2019 Honda Navigation Update Now Available!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Honda Navigation Update Now Available!

The UPDATE is OUT and ready for DOWNLOAD!
    GOLD WING NAVIGATION/SOFTWARE JANUARY 2019 UPDATE

Keeping your Gold Wing’s navigation system updated with the latest maps and directions helps you get the most out of one of your bike’s most useful features. This latest version, designed for 2018 and newer Gold Wings, offers the following improvements:
    • Add up to 99 waypoints per route
    • Increased XM source hold in low-signal areas
    • Improved iPhone X compatibility

We’ll walk you through the installation, step by step. It’s easy to do, but if you run into any difficulties you can always contact your Honda dealer. Ready to get started? Let’s go.

Want to know if you already have the latest version? Just click here.

If you have a 2017 or older Gold Wing, while this update is not compatible, you can see more information on your bike’s system here .

https://powersports.honda.com/goldwingupdate.aspx

Originally posted by Kenichi View Post
    The UPDATE is OUT and ready for DOWNLOAD!
    GOLD WING NAVIGATION/SOFTWARE JANUARY 2019 UPDATE

Keeping your Gold Wing’s navigation system updated with the latest maps and directions helps you get the most out of one of your bike’s most useful features. This latest version, designed for 2018 and newer Gold Wings, offers the following improvements:
    • Add up to 99 waypoints per route
    • Increased XM source hold in low-signal areas
    • Improved iPhone X compatibility

We’ll walk you through the installation, step by step. It’s easy to do, but if you run into any difficulties you can always contact your Honda dealer. Ready to get started? Let’s go.

Want to know if you already have the latest version? Just click here.

If you have a 2017 or older Gold Wing, while this update is not compatible, you can see more information on your bike’s system here .

https://powersports.honda.com/goldwingupdate.aspx
    Thanks!
    • 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
    • 1970 Honda CT70 (3sp man auto-clutch - my first "DCT")
    • 2001 Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit
    • Goldwing rider since 1982

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

This is probably a dumb question, but can you use the same USB "stick you used to download the first update for the Goldwing? Does that format step erase the first download on the USB "stick"? Thanks.

• Cruiseman
        Cruiseman commented
        Editing a comment
        You should be able to, but you need to reformat as Mac OS Extended if you are using a Mac USB. If you are using Windows, just delete the old file.

• capttwb
        capttwb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Cruiseman.

capttwb - yes you can and yes it does

Mike

• capttwb
        capttwb commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Mike, I downloaded it today. Everything went great.

Ah, something to do this afternoon!

A friend of mine installed the update and says now he cannot get CarPlay to activate.
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• Cruiseman
          Cruiseman commented
          Editing a comment
          No surprise to me.

• biglefti
          biglefti commented
          Editing a comment
          I just finished the update and my car play is still working fine. You do have to re-connect your headset. Also you still have to wait until the nav has initialized before you connect your iPhone. After connecting the phone you must be sure to unlock it to use car play.

• GWRider
          GWRider commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet! Honda must have finally installed Android Auto. LOL!

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
        A friend of mine installed the update and says now he cannot get CarPlay to activate.
        Mine is working fine as well. I did have to go into the settings and change it from iPod to CarPlay.
        Ron - Montrose, CO
        2018 Pearl White GL1800 DCT
        2012 Pearl White GL1800 Level 1 - Sold @ 63K miles
        I don't ride to make great time; I ride to have a great time!

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
          Turns out, he had to go back into Audio Settings and re-select CarPlay. The update reverted back to "iPod". It works now.
          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I never did install the first update that came out. Would there be a problem with just installing this newest update?
            Northeast, Alabama
            1995 GL1500, 2004 GL1800 & 2007 Aero 750

• Denman46
              Denman46 commented
              Editing a comment
              I suspect they are cumulative. (The first is in the second). But I’m not positive on that. Perhaps you can experiment for us?

• speedy1
              speedy1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well it seems that I have some issues to deal with.. These are the number that came up when I put the jump drive in and it booted up.First # on top HG ACM 17 11 10 0 7 03 52 to 18 11 29 08 16 00.... Any suggestions.. Remember I didn't do the first update

I just completed the new 2018 GL Nav/GPS update and thought I would share my experience with you.
            I use a PC not a Mac and a Sandisk 64 Gig USB 3.0 flash drive which I have dedicated for Honda updates. (not GPX transfers though. I use a different flash drive for that)

1. I followed the instructions on the Honda website, which tells you to format the flash drive. The instructions also tell you to save the file to your computer and then after download, to copy the file to the flash drive. Be aware that if you have previously downloaded the first update file into your downloads folder, the new file will save to the computer as swdl (1) and WILL NOT be recognized for the update by your bike. I found that out the hard way. It is best to delete the previous downloaded file before starting the download. If you encounter the same problem I did, you can change the name of the file after it is copied to your flash drive by simply deleting the (1) and the space before it in the filename, but it is easier to delete the old file first. https://powersports.honda.com/mkca/p...ingupdate.aspx
            2.The download took 42 minutes on my typical setup. So you can safely just set your stopwatch to 40 minutes and come back later instead of sitting at the PC and “watching paint dry”.
            3.After attaching the flash drive to my bike it took 33 minutes for the entire process. Again, just set your stopwatch and come back later. I did that primarily so that I would not forget and leave the bike on accessory for too long and run the battery down.
            4.After the update was complete, it took me about another 5 minutes to run through the various options and correct them to my previous settings and re-pair my Bluetooth headset. Among other items are the various sound levels for speaker and headset, Beep, Fader, Bass, Treble, and the Automatic sound level for speaker and headset. And yes, you must reselect Apple CarPlay in the options. There may be other items I forgot, but you get the idea. Look at all the options. Radio and SXM settings remained the same.

All in all, the update went smoothly. Since it is raining and 60 here in Florida, I’m not riding, so I haven’t tested the new 99 waypoint limit yet, but I’m sure it will be much better than that 8 limit previously.

Good luck.

You guys who wanted more way points got them (now 99)

Google " Route Testing after Nav update "

Gotta love Honda.

You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

Just updated mine using a MacBook. It went well. I use and love carplay. I wonder if I will notice any changes.

I just updated the bike yesterday, but the cold temperatures for the next 2 days will keep the bike parked. Just curious to know of other GPS issues were addressed in this update: specifically, the poor handling of a "missed" waypoint while staying on the intended route. Did the GPS get smart enough to know we don't need to make a U turn to go back to the waypoint? Anyone got info to share?
                2018 red GL1800 DCT Tour w/ 2019 CSC Encore
                2003 red GL1800A w/ 2013 CSC Cobra XL

no.. that wont be fixed. the honda nav assumes you want to go to a designated waypoint, so itll try to get you there. mark your waypoints on the road, which often times requires zooming in when youre trip planning. as you pass it up, itll go away. waypoints can be deleted on the fly, by the way.

Maybe it's me AND I'm not complaining!!!! but 99 waypoints? It's like they figured how to improve 1...ONE problem w/ their set up and went wild. Waypts was 1...ONE issue w/ the new nav. For this, we waited a couple months? Really? They should of let the engine/transmission people do the electronics. Double click this, hit this arbitrary button, dont hit this button...blah, blah,...who would of thought the Japanese would have an issue w/ electronics?
                    You've heard the phase,...cant get there from here....another phase comes to mind re. THE NAV......its called "half-A$$ed"
                    k, I'm done. ......RIDE SAFE

• Drgsin
                      Drgsin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ive seen some say 99 wasnt enough! im hoping they were kidding. lol. ive made the 8 work. id break it up into 3-4 legs made of 8 waypoints each. for what i need, id never mount a big a$$ unit on the handlebar. ive mounted my radar detector and im hating that. looking at other options

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It easily took me a couple of weeks with the previous version of GPS on my '16 to figure out what exactly would work to plot a day-long, 8 to eleven stop, thousand mile ride.

They key was to build a short route on the bike, then save it to USB. From this, I was able to decode just what exactly the parameters were for a given route.

Generating a different route in BaseCamp, then figuring out how to save it in the format that the bike's GPS liked took a bit longer. In the end, the file required a pass thru GPSBabel to really get the data right.

Once ironed out, it was easy. One day of riding was a new GPX file that the bike recognized, plotted and done.

Don't get me wrong, mine was a work-around, since my overall route had over 70 stops that was on my itinerary.

Besides, don't need a GPS on the handlebars; I have a cell phone with Google Maps! :D

If Honda created a useful NAV for this new bike.

Then why are guys adding a external GPS??

Simple answer.

The current Karman NAV is once again, as useless as the Last NAV from Garmin.

The "Around Town" Nav is what it should of been called.
                    You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Let's see...

To Starbucks, to Panera, to the gym, to the beauty shop...there's four of the 8 original presets right there!

Hehehe...

• Rocky
                      Rocky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My Front tire,Dictates where & When we will stop along any given route it takes us.

And we like it that way.

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We need to go ride that road in eastern AZ again, when the weather gets warmer that way...

PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

I do a 5 day (2200 mile) ride down south every May, with 10 other Goldwingers from our chapter. I just route 5 separate days & each morning I move to the next day! Simple & foolproof! 99 waypoints? Who needs ‘em?

• Drgsin
                        Drgsin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        i felt the same way. never had the need for more but when i plotted a course for a trip through some back country and through a huge forest preserve i found having about 40 will be a benefit. i guess with the update itll be easier having one trip vs 5. plus you can see the route as a whole instead of a segment, in case i see a path id rather take. but really, not a big deal.

Has anyone successfully done the newest update without having done the first one? This is the boat I find myself in and if I can skip that first one, I'd surely like to. Thanks.

• Denman46
                        Denman46 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Check with Speedy above. He is dealing with the same issue. Otherwise, go to Mother Honda.

• Cruiseman
                        Cruiseman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pretty sure you can do the second update without doing the first one. It wipes everything and starts over.

• speedy1
                        speedy1 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes you can do the second update without doing the first. I done mine a few days ago and it worked fine.

Originally posted by ncarver55 View Post
                      Has anyone successfully done the newest update without having done the first one? This is the boat I find myself in and if I can skip that first one, I'd surely like to. Thanks.
                      I never did the first on, but I did do the second one and this one.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page