Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS/CarPlay/Bluetooth Headset

This not exactly a new post, because it covers a number of other/cross topics I've been participating in previously. I thought it might be easier to post my experience here instead of updating each of the other posts.

Background: I'm running a 2018 Gold Wing Tour DCT, iPhone 10X with the 12.1.2 iOS and a Cardo Freecom1.

I just returned from a ride I took with the intent of testing my headset, CarPlay and the three GPS programs I have access to via Carplay.

I started by turning on the bike, turning on the headset, pairing it only to the bike and then plugging the phone into the bike to gain access to Carplay. Everything worked perfectly right from the start.

During the ride I went back and forth between Apply Maps, Google Maps and Waze without any directions just to see what kind of information each of them gave me. They all accurately tracked my route, but with varying degrees of map detail/clarity. The only one that provided mph information was Waze. When available it told me what the speed limit was, but not what speed I was traveling.

When I turned for home, I engaged all three programs with directions to go home using the voice/Siri activation button on the left handlebar. Once engaged, Apple Maps and Waze retained the directions as I flipped back and forth between them. They both gave turn by turn directions, breaking into an Audible book I was listening to, my Music and Sirius XM at the volume I had previously programmed during earlier rides. Both were accurate, talking at different times and talking over each other depending on the distance to the next turn. I will say that Apple Maps was more accurate with some street names than Waze.

Interestingly, Google Maps did not give me any turn by turn directions. All it did was track my route progress without any other information. I have no idea why this happened. Perhaps it has something to do with one or both of the other GPS programs running simultaneously, or maybe it has something to do with Apple CarPlay and how it allows Google Maps to function under it's access agreement? Up to this point I was happier with Google Maps (in the car) than Apple Maps. Now I'm favoring Waze. The next time out I will engage Google Maps first/only with directions to see if it's working properly on the bike and if it is, I'll then engage Waze and then Apple Maps to see what happens.

The Freecom1 performed flawlessly.

The other thing I want to determine is if each of these programs function the same or differently in my car as compared to the bike.

Feel free to weigh in if I missed something or if you have any questions.
    2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour in Pearl Hawkseye Blue. Goldstrike LED Trunk Light Kit, Electrical Connection Fog Light Kit, Show Chrome GT Tour Multifunction LED Cowl Light Kit, Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, Show Chrome Seat Bungee Tie Down Brackets, Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Decoupling Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Dip Stick Extender, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Lock Pin,Slip Streamer Clear Wraparound Touring Windshield.

Thanks Doug, I have the same setup. Will any of these programs recalculate the route on-the-fly if you decide to take a different route?

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Doug Bohman
      Doug Bohman commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually, I did change my route from what Apple Maps and Waze had originally calculated and both recalculated on the fly.

THANKS 4 SHARING THE TEST OF THOSE GPS NAVIGATION SOFTWARE. i AM KIND OF PARTIAL TO SYGIC WHICH SHOWS SPEED LIMIT BUT FAIL ON ACCURACY ON DISTANCE TO RR-CROSSINGS BY HUNDRED OR SO FEET (NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME). I DO LIKE GOOGLE MAPS DUE TO LARGER FONT, BUT IN FAIRNESS I HAVE NOT TRIED TO ENLARGE FONTS ON APPLE-WAZE-SYGIC YET. JOY JOY WITH ALL 4 THAT I PLAY AROUND WITH SO FAR. BEATS MAW HONDA SYSTEM 4 SURE JMHO.

• Red Rider
      Red Rider commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Doug

Doug
    thanks for the great info. I have found my setup to be about the same as yours. I have had a couple times where the bike display shows my Sesa 20 connected but when I plug in my XR apple play says it will not start because there is no headset. huh the bike shows it is there. so if and when that happens I had to go to blue tooth settings and tell it to disconnect the headset and then tell it to reconnect the headset, again plug in the XR and all will be ok. I have had this happen 3-4 times and I have not been able (yet) to tell just what the problem is.
    I am trying to figure out a problem with Pandora radio now. It seems if I go to Pandora via car play it will say loading and it says that for such a long time that in the past I have always given up on it. so the other day I went from Pandora to Iheart and it loaded right away. had my stations or what ever they call it and life was good. so I stopped it and went back to Pandora and it loaded up right away. I have tried both of these a few times and I am still in the learning mode to try and figure out what I do not know yet. but it almost seems that to get Pandora to run, I have to start Iheart first and then go to pandora. still playing and learning
    anyway thanks for sharing your info.

• Doug Bohman
      Doug Bohman commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome. Hope the info is helpful to others as well. Have no experience with Pandora. I use Apple Music that came with the phone. I think there is a huge learning curve with all the technology that out there and now with the tech that comes with the GL, the curve is steeper than ever. Look forward to figuring it all out.

Originally posted by Kenichi View Post
    THANKS 4 SHARING THE TEST OF THOSE GPS NAVIGATION SOFTWARE. i AM KIND OF PARTIAL TO SYGIC WHICH SHOWS SPEED LIMIT BUT FAIL ON ACCURACY ON DISTANCE TO RR-CROSSINGS BY HUNDRED OR SO FEET (NOT AN ISSUE FOR ME). I DO LIKE GOOGLE MAPS DUE TO LARGER FONT, BUT IN FAIRNESS I HAVE NOT TRIED TO ENLARGE FONTS ON APPLE-WAZE-SYGIC YET. JOY JOY WITH ALL 4 THAT I PLAY AROUND WITH SO FAR. BEATS MAW HONDA SYSTEM 4 SURE JMHO.
    Will have to take a look at Sygic. Never heard of it. Thanks.
    2018 Gold Wing DCT Tour in Pearl Hawkseye Blue. Goldstrike LED Trunk Light Kit, Electrical Connection Fog Light Kit, Show Chrome GT Tour Multifunction LED Cowl Light Kit, Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, Show Chrome Seat Bungee Tie Down Brackets, Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Decoupling Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Dip Stick Extender, Traxxion Dynamics Steering Lock Pin,Slip Streamer Clear Wraparound Touring Windshield.

Originally posted by bcnu53 View Post
      Doug
      thanks for the great info. I have found my setup to be about the same as yours. I have had a couple times where the bike display shows my Sesa 20 connected but when I plug in my XR apple play says it will not start because there is no headset. huh the bike shows it is there. so if and when that happens I had to go to blue tooth settings and tell it to disconnect the headset and then tell it to reconnect the headset, again plug in the XR and all will be ok. I have had this happen 3-4 times and I have not been able (yet) to tell just what the problem is.
      I am trying to figure out a problem with Pandora radio now. It seems if I go to Pandora via car play it will say loading and it says that for such a long time that in the past I have always given up on it. so the other day I went from Pandora to Iheart and it loaded right away. had my stations or what ever they call it and life was good. so I stopped it and went back to Pandora and it loaded up right away. I have tried both of these a few times and I am still in the learning mode to try and figure out what I do not know yet. but it almost seems that to get Pandora to run, I have to start Iheart first and then go to pandora. still playing and learning
      anyway thanks for sharing your info.
      bcnu53, try loading and get Pandora playing before you connect it to the GW-it will load up as soon as you select Pandora, at least that worked for me.

Originally posted by Kenichi View Post

bcnu53, try loading and get Pandora playing before you connect it to the GW-it will load up as soon as you select Pandora, at least that worked for me.
        Thanks I will give that a try

Thanks to all for the info and comments. I have been meaning to do the same write up Doug has done for a while now. My experience has been well in line with his. I haven’t used Pandora or Apple Music as I have an older Verizon limited data plan and have limited my tunes to the music loaded on my 6S+ iPhone. Everything works as stated.

My only annoyance is the many differences in menus among the several gps programs. I’m always looking for data in the wrong places and pressing the wrong buttons to move within the menues. My Apple Maps experience has been to see some speed limits displayed while navigating a route, but to loose that data if I end the route. Speed limits display for most US hiways, and many state routes here in Florida, but unlike my Garmin 595, secondary roads have no data and as noted, there is no continuous speed or limits displayed when not on a route.

I’ve used Honda maps for routes that are circuitous, and have gotten the routine of creating in BaseCamp and exporting via Babel down to routine but still find some peculiarities in missed waypoints occasionally. That usually happens when shaping the route and not being very precise with the shaping point. Obviously if a waypoint is missed B**tchin Betty annoys until the errant point is deleted, but that is fairly easy to do. I do like to tell SIRI to navigate to a destination in Apple Maps and have found rerouting on the fly to be quite good. Just make an unplanned turn and it recalcs quickly, sometimes to suggest a u-turn and then later to reroute with a better option. Usually 3 u-turns are enough for her to know you really mean to change the route.

On a recent trip of 150 miles I became bored with Apple’s route after speaking a destination and riding for 30 miles. I noticed an alternate displayed while riding and it showed to be 10 minutes slower. I made the turn and found a very nice ride which meandered around a lot, and surprisingly never took me on an unpaved road. Music and nav volumes have always integrated well for me in Google, Apple, and Honda GPS. I used Waze once, and decided 3 programs were enough to struggle with on the Wing.

I did find that Apple makes some interesting suggestions on its own. It monitors my activity by day and time. On Tuesday I go to the same place for breakfast and Friday for lunch, and Sunday am for Bloody Marys. When I plug the phone in it sets up the route I take on its own. And after, it sets up the Go Home route. Both spooky and perhaps scary too. I suspect the NSA and Homeland are watching me too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing your perspectives and experiences on navigation. I tried using the Honda navigation system a couple of times and got so frustrated I won't go back to it. And although I've settled on Waze for now, it's nice knowing that Apple and Google Maps are a few clicks away when I need them.

That is very freaky, Apple setting up routes for you without asking. Have not had that experience and hope I don't. Watch out for the big black SUVs following you. Ha, ha.

Originally posted by Denman46 View Post

I did find that Apple makes some interesting suggestions on its own. It monitors my activity by day and time. On Tuesday I go to the same place for breakfast and Friday for lunch, and Sunday am for Bloody Marys. When I plug the phone in it sets up the route I take on its own. And after, it sets up the Go Home route. Both spooky and perhaps scary too. I suspect the NSA and Homeland are watching me too.

Hope this helps.
              When I had my Android cell phone I would frequent Wendy's for lunch and when finished and before I could leave the parking lot I would get a text asking me how I liked my lunch and what I thought of Wendy's. Yes spooky & scary. Since I switched to the Apple IPhone that hasn't happened.
              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
              Jimi Hendrix
              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

• Doug Bohman
                Doug Bohman commented
                Editing a comment
                Ran a few errands in the car today and decided to fiddle with the GPS programs on my iPhone. Since I don't get CarPlay in my old Ford Escape, I accessed the apps directly from the phone. Did not use Siri to ask for directions. Instead I got my destination to home via search. Waze gave me the speed limit just like my experience on the GL. Apple Maps showed both the speed limit and my mph. Google maps did not show either, but broke into the Bluetooth on the car with turn by turn directions while the other two did not. Very curious.

Originally posted by RoadRat View Post

When I had my Android cell phone I would frequent Wendy's for lunch and when finished and before I could leave the parking lot I would get a text asking me how I liked my lunch and what I thought of Wendy's. Yes spooky & scary. Since I switched to the Apple IPhone that hasn't happened.
              I wonder if the text from Wendy's had anything to do with Notifications? I'm not familiar with Android, but Apple allows me to turn off Notifications on most if not all apps. I've turned off everything I could/wanted to when possible. I don't want "big brother" monitoring my every move. Paranoid? Careful.

• Denman46
                Denman46 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, it’s under Settings/Notifications/SIRI Suggestions. You can turn that off for all apps or just some. They make the comment that “SIRI may learn from, and make suggestions based on your use of the app”. They claim that info stays on your phone and is encrypted. Yah. Sure. Whatever.

Watch those cop shows and ID on cable and leave your phone at home if you plan to go out and do bad things, because Big Brother knows all and never forgets.

"Ran a few errands in the car today and decided to fiddle with the GPS programs on my iPhone. Since I don't get CarPlay in my old Ford Escape, I accessed the apps directly from the phone. Did not use Siri to ask for directions. Instead I got my destination to home via search. Waze gave me the speed limit just like my experience on the GL. Apple Maps showed both the speed limit and my mph. Google maps did not show either, but broke into the Bluetooth on the car with turn by turn directions while the other two did not. Very curious."

Here's an update to the above post from 4 days ago. Again, via a trip in the Ford Escape running all three GPS programs.

All three provided the time of arrival, the number of minutes till arrival and the distance to the destination. All three provided the speed limit, but only on the state route I used, except for Waze which provided the speed limit on local roads when available. Waze is also the only program that provided the speed at which I was traveling. Apple Maps was the only program that provided the direction I was traveling. Waze provided turn by turn directions via the phone and Google maps broke into the car's Bluetooth to provide turn by turn directions. Apple Maps did neither. Apple maps also did not provide the speed I was traveling this trip, but it did during the first trip. Not sure why Apple Maps behaved differently this time. The only thing I can think of is it may have something to do with running multiple GPS programs simultaneously. Anyway, hope this helps.

Oh, one other thing. I played around with one other GPS program I was unfamiliar with, Sygic. Kenichi mentioned this in his earlier post. It's a program that seems to provide and enormous amount of trip information and detail. The problem I had was each time I went to run it, I had to download the state map needed to get directions and that took several minutes. A real pain in the butt, especially if you need maps for multiple states. I think if you pay the $75 they want from you to buy the program, you won't have to download each time. Not sure, but I'm sure I won't be doing that! No thanks. I'm going to stick with Waze for now.

Is there anyone out there with an Android phone and would like to have Android Auto on their Goldwing? Does anybody know if Honda plans to include it in a future update?
                • 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
                • 1970 Honda CT70 (3sp man auto-clutch - my first "DCT")
                • 2001 Suzuki GSF1200 Bandit
                • Goldwing rider since 1982

• kwthom
                  kwthom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When Google is ready to deal with Honda, they will. Right now, there is next to zero interest by Google to integrate AA onto this bike.

Originally posted by GWRider View Post
                Is there anyone out there with an Android phone and would like to have Android Auto on their Goldwing? Does anybody know if Honda plans to include it in a future update?
                I have an android and would welcome that. For starters I would like my headset to broadcast FM radio and GPS from the Goldwing. My Cardo Scala Q2 doesn't.

Dean

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page