Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Oil for the 2018 DCT

I don't want this to get into another big oil conversation. I have a 2018 DCT and when I changed the oil for the first time at 2500 miles, I used the recommended Honda OEM oil. I have always used Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic in all my other Gl1800 Goldwings. I would like to use it in the 2018 DCT too.

Has anyone used other than the recommended Honda oil and did you have any issues with the DCT? I'm sure the Mobil 1 would work fine in the engine but questioning about it's use for the DCT.

Please no comments on the best oil to use, just if you have used other than OEM and if you had any DCT issues.

Thanks!
    Mike

If it is 10w-30 and not "energy conserving" or "resource conserving" it's ok

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by MGM1854 View Post
      I don't want this to get into another big oil conversation. I have a 2018 DCT and when I changed the oil for the first time at 2500 miles, I used the recommended Honda OEM oil. I have always used Mobil 1 10w-30 synthetic in all my other Gl1800 Goldwings. I would like to use it in the 2018 DCT too.

Has anyone used other than the recommended Honda oil and did you have any issues with the DCT? I'm sure the Mobil 1 would work fine in the engine but questioning about it's use for the DCT.

Please no comments on the best oil to use, just if you have used other than OEM and if you had any DCT issues.

Thanks!
      Mike
      I’m using Amsoil motorcycle 10-30.

What Dr. No said! I've used the Honda full Syn during one change, and I've use Mobil 1 15w 50 on the next one. The third change will be trying Rotella T-6 full Syn 5w-40.

I'm over 30,000 miles now and I've settled in using the Rotella T-6 5w-40. The best I have found so far for the DCT and at a reasonable price.

Oh no!!
            Attached Files
            PGR RIDE CAPTAIN.. UTAH

Click image for larger version

Name:	there-is-no-amsoil.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	115621
              Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
              Current bikes.
              1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
              1986 GL1200 SEi
              2004 GL1800

No issues at all with first change at 1000 mile with Honda full Syn had it done at my dealer the oil filter was put on so tithe had a hard time getting it off. Going to go back to Rottella T6 for the rest of its life or until something else better comes out.
                2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

One Does Not Simply
                  '03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
                  A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers

Honda full synthetic 10W30. No problems.

I can't believe somebody started another oil thread. They never learn.

Originally posted by ShooterF6B View Post
                        I can't believe somebody started another oil thread. They never learn.
                        Who cares, it's not like the group is busy these days.

Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Personally. Either one of these are great from a dual purpose stand point.

Its healthier for the bike, and me when I re purpose it for cooking up a batch of Fry's.(after 3,000 smiles)

I get what ever is on sale at my corner Walmart.

When I pick up a Fram Filter.

Nothing but the Best for my Scoot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5b92f7d6-8ac0-4630-95ba-8dec7f87edc4_1.ddced08c72faab99679b8d6348dbbee2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.2 KB ID:	115647Click image for larger version  Name:	cd415380-e3f9-4e56-bcf0-ae65750b23db_1.c2b39067290707b585f1c8f5c075b45f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.0 KB ID:	115648
                            ************************************************** *******
                            Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                            "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                            Current bikes.
                            1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                            1986 GL1200 SEi
                            2004 GL1800

• Dogbone
                              Dogbone commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You're a piece of work Rocky!

• Rocky
                              Rocky commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I like to laugh at the dumbphuks out there!

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                            Personally. Either one of these are great from a dual purpose stand point.

Its healthier for the bike, and me when I re purpose it for cooking up a batch of Fry's.(after 3,000 smiles)

I get what ever is on sale at my corner Walmart.

When I pick up a Fram Filter.

Nothing but the Best for my Scoot.

Click image for larger version Name:	5b92f7d6-8ac0-4630-95ba-8dec7f87edc4_1.ddced08c72faab99679b8d6348dbbee2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.2 KB ID:	115647
                            The Great Buy version can leave a stain at the corners. Best to stay with the name brand on this one.
                            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

• kwthom
                              kwthom commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Um...

Use the good stuff...no smoke!

I’m sticking with good ol Honda oil..... tried um all and except for Amsoil there is NO difference....

“use Amsoil or your wing will explode

mattbcnv
                            2018 Pearl Stallion Brown DCT

• Rocky
                              Rocky commented
                              Editing a comment
                              FYI- Amsoil, is refined from fossilized Goldwing owners.

• kwthom
                              kwthom commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Eventually, they will run out of those geriatric riders - then what?? 😂🤣

You may need to re-initialize your DCT after switching to Synthetic or vice versa.
                            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

• Dogbone
                              Dogbone commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Interesting. Would not have thought about that. Makes sense.
                              Speaking of DCT, how often or under what circumstances, should the DCT be re-initialized? Besides this oil issue.

ok dumb question here. once you go full synthetic, is there an issue going back to semi or even non synthetic? the tech at the local dealer seemed to insinuate i need to stick with synthetic but when pressed just kept saying "dont mix the two"

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

• Drgsin
                              Drgsin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              thank you. i think i caught him trying to act smart. lol

• kwthom
                              kwthom commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Maybe I'd be a bit concerned that the "tech at the local dealer" would spew 💩

• Drgsin
                              Drgsin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              yea i got that since he really didnt have an answer lol. you cant mix the two...okay dude.

Originally posted by Drgsin View Post
                            ok dumb question here. once you go full synthetic, is there an issue going back to semi or even non synthetic? the tech at the local dealer seemed to insinuate i need to stick with synthetic but when pressed just kept saying "dont mix the two"
                            I can only speak to Amsoil, you can mix it with any other motor oil without harming your engine.

• Drgsin
                              Drgsin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              thank you...

• GWRider
                              GWRider commented
                              Editing a comment
                              .....and make your own semi-synthetic oil cocktail. Not very scientific though.

You can re-initialize your bike as often as you see fit! It’s not going to hurt anything!

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page