There’s Oldwingers & there’s Goldwingers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • There’s Oldwingers & there’s Goldwingers

    So I see so many of the old guard Goldwing guys hating on the new & very improved Goldwing. I am very happy Honda finally made a Goldwing I would want. The new bike is fantastic. The old one is not my cup of tea. So I think we can be of two categories, Oldwingers and Goldwingers. If you have one of the fine old road couches & dislike the new model you might be an “Oldwinger”. Those of us who appreciate better handling and modern technology along with less of that road barge feeling are the new Goldwingers. While us new to the fold must respect the history of the venerable Goldwing(Oldwing). Time has marched on. While the new Goldwing is not perfect it is mighty fine.

    Bigger is not better in my world of motorcycles. Many of the Oldwing riders probably wanted an even bigger plusher seat. Maybe bring back the 8 track tape. Add two feet to the length of the bike. Add storage so your bike carries almost as much as your motor home. Maybe make the fuel tank so big it extends past the cylinder heads. Let’s add a third wheel while we are at it. Nothing wrong if you feel this way. The old bike was a fine machine but it was not perfect either. Change is scary but without it we would all still be riding horses to work.

    I thank Honda for giving us a modern Goldwing. One I would finally own. She is like a fat Ballerina dancing with grace and comfort down the road. She does not ride like a sports bike regardless of what Oldwingers say. Sport touring bike is a stretch. She is pretty for a large gal. Holds all I need to carry. I think Honda has done right by this new bike. She is not perfect but no bike is. I am just glad she is not a BMW. I am happy this whippersnapper owns the new Goldwing. Now let’s get back to hating Harley pirates & Sport bike power rangers. Embrace the New wing we can all be one happy family. Now get off my lawn.

  • #2
    Works for me Heyzeus. I’m an Oldwinger on a new one. Just fix the gps and the electronics interface. But I’m still happy.

    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


    • #3
      You forgot a few things for Oldwinger classification---

      1) Chrome. The more the better
      2) Painted Murals, Indians, Flags, Cartoon characters and animals
      3) Sirens.
      4) Multiple flags.
      5) Two way radios
      6) Stuffed animals
      7) Extra pinstripes
      8) Name painted on the trunk
      9) Mudflaps front and back
      10) Dairy Queen ID Card
      11) Matching outfits & bolo ties ***

      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


      • #4
        Originally posted by Heyzeus View Post
        So I see so many of the old guard Goldwing guys hating on the new & very improved Goldwing. I am very happy Honda finally made a Goldwing I would want. The new bike is fantastic. The old one is not my cup of tea. So I think we can be of two categories, Oldwingers and Goldwingers. If you have one of the fine old road couches & dislike the new model you might be an “Oldwinger”. Those of us who appreciate better handling and modern technology along with less of that road barge feeling are the new Goldwingers. While us new to the fold must respect the history of the venerable Goldwing(Oldwing). Time has marched on. While the new Goldwing is not perfect it is mighty fine.

        Bigger is not better in my world of motorcycles. Many of the Oldwing riders probably wanted an even bigger plusher seat. Maybe bring back the 8 track tape. Add two feet to the length of the bike. Add storage so your bike carries almost as much as your motor home. Maybe make the fuel tank so big it extends past the cylinder heads. Let’s add a third wheel while we are at it. Nothing wrong if you feel this way. The old bike was a fine machine but it was not perfect either. Change is scary but without it we would all still be riding horses to work.

        I thank Honda for giving us a modern Goldwing. One I would finally own. She is like a fat Ballerina dancing with grace and comfort down the road. She does not ride like a sports bike regardless of what Oldwingers say. Sport touring bike is a stretch. She is pretty for a large gal. Holds all I need to carry. I think Honda has done right by this new bike. She is not perfect but no bike is. I am just glad she is not a BMW. I am happy this whippersnapper owns the new Goldwing. Now let’s get back to hating Harley pirates & Sport bike power rangers. Embrace the New wing we can all be one happy family. Now get off my lawn.

        LOVE IT! Im also the demographic for whom this bike was made. If it wasnt for this design, I wouldve purchased a BMW.

        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


        • #5
          Originally posted by vneal View Post
          You forgot a few things for Oldwinger classification---

          1) Chrome. The more the better
          2) Painted Murals, Indians, Flags, Cartoon characters and animals
          3) Sirens.
          4) Multiple flags.
          5) Two way radios
          6) Stuffed animals
          7) Extra pinstripes
          8) Name painted on the trunk
          9) Mudflaps front and back
          10) Dairy Queen ID Card
          hahahaha!

          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


          • #6
            Don’t forget matching outfits and bolo ties!!!

            LOL

            mattbcnv
            2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


            • #7
              Originally posted by Heyzeus View Post
              So I see so many Goldwing guys hating on the new & very improved Goldwing.
              Why do you infer having a different more experienced opinion "hating"
              Some of us were veryu disappointed in after waiting 17 years,Honda pawned this NEW bike on Real Goldwingers.
              The truth of the matter via sales pitches and commercials. Honda could care less about whippersnappers (AKA Oldfarts like you who think they are still 18)
              Honda was clearly targeting a certain age group of which you have long passed. (Nice to feel young I'll admit)

              I thank Honda for giving us a modern Goldwing.
              Hate to break it to ya Whipper - But Honda didn't give you or anyone else a Goldwing for 2018!!.

              Your just fooling yourself.

              What you got is called a ST1800.

              Here's the proof.

              The little Brother and it's clone 2018 brother. (I know you are thinking- What was Honda thinking Right??)

              I'd feel screwed too, If I forked over over $28K for a cheap copy!!

              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9144.JPG Views:	1 Size:	275.9 KB ID:	103864Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9143.JPG Views:	1 Size:	268.2 KB ID:	103865Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9142.JPG Views:	1 Size:	277.8 KB ID:	103866Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9145.JPG Views:	1 Size:	238.8 KB ID:	103867



              She is not perfect but no bike is. I am just glad she is not a BMW.
              Don't go throwing away those BMW brochures just yet. (You may need to reconsider)
              Seeing your bike has already been in for warranty work already. (How's that new bike working out for ya-LOL)



              I am happy this whippersnapper owns the new Goldwing.
              If you know what a 8 track tape is?. You are years past being a whippersnapper. (I bet you can't ride for more than one tank of fuel before you need another sip of Geritol to get the blood in your arse flowing again- LOl


              Now let’s get back to hating Harley pirates & Sport bike power rangers. Embrace the New wing we can all be one happy family. Now get off my lawn. [/QUOTE]

              Anyone who hates another brand of motorcycle is plain and simple a dam fool.

              Now as for getting off your lawn. I AM the lawnmower and your ass is the grass I just mowed!.

              Have a nice day.


              Click image for larger version  Name:	roflmao.gif Views:	7 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	103868
              ************************************************** *******
              You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

              When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


              • #8
                HeyZues, I hafta agree with what you're saying. This bike works for me. While I loved my antique wings, this new one makes me feel 19!

                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                • #9
                  Funny you would classify the new model owners as the Goldwingers.
                  We all know it is an updated ST1300 more than an updated Goldwing.
                  Some are just in denial. lmao

                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                  • #10
                    Well I had both at the same time, a ST1300 and a '08 GL1800. The '08 Wing was getting high in miles, so I sold it and bought a DCT Tour. After riding the 2018, I sold the ST1300 because I didn't need 2 ST's. Sitting on the '18 feels and looks more like the ST1300 than the older GL1800.

                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Heyzeus View Post
                      So I see so many of the old guard Goldwing guys hating on the new & very improved Goldwing. I am very happy Honda finally made a Goldwing I would want. The new bike is fantastic. The old one is not my cup of tea. So I think we can be of two categories, Oldwingers and Goldwingers. If you have one of the fine old road couches & dislike the new model you might be an “Oldwinger”. Those of us who appreciate better handling and modern technology along with less of that road barge feeling are the new Goldwingers. While us new to the fold must respect the history of the venerable Goldwing(Oldwing). Time has marched on. While the new Goldwing is not perfect it is mighty fine.

                      Bigger is not better in my world of motorcycles. Many of the Oldwing riders probably wanted an even bigger plusher seat. Maybe bring back the 8 track tape. Add two feet to the length of the bike. Add storage so your bike carries almost as much as your motor home. Maybe make the fuel tank so big it extends past the cylinder heads. Let’s add a third wheel while we are at it. Nothing wrong if you feel this way. The old bike was a fine machine but it was not perfect either. Change is scary but without it we would all still be riding horses to work.

                      I thank Honda for giving us a modern Goldwing. One I would finally own. She is like a fat Ballerina dancing with grace and comfort down the road. She does not ride like a sports bike regardless of what Oldwingers say. Sport touring bike is a stretch. She is pretty for a large gal. Holds all I need to carry. I think Honda has done right by this new bike. She is not perfect but no bike is. I am just glad she is not a BMW. I am happy this whippersnapper owns the new Goldwing. Now let’s get back to hating Harley pirates & Sport bike power rangers. Embrace the New wing we can all be one happy family. Now get off my lawn.
                      Excellent post - agree 100%
                      My first thought was - I am a Goldwinger - Rocky is an Oldwinger -----

                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by thekid View Post

                        Excellent post - agree 100%
                        My first thought was - I am a Goldwinger - Rocky is an Oldwinger -----
                        Rocky doesn't drink cool aid!! nuf said!
                        ************************************************** *******
                        You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

                        When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

                        Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by thekid View Post

                          Excellent post - agree 100%
                          My first thought was - I am a Goldwinger - Rocky is an Oldwinger -----
                          While I loved Rocky’s reply he was one of the members that came to mind as I wrote the above piece. He proved my point perfectly. Although, my post was just meant in good fun. For the record I own or have owned many bikes, To include Harley’s. For the last ten years most of my bikes were Italian. The Japanese market has been stale. They are finally waking up again. I have even been known to have a scooter or two. Heck most of my friends are giving me crap for buying a Honda and a Goldwing to boot. It is fun to joke about the various subcultures in the motorcycling community. Every one of them has something to laugh about. Two wheels are fun regardless of there type.

                          Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                          • #14
                            I like to help some people. So let me give you two words of advice. "Extended Warranty"


                            ************************************************** *******
                            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

                            When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

                            Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                            • #15
                              I've always said, as long as we're riding we're all in the game together. Keep riding and stay safe no matter what you ride!
                              2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                              USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                              US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                              2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                              2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

                              50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

                              Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                              • #16
                                Rocky still believes the only true cadillacs are 20 ft long and have fins.

                                Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post
                                  I've always said, as long as we're riding we're all in the game together. Keep riding and stay safe no matter what you ride!
                                  Exactly! But wheres the fun in that? whats a good ribbing amongst enthusiasts?

                                  Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Drgsin View Post

                                    Exactly! But wheres the fun in that? whats a good ribbing amongst enthusiasts?
                                    Oh, I love the ribbing - just think sometimes we take it too far and get butt hurt in the process. But hey, people who ride any other color than red can't be expected to make good decisions anyway. heh.
                                    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                                    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                                    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                                    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                                    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

                                    50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

                                    Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                    • #19
                                      Always happy to see "good ribbing amongst enthusiasts". I'm an ancient 62 year old who upgraded from a '06 Wing to a '17 Wing in March. I had a choice on whether to buy an '18 or the '17. For me, it was a no brainer. I understand Honda's marketing to a younger crowd, but now that I have my '17 doesn't much matter to me what Honda does. Planning for this to be my last bike. I knew what I was buying. I don't care to keep up with the Jones and since the youngsters were paying top dollar for the new ST, I was able to get a great deal on my Level 3. YMMV

                                      Comment: (For off-topic replies)


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Drgsin View Post
                                        Rocky still believes the only true cadillacs are 20 ft long and have wings.
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	5972_1__28831_1312922069_1280_1280.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	103948
                                        ************************************************** *******
                                        You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

                                        When Life hands you a Curve - Lean into it!!.

                                        Comment: (For off-topic replies)

                                        Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

                                        Related Topics

                                        Collapse

                                        Working...
                                        X