Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2018 dct owner here... oil change question

Traded my f6b for my new 2018 dct tour and love it. I am at 1800 miles and want to change to synthetic oil. What brand and type are others using? I always did my oil on the f6b. Any videos on changing it? Also I think I read there is a dct filter.? I added a taller windshield, passenger seat extentions and a Rivco hitch.

Read your owners manual. Page 233 oil type, page 154 how to change oil including filter.
    It will answer your questions.
    I talked to Honda Customer service about synthetic oil last year.
    They didn't recommend it.
    Honda GN4 10w30 is what is recommended in the manual.
    That's what I use.
    Congrats on the new bike..I love mine. DCT is awesome.
    PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• biglefti
      biglefti commented
      Editing a comment
      My Honda service recommended it.

Svnten , believe it or not that engine on your new Honda isn't anything special. As long as you use a synthetic that's rated for the engine /trans you can't hurt it. On the contrary synthetics are much better at protecting your investment than conventional oils. Pick a brand. If you want a suggestion then I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T. 10W40. Don't worry about the 40 vs 30. A little extra protection in hot weather never hurt anything. In The Wind , when you say you talked to Honda Customer Service about Synthetics , was that person a Certified Honda Mastertech? Or just a generic phone tech?

Not preaching but there are very few combustion engines whose efficiency and longevity can't be improved by synthetic lubricants. Mobil 1 has been availabile since the seventies. Over 40 years. It's not new technology. Some of the most expensive and high performance automobiles specify Mobil1 to be used exclusively in their crankcase. There are other Synthetics out there. Honda has one. My problem with that is that Honda doesn't make oil. They buy from whoever gives them the best bid. I like to know whose oil I'm using.

I am using Honda GN4 10W/40 and it works great. Any good quality 10W30 or 10W40 that meets Honda specs should work OK. I have not tried synthetic, but know of some guys who are running it without problems. If you do switch to syn, you will probably need to re-initialize your DCT clutch.
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Amsoil is the only brand you need to buy! There is nothing better . . .

Originally posted by Gold Winger View Post
            I went with Amsoil for several oil changes in a row, but didn't see or feel any difference from the Shell T6 I normally use (on my 08). I plan on trying Mobil 1 this next time.
            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

I switched to the Honda synthetic at the second oil change. Also, do a search about using a different O ring on the DCT filter. A lot easier to reinstall the filter than using the stock O ring.

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

• MAREKA
                MAREKA commented
                Editing a comment
                What o-ring did you use instead of the Honda 91302-PA9-003?
                I am running into problems, it slips form the gland and get pinched..

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
              I am using Honda GN4 10W/40 and it works great. Any good quality 10W30 or 10W40 that meets Honda specs should work OK. I have not tried synthetic, but know of some guys who are running it without problems. If you do switch to syn, you will probably need to re-initialize your DCT clutch.
              true, this helped. quite a difference, especially in using walking reverse and forward

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post
                Svnten , believe it or not that engine on your new Honda isn't anything special. As long as you use a synthetic that's rated for the engine /trans you can't hurt it. On the contrary synthetics are much better at protecting your investment than conventional oils. Pick a brand. If you want a suggestion then I use Mobil 1 Racing 4T. 10W40. Don't worry about the 40 vs 30. A little extra protection in hot weather never hurt anything. In The Wind , when you say you talked to Honda Customer Service about Synthetics , was that person a Certified Honda Mastertech? Or just a generic phone tech?
                IDK.
                PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                  You are spot on. Any oil that meets Honda requirements will be what Honda suggests to use.

The only reason to use synthetic oil is to make yourself feel better.

There has not been one single oil related engine failure using Dino oil.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SPECIFICATIONS.JPG
Views:	898
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	110693
                  Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                  "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                  Current bikes.
                  1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                  1986 GL1200 SEi
                  2004 GL1800

Rocky you need to prove to me that Dino lubricates a d protects as well as synthetic. You can't do it. It may be good enough. Apparently it isn't as an increasing amount of new automobiles require it. In your temperate climate it works. Try that 10W30 dino on a morning when its -5 and let's see how well it flows.

• Rocky
                      Rocky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you think your engine needs synthetic oil, Then by all means put it in IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL GOOD.

This engine doesn't need it or Require it.

Show me where Honda says to use synthetic?? You Can't!!

Anyone that rides their bike hard in extreme temps , ie heat , can benefit from a full synthetic. You guys that ride two up pulling a trailer , you ask a lot from your bike. Synthetic gives you that extra protection that you need. Not saying that it's always necessary. It's nice to know it's there during high demand.

• Rocky
                      Rocky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My own engine has been opened several times under warranty in the 12 years I have owned it.

My rods & Main Bearing still look new. (I paid extra to see them)

Care to try again??? LMFAO.

At no time did I say that Honda or anyone else said to use it. Or that Honda or anyone else required it. I did say that Synthetic lubricants are superior to Dino. They offer superior lubricating qualities.

Somehow, I just knew this would turn into an old-fashioned oil thread. Riding season must be near.
                      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• GWRider
                        GWRider commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Cabin fever has gotten to the best of us.

Speaking of Synthetic. How many of you kids remember "Slick 50" ??
                      or better yet, How about STP??

************************************************** *******
                      Current bikes.
                      1986 GL1200 SEi
                      2004 GL1800

• biglefti
                        biglefti commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Of course I do! In fact I had to run 50% STP just to keep one of my old boats from blowing up. It didn't turn over too well in the morning!!!

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                      Speaking of Synthetic. How many of you kids remember "Slick 50" ??
                      or better yet, How about STP??

Andy Granatelli used to sell a lot of that STP. I'll say one thing for the STP. If you dipped a flat blade screwdriver in it and tried to pick change the blade between your thumb and forefinger you could not keep it from slipping out. Dont
                      ​​​​ know what that proved but it was in the ad.

What does STP stand for?

Wait for it!

YOU KIDS Stay in School!!
                        ************************************************** *******
                        Current bikes.
                        1986 GL1200 SEi
                        2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Gold Winger View Post
                          Are you a Scamsoil dealer?
                          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post

Andy Granatelli used to sell a lot of that STP. I'll say one thing for the STP. If you dipped a flat blade screwdriver in it and tried to pick change the blade between your thumb and forefinger you could not keep it from slipping out. Dont
                            ​​​​ know what that proved but it was in the ad.
                            Yes they used STP, on the lug nuts on their race cars.
                            PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page