2019 Honda Navigation Update Now Available!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only did the last one! All is good!

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I typed in 98 waypoints today, and went for a ride in the rain.

I ignored all of them. I love technology.
      You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

• Doug Bohman
        Doug Bohman commented
        Editing a comment
        Hard to believe anyone is using the Honda Nav program, unless I guess you have an Android phone and not an Apple, cause it's the worst navigation program I've ever tried to use. So antiquated compared to Apple, Google or Waze.

But, it works better than any of those when you have no cell service!

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        ...unless you have enough memory to download map data -before- leaving an area of cell service.

I have noticed that, since applying the update, my volume levels are back where they used to be. I can now get decent volume through my headsets at 13-14 instead of 17.
      GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
      Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• GWRider
        GWRider commented
        Editing a comment
        "Oops", said the Honda/Harmon software dude.

On a side not, I signed up to get Honda update notifications. I just received mine for the latest nav update today more than a week after it was released.

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahahahaha....classic!!

Originally posted by biglefti View Post
      On a side not, I signed up to get Honda update notifications. I just received mine for the latest nav update today more than a week after it was released.

I have signed up as well for the update notifications and have not received any notification to date for any update. I sent a "complaint" or "help" ticket/email in to Honda. About a week later, I did receive a phone call from someone representing Honda, he was very pleasant, seemed genuinely concerned, and offered suggestions as to why these emails did not reach me and/or how I didn't check off some box when signing up... etc... and honestly, just the fact that someone took the time to call me made me feel "better" about the situation. Do I think I will get a notice in the future, probably not, but hey, I "feel" like they care.

https://youtu.be/AnFxAnbJD8A
      kiptap - Paul
      Bolingbrook, IL (Greater Chicago Area)
      1979 Kawasaki Z 200
      1981 Kawasaki GPZ 550
      1996 Honda GL 1500SE
      2018 Honda GL 1800DJ

• kiptap
        kiptap commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, got to eat a little crow here. I went back to see if any updates were sent and I was correct none sent, however, I did see an email whereas I updated my communication preferences, usually a result from signing up at the bottom of the update page, however, in the "Communication Preference Center" webpage, sure enuff, the "Gold Wing Navigation/Software Updates" notification check box is unchecked. So, if you just enter your email at the bottom of the updates page, you may not be "checked" for receiving update notifications. Just saying that's been my individual experience.

Dang it, the kid with the pleasant voice from Honda was correct.

Yes, I just got the notification Monday and did the update on 1-26. So they were a bit slow on the notify, but I don’t consider that a major fail. If all the notices were mailed the same day as the fix was posted, imagine the possible download problems. The fix worked for what it attempted, and I’m OK with the slight delay in the email.

Originally posted by biglefti View Post
        Honda calls me for updated information.

When I signed up for updates. I got an email from a Honda spokesperson who said "Nice try Rocky"
        You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

I did all the steps but when I connect it to the Goldwing USB connection a doesn't appear the message with the option do you want to download yes or no.... any solution for this ?
          thank you

• Cruiseman
            Cruiseman commented
            Editing a comment
            First, make sure you are using a USB 3.0 thumb drive (not 2.0). It should be formatted using NTFS (PC) or Mac Extended (Mac OS).

• trewm
            trewm commented
            Editing a comment
            Also make sure the file is called swdl.iso and not swdl(1).iso or something similar. If you still had the previous update, Windoz will have renamed the file.

Hi. New member. Have looked for various GPS-related threads on this forum and hope I’m posting this message in a good place.

We've had a 2019 Goldwing Tour for a little over a month now. I’m definitely a fan of GPS technology. Over the years, we've had 2 dash-mounted bike GPS units, 2 dash-mounted automobile units, and 3 handhelds (all Garmin), as well as a factory installed unit in our current car (also a Honda). And – echoing comments on this website – the 2019 Wing GPS is the worst experience we've ever had, even after successfully installing a software update last week.

In no particular order:
          1. We live in Overland Park, KS, which covers a little over 75 square miles and is listed as the 2ndbiggest city in KS. The bike Navi can find only 2 numbered streets in the whole city. I suspect there are in actuality several hundred.
          2. I’ve lived in the same house for 22 years. The bike Navi doesn’t list either our street name OR house number as being available.
          3. We’ve so far found no way to mark any current location as a waypoint to return to in the future.
          4. Just as an experiment, I tried entering the addresses of 20 or so friends & family. The Nav system found less than half of them.

This is ridiculously unacceptable. A few questions, if anyone has the time or info to respond.

The last posts I’ve seen regarding contacting Honda were from 2018. Does anyone know where things stand now in terms of a fix from Honda?
          Why does Honda put Garmin systems in their cars, but this weird, useless thing in the bikes?
          What recourse(s) do we all have? What kind of pressure can be brought to bear on Honda and/or the GPS manufacturer? I understand how extreme this may sound, but is a class-action lawsuit realistic? Any chance the existing hardware could be wiped and over-written with something more user-friendly – not necessarily Garmin, but they’ve been reliable for us. I called RAM Mount today to explore ways to install my old handlebar-mounted unit. Those aren't words a GoldWing owner should ever say.

So, obviously my frustration is showing. Overall, Honda has an amazing reputation. The motorcycle itself is the best of the 4 I've owned -- by far. We’ve owned multiple Honda cars, vans, mowers, and motorcycles. Everything has been rock-solid quality. But this nav system is a disaster.

Honda doesn't put Garmin in their cars. Before you enter the number for the street you seek, you must first enter N W S E with a space after if that is actually part of the address.

Must read the Navigation manual.....fun stuff but it helps....look and read post dealing with the GPS issues and the darkness will turn to light

I started using the Honda GPS again after the “Fix” came out with 99 waypoints. Then quit and used Google Maps. Then started again recently to use BaseCamp and Babel, which BTW was working well before the fix. My recent experience has been horrible.

1. Start, 2 Waypoints and Destination.
                2. Run through Babel.
                3. Waypoint order was distorted to 3, 4, 1, 2.
                4. Edit route to reorder points.

This has happened with several route attempts. The system is worse than useless. As another thread stated, Honda bought parts from Harman, then attempted to engineer their own system. And got it horribly wrong. I fear there is no hope for us Beta Testers. And if true to form, they will never admit they screwed up on the cheap and repair our products. Massive fail.

I’ve been trying to give Honda the benefit of the doubt, but I’m throwing in the towel for good. Following CruiseMan and installing my Garmin. I’m just trying to find a way to NOT cut off all the wires except power on that unit in order to mount it. I’m not sanguine about eventual support for GPS and CarPlay and those “Free” 10 years of map updates either. FUBAR for sure.

• Drgsin
                  Drgsin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  have you tried honda or harley trip planner? very simple to use. save to usb and insert into bike.

• Denman46
                  Denman46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes tried both. Recent try was with two shaping points to force off major highway. Showed up fine on pc. When imported, it rerouted back to highway. And yes, the avoid was checked on the bike. Next attempt used avoid on HTP. Route was exactly as I wanted on the pc. Then imported to bike and it again did its own thing. Have used fastest and shortest. Both give the same results. And I have tried BaseCamp without Babel. It doesn’t work that way either.

Originally posted by Denman46 View Post
                I started using the Honda GPS again after the “Fix” came out with 99 waypoints. Then quit and used Google Maps. Then started again recently to use BaseCamp and Babel, which BTW was working well before the fix. My recent experience has been horrible.

1. Start, 2 Waypoints and Destination.
                2. Run through Babel.
                3. Waypoint order was distorted to 3, 4, 1, 2.
                4. Edit route to reorder points.

This has happened with several route attempts. The system is worse than useless. As another thread stated, Honda bought parts from Harman, then attempted to engineer their own system. And got it horribly wrong. I fear there is no hope for us Beta Testers. And if true to form, they will never admit they screwed up on the cheap and repair our products. Massive fail.

I’ve been trying to give Honda the benefit of the doubt, but I’m throwing in the towel for good. Following CruiseMan and installing my Garmin. I’m just trying to find a way to NOT cut off all the wires except power on that unit in order to mount it. I’m not sanguine about eventual support for GPS and CarPlay and those “Free” 10 years of map updates either. FUBAR for sure.
                Skip the Babel step. Many have reported that with the latest firmware update it's not necessary and actually introduces new problems as you've seen.

• Denman46
                  Denman46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I have skipped the Babel and found that when loaded to the Honda system the 8 waypoints turned into perhaps 25. I didn’t count them. Seems as though any major curve in the road became a new waypoint and announced its pending approach and arrival. Totally annoying, middle of nowhere stuff. Thanks for the extra tip though.

Thank you for the input. The N S E W definitely helped with one address, but was not applicable to the rest. Every little bit helps, though! :-) Also found (total fluke) a local street name that was misspelled in the system.

My wife & I did read the manual (twice) before posting, as well as consulting the Wing guru at our local dealership service department. (He's not a fan either, and shared that the feedback he's getting from Honda is that they're aware of the need for a "friendlier user interface." No word if, when, or how that might come to pass.)

Lastly, I did use the word "car" kind of generically. More accurately, we have a truck - a 3-year old Honda Ridgeline - and its nav is Garmin.

• biglefti
                  biglefti commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My buddies new accord is Harmin and definitely not Garmin. You lucked out on the Ridgeline!

ive also read somewhere you need to enter the state, then town, then street, then number. ive been doing it that way and i havent had a problem.

• Tony_C
                  Tony_C commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed. Plus entering it this way just makes common sense.
              Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page