Tongue weight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a reminder for some reading along...the Pakit-Rak system does NOT have a hitch. It's a bracket system that ties onto a weaker point on the bike...the saddlebag framework.

As biglefti mentions, you can get a hitch (several vendors for the '01 - '17, not as many yet for the '18+ ) that you can add a rack (Rivco, Pakit-Rak) and bag to.

If you never, never think you'd pull a trailer, Pakit-Rak system is economical.

If there's ever an inkling you'd consider towing a small trailer, then the hitch + rack system is better, since now you have choices...and you're installing once, rather than twice - which is what *I* did.

Things to consider Travelingman (...and others reading along...) on the topic.
    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Thank you Sir!

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
          As a reminder for some reading along...the Pakit-Rak system does NOT have a hitch. It's a bracket system that ties onto a weaker point on the bike...the saddlebag framework.

As biglefti mentions, you can get a hitch (several vendors for the '01 - '17, not as many yet for the '18+ ) that you can add a rack (Rivco, Pakit-Rak) and bag to.

If you never, never think you'd pull a trailer, Pakit-Rak system is economical.

If there's ever an inkling you'd consider towing a small trailer, then the hitch + rack system is better, since now you have choices...and you're installing once, rather than twice - which is what *I* did.

Things to consider Travelingman (...and others reading along...) on the topic.
          ties to a weaker point...is there an issue with that? does the hitch tie to a different part of the bike?

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

Yes, most hitches have tie-points to the bike sub-frame (not the framework to the saddlebags), which is why - for towing - a higher capacity (that 600# GVWR) is possible.
            Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Ken is right about the hitches having additional anchor points. However, those extra points are more for the pulling portion of the load.

The fact of the matter is. Those selling the four bike Frame Mounting point hitches are nothing more than feel good sales pitches.

Facts are there are hitch options out there,where guys have pulled fully loaded campers weighing 450-500 pounds, that have never had a hitch or Saddlebag sub frame breakage. on a 2 point frame/sub frame mounting.

You can count on one hand the number of hitch faiulres on 01-17 Goldwings.

I have seen a Cracked Rivco hitch and a few Bushtec Hitches fail.

The only Add On brand hitch I found, wasn't a failure, But in fact Bent.
                After the towed trailer was forced up the bikes arse after being rear ended by a drunk pick up driver.

I have found after talking to many trailer manufactures over the years. The brand of hitch chosen isn't the problem.

IT'S THE OWNER - That was the Problem.

To much tongue weight.
                Trailer wasn't loaded correctly.

Pak it rack's have the same problem of the failures I have seen.
                They too were OverLoaded!

Pack wisely and load evenly.

Never exceed load limits.

That's the only way you'll never have any issue.

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                Current bikes.
                1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                1986 GL1200 SEi
                2004 GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page