Tongue weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tongue weight

Been thinking about extra luggage capacity. If I installed a receiver hitch to my 'Wing, what would be a safe tongue wt. for it? Not thinking about a trailer but a 'tray' that would fit into the receiver that a large waterproof duffle bag could be placed on. Any ideas on a safe wt. limit??

Tks, TM

Hey TRAVELMAN, I believe the recommendation from the mothership(HONDA) is 60#'s....that's there recommendation. That figure is a SAFE, lawyer/liability figure.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

That's TONGUE WGHT

Originally posted by Travelingman View Post
        Been thinking about extra luggage capacity. I

Hate to point out the Obvious- But you asked.

You bought the "Wrong Bike!"

OTOH- a good rule off thumb is keep piling it on a rack until the front wheel come off the ground on center stand. Then stop.

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Nah, I got the right bike. I ride solo but thinking on a 10 day - 2 week trip that might be the easiest and most convenient way to pack. Get to the room & just set it all inside. Plenty of room for me & all my 'stuff'. For me a lot cheaper, safer, and easier than buying a trailer, etc. No additional wiring on the bike either.
          Just thinking out loud at this point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycle-carrying-stuff-overloaded-cameroon-260nw-531821977.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	110268

I bought one for my 2014 by Rivco comes with mounting system, rack and bag and if I remember correctly it's 30 or 35 pounds max weight. That's not tongue but total weight for the rack/bag.

Nah, I got the right bike. I ride solo but thinking on a 10 day - 2 week trip that might be the easiest and most convenient way to pack. Get to the room & just set it all inside. Plenty of room for me & all my 'stuff'. For me a lot cheaper, safer, and easier than buying a trailer, etc. No additional wiring on the bike either.
                Just thinking out loud at this point.
                On the serious side. You might want to consider a Uni- Go.

Watch what you can do at 1:06

Personally, I like being able to lock what I own safely out of prying eyes.(peace of mind & out of weather as well)

Very nice. But I'll be 74 next month so I doubt I'll be riding long enough to get my money's worth out of it.

Two people, two weeks...

See the first photo in this blog entry of mine...

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/2018/04/...y-3-and-4.html

All of my clothes for five days is in the Rivco Rack bag. The toiletries for both of us (including the hair dryer) were also in the bag.

I have a detailed packing list that outlines the rest of it. Bag & rack weight? About 35lbs.

Very nice. But I'll be 74 next month so I doubt I'll be riding long enough to get my money's worth out of it.
                      I can certainly understand your reasoning.

My reasoning is simple too.

I don't care for the Beverly Hillbilly's look?.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0663.JPG Views:	0 Size:	738.5 KB ID:	110284
                      I prefer the safer load carrying Hidden look?.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9016.JPG Views:	0 Size:	496.9 KB ID:	110285

Choices are a good thing.
                      ************************************************** *******

• biglefti
                        biglefti commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey I love that Beverly Hillbilly look! Not, that's why I got the eighteen.

• GWRider
                        GWRider commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's the way I've traveled since the days of my '83 Gl1100I except I've never had a hitch, just back seat or just rack if riding 2-up.

Nice pinstripe on the white Goldwing.

• Rocky
                        Rocky commented
                        Editing a comment
                        biglefti No one says you should.

Its your bike to make choices that suit your desires!.

I just happen to like the Secure/Stealth mode.

Pretty sure Honda doesn't give a recommendation. They will tell you that the bike wasn't built for a hitch. Anyone that thinks different , I will be glad to see the evidence. In the GL1800 manual they tell you to not modify the bike in a manner not approved by Honda. Don't pull a trailer and do not exceed the load limits. The guy that said Honda was ok with 60 lbs on the hitch dreamed that. Rivco makes a great hitch. Whatever they say is the load limit limit should be gospel.

• Rocky
                        Rocky commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Rotflmfao.

Traveling man , Bikers Friend makes some great tube style luggage that will go on your passenger seat. It's durable and watertight not to mention it looks good. Don't be put off by the price , if you read deep enough alot of the options aren't necessary and you can buy a base model fairly reasonable. I have one I've used on my F6B for 4 years. It suits me just fine. The large model will hold plenty of clothes for 5 days. Google Bikers Friend.

• Rocky
                        Rocky commented
                        Editing a comment
                        With all due respect. When I travel. I choose to be comfortable.

I'm not a jam/fit/cram type of guy. That's my policy!

Once you're done with it, put it on the For Sale board. It would sell quick, and you'd probably get back most of your purchase price!
                      White '08 Navi
                      SW OH

Maximum recommended tongue weight of the GW007 hitch is 60 lbs. Maximum recommended tow weight of the GW007 is 600 lbs. Do not exceed the motorcycle manufacturer maximum axle weight when towing......
                        in my dream, I got this from the RIVCO site. Because what ever they say, is "gospel"

• kwthom
                          kwthom commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm not certain how Rivco would have computed those values - which happen to be the same values they've used for their '01 - '17 version of this hitch setup. My suspicion is that they have been empirically derived values, based on the types and styles of trailers most motorcycle owners have purchased and used.

Im certain other manufacturers of hitch products utilized in this non-standard method have done similar.

Mothership Honda didn't say that. That's what you said. Honda does not recommend a hitch nor lend any advice on how to use it. It's not in any owner's manual printed by Honda.

Originally posted by anti-gilky View Post
                          Hey TRAVELMAN, I believe the recommendation from the mothership(HONDA) is 60#'s....that's there recommendation. That figure is a SAFE, lawyer/liability figure.
                          Not.

So who's bike is the red one? Can you provide me with info as to where you purchased the rack & hitch pls? That's exactly what I'm looking for. I have all the other gear in the pic times 2 . . . maybe 3

So who's bike is the red one? Can you provide me with info as to where you purchased the rack & hitch pls? That's exactly what I'm looking for. I have all the other gear in the pic times 2 . . . maybe 3
                              The red bike was mine and I was using an Add On vertical hitch that I modified so it was both a vertical and horizontal hitch. The luggage rack is an Pak-it-Rak. If you already have a hitch installed, you can buy them in either vertical or horizontal configuration. If you don't have a hitch already, Pak-it-Rak sells a rack mount that you can use instead of a hitch.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page