X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky
    replied
    The fact of the matter is. Those selling the four bike Frame Mounting point hitches are nothing more than feel good sales pitches.

Facts are there are hitch options out there,where guys have pulled fully loaded campers weighing 450-500 pounds, that have never had a hitch or Saddlebag sub frame breakage. on a 2 point frame/sub frame mounting.

You can count on one hand the number of hitch faiulres on 01-17 Goldwings.

I have seen a Cracked Rivco hitch and a few Bushtec Hitches fail.

The only Add On brand hitch I found, wasn't a failure, But in fact Bent.
    After the towed trailer was forced up the bikes arse after being rear ended by a drunk pick up driver.

I have found after talking to many trailer manufactures over the years. The brand of hitch chosen isn't the problem.

IT'S THE OWNER - That was the Problem.

To much tongue weight.
    Trailer wasn't loaded correctly.

Pak it rack's have the same problem of the failures I have seen.
    They too were OverLoaded!

Pack wisely and load evenly.

Never exceed load limits.

That's the only way you'll never have any issue.

Leave a comment:

• biglefti
    replied
    Ken is right about the hitches having additional anchor points. However, those extra points are more for the pulling portion of the load.

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    replied
    Yes, most hitches have tie-points to the bike sub-frame (not the framework to the saddlebags), which is why - for towing - a higher capacity (that 600# GVWR) is possible.

Leave a comment:

• Drgsin
    replied
    Originally posted by kwthom View Post
    As a reminder for some reading along...the Pakit-Rak system does NOT have a hitch. It's a bracket system that ties onto a weaker point on the bike...the saddlebag framework.

As biglefti mentions, you can get a hitch (several vendors for the '01 - '17, not as many yet for the '18+ ) that you can add a rack (Rivco, Pakit-Rak) and bag to.

If you never, never think you'd pull a trailer, Pakit-Rak system is economical.

If there's ever an inkling you'd consider towing a small trailer, then the hitch + rack system is better, since now you have choices...and you're installing once, rather than twice - which is what *I* did.

Things to consider Travelingman (...and others reading along...) on the topic.
    ties to a weaker point...is there an issue with that? does the hitch tie to a different part of the bike?

Leave a comment:

• Travelingman
    replied
    Thank you Sir!

Leave a comment:

• Travelingman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rocky
    commented on 's reply
    biglefti No one says you should.

Its your bike to make choices that suit your desires!.

I just happen to like the Secure/Stealth mode.

• GWRider
    commented on 's reply
    That's the way I've traveled since the days of my '83 Gl1100I except I've never had a hitch, just back seat or just rack if riding 2-up.

Nice pinstripe on the white Goldwing.

• kwthom
    replied
    As a reminder for some reading along...the Pakit-Rak system does NOT have a hitch. It's a bracket system that ties onto a weaker point on the bike...the saddlebag framework.

As biglefti mentions, you can get a hitch (several vendors for the '01 - '17, not as many yet for the '18+ ) that you can add a rack (Rivco, Pakit-Rak) and bag to.

If you never, never think you'd pull a trailer, Pakit-Rak system is economical.

If there's ever an inkling you'd consider towing a small trailer, then the hitch + rack system is better, since now you have choices...and you're installing once, rather than twice - which is what *I* did.

Things to consider Travelingman (...and others reading along...) on the topic.

Leave a comment:

• biglefti
    replied
    Originally posted by Travelingman View Post
    So who's bike is the red one? Can you provide me with info as to where you purchased the rack & hitch pls? That's exactly what I'm looking for. I have all the other gear in the pic times 2 . . . maybe 3
    The red bike was mine and I was using an Add On vertical hitch that I modified so it was both a vertical and horizontal hitch. The luggage rack is an Pak-it-Rak. If you already have a hitch installed, you can buy them in either vertical or horizontal configuration. If you don't have a hitch already, Pak-it-Rak sells a rack mount that you can use instead of a hitch.

Leave a comment:

• Travelingman
    replied
    So who's bike is the red one? Can you provide me with info as to where you purchased the rack & hitch pls? That's exactly what I'm looking for. I have all the other gear in the pic times 2 . . . maybe 3

Leave a comment:

• kwthom
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not certain how Rivco would have computed those values - which happen to be the same values they've used for their '01 - '17 version of this hitch setup. My suspicion is that they have been empirically derived values, based on the types and styles of trailers most motorcycle owners have purchased and used.

Im certain other manufacturers of hitch products utilized in this non-standard method have done similar.

• ShooterF6B
    replied
    Originally posted by anti-gilky View Post
    Hey TRAVELMAN, I believe the recommendation from the mothership(HONDA) is 60#'s....that's there recommendation. That figure is a SAFE, lawyer/liability figure.
    Not.

Leave a comment:

• ShooterF6B
    replied
    Mothership Honda didn't say that. That's what you said. Honda does not recommend a hitch nor lend any advice on how to use it. It's not in any owner's manual printed by Honda.

Leave a comment:

• anti-gilky
    replied
    Maximum recommended tongue weight of the GW007 hitch is 60 lbs. Maximum recommended tow weight of the GW007 is 600 lbs. Do not exceed the motorcycle manufacturer maximum axle weight when towing......
    in my dream, I got this from the RIVCO site. Because what ever they say, is "gospel"

Leave a comment:

• Taddpole
    replied
    Originally posted by Travelingman View Post
    Very nice. But I'll be 74 next month so I doubt I'll be riding long enough to get my money's worth out of it.
    Once you're done with it, put it on the For Sale board. It would sell quick, and you'd probably get back most of your purchase price!

Leave a comment:

• Rocky
    commented on 's reply
    With all due respect. When I travel. I choose to be comfortable.

I'm not a jam/fit/cram type of guy. That's my policy!

• Rocky
    commented on 's reply
    Rotflmfao.

• ShooterF6B
    replied
    Traveling man , Bikers Friend makes some great tube style luggage that will go on your passenger seat. It's durable and watertight not to mention it looks good. Don't be put off by the price , if you read deep enough alot of the options aren't necessary and you can buy a base model fairly reasonable. I have one I've used on my F6B for 4 years. It suits me just fine. The large model will hold plenty of clothes for 5 days. Google Bikers Friend.

Leave a comment:

• biglefti
    commented on 's reply
    Hey I love that Beverly Hillbilly look! Not, that's why I got the eighteen.
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page