My thoughts of my 2018 Airbag after a 5000 mile trip.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts of my 2018 Airbag after a 5000 mile trip.

I just returned from a 5000 mile trip to the Western states from Missouri. I thought I would give you my thoughts of the 2018 gold wing.

As a bit of background, for the last four years I’ve been riding a 2014 Harley Rushmore Ultra limited. The reliability of that bike caused me to sell it and buy the new wing.

Overall, the motorcycle itself is outstanding. I love the DCT. All the guys that I was riding with complained that I accelerated too quickly. However, I felt like I was accelerating slowly. It’s just that the DCT is so smooth and acceleration rate so quick that she gives you the false impression that you’re accelerating slowly.

I knew prior to leaving that the GPS was terrible to say the least. So I had already mounted a Garman unit on the bike. The Garman worked great with 19 individual routes that we followed throughout the trip.

One complaint that I have about the bike is one that has been mentioned on this forum before. For no reason, occasionally whatever audio input you are listening to will change. I was often listening to SiriusXM and for no reason it would change to another input mode. Other times I would be listening to an audible audiobook, and it would switch to FM. While annoying, this was not a big deal because usually you could just push the input button and it would go right back to where it was playing before.

I should note that I think the suspension on the new bike is outstanding. We were riding in an area of Wyoming and all the other guys that I was riding with were complaining how rough the road was. I was taken aback, as I hadn’t even noticed that it was rough. Therefore I have to give kudos to Honda on the suspension.

As we were gone 17 days I thought that I would be complaining about Storage. In actuality, I didn’t even notice the lack of storage. That is possibly because I have always put a bag in the passenger seat to carry many of my clothes. I usually use the trunk for coats, rain gear etc. and the side bags for other things that are used on a daily basis, such as, Rain cover, cleaning supplies, and other items such as tools, for the Harleys of course, and other things.

Prior to leaving I had already installed a Corbin Saddle. I just want to tell Corbin that the fire and ice seat was knocked out of the park. That is a great change. We had two days where we rode about 700 miles- first day and last. Neither of those days did I feel like I couldn’t get in a comfortable position.

Since we were going to be riding in the mountains I put on my Honda tall windshield. It’s a little taller and a little wider and gives you a bit more protection. It worked very, very well. You can still see you over at in the lowest position but if you have rain you can put it up and have a Lotta coverage. I won’t ride with that shield much except in the shoulder season or on our long trips but it is really nice to have for those occasions.

Overall I am very, very pleased with the 2018 gold wing. It exceeded my expectations, not to mention the fact that I averaged 49 miles a gallon over 5000 miles. About 1500 of those miles was on the interstate, the rest were on back roads.

Other small Niggles. If you use the CB there is a small delay between the time that your co-riders begin transmitting and your CB picks it up. I think that is more due to Bluetooth than the CB itself. But you do have to have them repeat what they say often if they fail to hit the transmit button for a couple seconds prior to speaking. That’s not a big deal but it is a bit of a pain in the rear. Also regarding the Bluetooth I have a PackTalk bold. It works great however after about seven hours on the road it needs charged. I have found that it’s easy to have a small charging battery in my pocket and run a cable out of my jacket on to the Bluetooth device. Not a big issue but it is something that they(PackTalk) could work on.

One last thing. I changed the oil just before I left home for the trip. It is important to make sure your bike is warm before you check the oil. I checked it cold and I thought it was very low I let it run later and it was in fine condition. I don’t get that but it’s working fine. Make sure when you’re checking your oil make sure the engine is warmed up and you’re on your center stand, just FYI.

Good to hear a positive experience. Enjoy.
    2013 Black F6B

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Excellent report- thank you.

very cool! i did a similar trip with mine. Loved how it handled the twisties

Even the pre-2018 CB's have a delay. I don't think that has anything to do with bluetooth. You have to hit the transmit button, take a deep breath, then talk.
          Costa Mesa, CA
          2012 RED GL1800

Good write up

Great to hear, I am returning to goldwing Friday!
              following a hip replacement, and getting back on a Harley due to the rain before the surgery, I think I'll be fine back in a normal riding position.
              I pick up my new wing Friday morning. I'm driving 11 hours to Russellville to get it! Locally they tried to rob me! So I load up my electra glide tomorrow night and head out!

Originally posted by jkelley View Post
                Great to hear, I am returning to goldwing Friday!
                following a hip replacement, and getting back on a Harley due to the rain before the surgery, I think I'll be fine back in a normal riding position.
                I pick up my new wing Friday morning. I'm driving 11 hours to Russellville to get it! Locally they tried to rob me! So I load up my electra glide tomorrow night and head out!
                That’s where I got mine. I think I got their first Airbag.

Great report. Thanks!
                  GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                  Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Well I got her home! Great purchase experience and wow what a bike!
                    im very happy!!!!

👍

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page