. The peg broke off, and had no affect on the screws. Rivco has designed the pegs with a scored spot on the bottom of the peg. The score allows the peg to break without damaging the rest of the bracket. Replacement pegs can be purchased separately from the bracket. Only thing is you have to buy the pair for about $90. While I was at it, I ordered replacement aluminum hex screws. The new ones have a deep shoulder on the head; they don't round out like the original set. Just FYI.

We do recommend only compressing the bolts to 2-3 lbs. The reason being is that the 7 lbs. is too much pressure for the aluminum bolts. It is very close to breaking the stud off at that point. You only need enough pressure to be able to compress the rubber seal and seat the bolt. The bolts cannot loosen once the mounting plate is installed.

Originally posted by RIVCO Products View Post
                We do recommend only compressing the bolts to 2-3 lbs. The reason being is that the 7 lbs. is too much pressure for the aluminum bolts. It is very close to breaking the stud off at that point. You only need enough pressure to be able to compress the rubber seal and seat the bolt. The bolts cannot loosen once the mounting plate is installed.
                thanks for taking the time with the clarification.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page