Smart Fob Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Smart Fob Issue

    As a mechanic. I thought of a few issues with the so called Smart fob for the new ST1800.

    Keep in mind. Honda is using a system that no Auto manufacture uses for there push button start cars.
    My cage Fob batteries last at least 2 yrs,depending on how many times I use the vehicle.

    The bike smart key Fob shouldn't be dying in just a few months.


    When was the last time your keyless start car Fob battery died??.


    The first thing would be to simply carry a spare battery in the non-lockable center phone cubby. (Simple enough)


    Then my mechanical mind kicked in and said. What if your FOB battery died, and your back up battery was no good either?? (expired)


    I was reading a story today. Owner was out riding. He notices the Fob battery warning on dash. (He carried no spare battery)

    He stops for fuel. not wanting to kill the engine until he resolves the fob battery issue.

    He can't open the right pocket to "Release" the gas door??.

    He's lucky in that he still has a small amount of fuel left to find a place that has batteries for the fob. (then he can refuel)

    What would of happened if he ran the tank to LOW where he first stopped, and no batteries were available ??

    Out in the middle of nowhere?

    Can't refuel can he? (Can't release the gas door)


    Here is my suggestion. and its really simple to do!!

    I'd drill a hole in the Pocket cover, right above where the gas door release is and insert a black plug in it. (For this type of emergency)

    Should you ever find yourself in a dead fob/spare battery useless too, situation??.

    You pop out the push in plug-- push the gas door release, reinsert the plug, refuel to find a good battery.


    Now you have a redundant simple system, Honda never thought to implement in such a scenario.


    ************************************************** *******
    You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

    When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

    Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
    "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".


  • #2
    i like it! Simple. someone mentioned a plunger of some sort too.

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      Why not use your Smart Key in the Fob and follow the emergency procedures to restart the engine and/or open the compartments? I took a picture of my key code with my phone so I could use that code to get started again.

      That said, I think I would have preferred a regular key like the old units. I always left the key in the bike while parked in the garage. Can’t count all the times I have walked out to the garage to do something only to discover that the &$@# Fob is in the other pair of britches that I’m NOT wearing.

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        I thought of a Door jam switch as soon as I saw the bike in person in long beach. (There was no way I was going from easy to a PITA to open the door at a fuel stop!)

        Push a button-the gas door opens. (Honda should of used the same lock type as the bags n trunk. (No Fob - it don't open-nothing more simple-but then we are at the purpose of this thread again-keep it simple!)


        Here is an example of something that could be used.(Plunger type)

        https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...itch/63297_0_0

        ************************************************** *******
        You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

        When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

        Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rocky View Post
          As a mechanic. I thought of a few issues with the so called Smart fob for the new ST1800.

          Keep in mind. Honda is using a system that no Auto manufacture uses for there push button start cars.
          My cage Fob batteries last at least 2 yrs,depending on how many times I use the vehicle.

          The bike smart key Fob shouldn't be dying in just a few months.


          When was the last time your keyless start car Fob battery died??.


          The first thing would be to simply carry a spare battery in the non-lockable center phone cubby. (Simple enough)


          Then my mechanical mind kicked in and said. What if your FOB battery died, and your back up battery was no good either?? (expired)


          I was reading a story today. Owner was out riding. He notices the Fob battery warning on dash. (He carried no spare battery)

          He stops for fuel. not wanting to kill the engine until he resolves the fob battery issue.

          He can't open the right pocket to "Release" the gas door??.

          He's lucky in that he still has a small amount of fuel left to find a place that has batteries for the fob. (then he can refuel)

          What would of happened if he ran the tank to LOW where he first stopped, and no batteries were available ??

          Out in the middle of nowhere?

          Can't refuel can he? (Can't release the gas door)


          Here is my suggestion. and its really simple to do!!

          I'd drill a hole in the Pocket cover, right above where the gas door release is and insert a black plug in it. (For this type of emergency)

          Should you ever find yourself in a dead fob/spare battery useless too, situation??.

          You pop out the push in plug-- push the gas door release, reinsert the plug, refuel to find a good battery.


          Now you have a redundant simple system, Honda never thought to implement in such a scenario.

          I like it Rocky...That said, easy solution is to keep a spare battery in the phone cubby. (It doesn't lock)
          PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #6
            Originally posted by INTHEWIND View Post

            I like it Rocky...That said, easy solution is to keep a spare battery in the phone cubby. (It doesn't lock)
            I agree, But you'll have to agree the installation of the Plunger would allow you to just push it to open the gas door all the time. (Never have to open the pocket to fuel up again!)
            ************************************************** *******
            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

            When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

            Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
            "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #7
              Great idea, you could tape a replacement battery on the inside of the gas door as the airbag models don"t have the cubby hole

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #8
                Originally posted by DL3825 View Post
                Great idea, you could tape a replacement battery on the inside of the gas door as the airbag models don"t have the cubby hole
                Plenty of places to "hide" a battery.
                PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rocky View Post

                  I agree, But you'll have to agree the installation of the Plunger would allow you to just push it to open the gas door all the time. (Never have to open the pocket to fuel up again!)
                  Yes, Exactly. Ive forgotten to close that damn thing too many times. In fact, I dont keep anything in there any longer because of it.

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                  Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  • Rocky
                    No FOB required.
                    by Rocky
                    Back in the day. Honda didn't feel it was necessary to create a hardship on its motorcycle owners.

                    They used a tried n true method of a simple Key, to start their motorcycles.

                    ...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • Doug44
                    2nd fob
                    by Doug44
                    I received my 2nd fob a couple of days ago and I work part time at our dealership so I just had the head tech program it. I am just planning on keeping it shut off and in one of the bags. It does have...
                    03-16-2018, 06:32 PM
                  • Doug44
                    Spare key within the fob
                    by Doug44
                    Does anyone else think that one of the spare keys for the bike store inside the fob is a good idea ? I mean if you lose the fob du uh you also lose one of your spare keys. I have removed that spare and...
                    04-08-2018, 04:26 PM
                  • speedy1
                    Problem with Smart Key Fob
                    by speedy1
                    I dropped my key fob out of my pocket yesterday and went outside today to move the bike to change oil and the bike won't start. The blue light on the off and on knob doesn't come on. Any thoughts on what...
                    03-07-2019, 07:38 PM
                  • Goldwing DCT
                    Fob
                    by Goldwing DCT
                    Lost my ID tag that was attached to my 1 FOB I received from Texas dealer. I did order another FOB for $133.00 I still have original FOB and two keys with metal tag. Am I going to be OK if I need to...
                    05-01-2018, 09:05 PM
                  Working...
                  X