• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Travelingman
    100 Club Member
    • Oct 2018

Can-Bus

Is there a fairly short & simple explanation of the difference in the old style wiring on cars, bikes, etc and the new(er) can-bus system?
  • kwthom
    1K Club Member
    • Aug 2014

Read:

https://electricalconnection.com/ind...r-canbus-info/

https://electricalconnection.com/ind...not-plug-play/

The first link contains a more comprehensive description of CanBus:

Effective 09/23/2023, re-dedicating myself to a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Travelingman
      100 Club Member
      • Oct 2018

Thank you but so much for simple. All that is WAY over my head and sadly most Honda Techs I've encountered.

• GWRider
        GWRider commented
        Editing a comment
        kwthom This is really interesting information. Thanks. So from your comment about the brake light controller, would it be best not to add extra brake lights else the controller and the entire system could be damaged? I'm looking at a brake/running light accessory from Goldstrike.

"The lighting controller is but one example of the units that probably doesn't have a LOT of smarts - but enough to mess with the entire system - if you decided to add a lot of extra brake lights to the system, for example."

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not 100% familiar with the Plug-N-Play Lighting Installation Kit they sell, required to use those Goldstrike LED's. They are tapping into the lighting circuits it seems, but it's only suitable for their products. LED lights will be low(er) current than incandescent. Ciro may have determined that it would NOT trip the lighting controller fault with the addition of a few more LED's.

Personally, if I had an '18+ bike, I might wait a bit to see if there are any reported issues before jumping into a part like that.

• GWRider
        GWRider commented
        Editing a comment
        kwthom Thanks again. They said they have previous experience with the CANBus on Harleys and haven't run into any issues. But I think what you say is sage advice to wait awhile and see if any issues crop up on the new Goldwing with their lights.
    • kwthom
      1K Club Member
      • Aug 2014

The second link, Lewis gives a good example of how it works in practice.
      Effective 09/23/2023, re-dedicating myself to a self-imposed "social media detox" - focusing on offline social interactions and actions.

• Denman46
        Denman46 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good job kwthom. You changed your avatar. Baby picture?

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        No, not me. It's an inside joke.
    • Travelingman
      100 Club Member
      • Oct 2018

Yes it does. Thank you Sir!

• jcsouders5464
        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Travelingman View Post
        Thank you but so much for simple. All that is WAY over my head and sadly most Honda Techs I've encountered.
        I have been working with the multiple can-bus systems Honda/Acura cars have for many years. But when the Honda motorcycle techs just in the last year get hit with it, it is a sharp learning curve. I know nothing about the 18/19 wings, but do know that you have to be very conscious about damage any added amperage can be to a computer linked system. With out looking at a new wing I will bet the wiring is weatherpak connectors due to that excessive amperage that moisture could cause where our pre 18 wings were pretty open wiring connectors.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Weather Pack connectors seem to have a max capacity of 20A (per terminal?). Now, one would think that most circuits would be less than or equal to 20A.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Typical design concepts mean that for the contacts to *not* become the fuse portion of the circuit, it would be used in a circuit rated for substantially less current draw...probably 8A - 12A max per contact.
      • Rocky
        1K Club
        • Aug 2014

• jcsouders5464
          • Jan 2019

Very true. But Computers (think) in micro amps and communicate with each other at less than 1 volt high side and .5 volt low side and that is in low milliamps. So any moisture in those comm lines(can-bus) can cause short to ground or even to each other. Some can-bus lines are twisted pair where they have so many twists in the wires for every 50mm and this is to cut down on outside interference like static electricity from the wheels turning or stereo. I use a lab scope to watch can-bus lines work. After the first computer sends out "Hi how are, you" It listens for "I am fine, here is my report" And each successive module returns "I am fine here is my report" and this continues until loss of power.(turned off)

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            "The two signal lines of the bus, CANH and CANL, in the quiescent recessive state, are passively biased to
            ≉ 2.5 V. The dominant state on the bus takes CANH ≉ 1 V higher to ≉ 3.5 V, and takes CANL ≉ 1 V lower
            to ≉ 1.5 V, creating a typical 2-V differential signal as displayed in Figure 7."

• Dogbone
          100 Club Member
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Travelingman View Post
          Ditto! In the process of wanting to add lighting accessories to my '18 DCT Tour, I, with the help of others (especially Cruiseman), determined it was best to stay away from tapping into the bike's wiring harness. Instead I added the new Isolation Fuse Block from Show Chrome. So far so good. Cruiseman has a good video on the install.
          2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour in Pearl Hawkseye Blue. Goldstrike LED Trunk Light Kit, Electrical Connection Fog Light Kit, Show Chrome GT Tour Multifunction LED Cowl Light Kit, Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, Show Chrome Seat Bungee Tie Down Brackets, Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Decoupling Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Dip Stick Extender, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Lock Pin, Traxxion Dynamics Kick Stand Pad, Slip Streamer Clear Wraparound Touring Windshield, Utopia Driver Backrest, Show Chrome Marker Lights, WingStuff and Saddlemen Luggage Bags, Traxxion Dynamics Super Seat Bolt Kit, Kisan tailBlazer and pathBlazer, Goldstrike Tie Down Brackets, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Safety Pin, Grip Puppies.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page