Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Tie Rod Upgrade (Traxxion)

UPDATE: Currently have at just over 30k on odo. Steering is still smooth as silk since replacing OEM tie-rod with Traxxion. I've had two tire changes since installing. The first set, I changed at 9k for a coast to coast road trip. No cupping at all. The second set had over 15k with very minimal cupping. My opinion, the Traxxion tie-rod performs as advertised. Worth the investment for OEM replacement.

After 6k on the wing I started getting handlebar wooble at 40-45 on acceleration and deceleration. Took it to dealer. They claimed low air in tires. Same thing kept occurring. Took it back in to have them put balancing beads in front end. 1000 miles later, no improvement. Took it back in, they said cupping front tires on Bridgestones. Purchased Dunlops, made sure they balanced them and still same wobble. They said it was normal, "All bikes do that, the road isn't made of glass". BS. Do they really think we are that stupid? (That is a rhetorical question.)
    At 8k plus, with brand new balanced tires, I was starting to get constant vibration in the handle bar at higher speeds. I

ordered two 2 ounce bags of Dynabeads, dismounted my wheels, and took them to another shop to have them installed. Same problem.

I did research and found that Traxxion Dynamics was seeing handlebar/tierod play on several of the 2018's they were doing the front shock upgrades on. They reverse engineered and discovered the OEM tie rod has a ball joint that sits inside a plastic liner in the cup. The liner starts losing tolerance after 5K miles or so, and gets sloppy. (See Traxxion's videos) They engineered a solid tie rod (no adjusting nuts, no plastic cup sleeve to wear out ; all metal)

I ordered and installed the new Traxxion tie rod. (You only need the right side; see the video) I just took it for a test ride, and the bike rides like it came off the showroom floor. I HIGHLY recommend this upgrade, or you will be going through tires in no time. Tie rod and wrench cost $199 plus shipping. Well worth the upgrade.
    Last edited by Towdude; 02-22-2020, 01:44 PM.

I am just hitting 6000 miles. Will check steering play to see if I need a fix. Rode 250 milex. Combination of twisty mountain roads and freeway. Steering seems fine but it could be better.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Over 18,000 miles here, over half twisties, no problems.

No issues yet. I have had Traxxion products on my last two wings. Usually wait until something is amiss

Have had my 2018 Tour DCT about a month & 700 miles. I've had a mild front wheel "wobble" since early on. Wasn't very noticeable when I picked it up after test ride, as the roads near the dealer were a bit rough, but on a smooth road, it is very noticeable. I can set the cruise @ 50, remove my hands from the grips and see the handlebars wobble. I purchased the bike out of state as my local dealer rarely sells a wing. I took it to them and they said it wasn't bad enough to be a problem and said they contacted Honda and Honda says it's normal. I've owned 5 wings and I know it's not normal. I'm going to watch the Traxion video and see if it's the same issue. I had this problem once before on my 1500 and it was a bad front tire. May try that too. If any of you have had this problem, did you get it resolved, and how?

• Towdude
            Towdude commented
            Editing a comment
            It is NOT normal. Don't let them feed you that BS. On my next scheduled service, I am going to school them on their inferior tie rods. They don't want to listen to the feedback of the customer; they just want to save a buck.

one of his videos showed a bike with a loose steering head nut also. have you checked to see if its that? wobble isnt normal. mine is perfect at any speed and ive ridden 2 others that are the same. i think that dealer is lying about honda saying that.

The GW old GWers wish Honda would make.

• Towdude
            Towdude commented
            Editing a comment
            That was the first thing I check. It was tight.

Sorry you fell for the crap from Traxxion. Max is a joke and so are his products.

• Rocky
            Rocky commented
            Editing a comment
            We both know that Max has a sign on his Desk. "A sucker is being born everyday" His task is to find them,and he does!

• Towdude
            Towdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny. When I switched out the OEM tie rod for the Traxxion, I had ZERO, that is Z-E-R-O wobble. Now try to convince me what is crap. Just because some of his videos are a little hokey doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is talking about.

I suspect that concern about tie rod end play is based on the incorrect assumption that a bike steers like a car.

Bar wobble is caused by tires that are either out of balance, or out of round, or both. Round, balanced tires won't cause wobble. Any other "solution" just masks the bad tire issue. Manufacturer's have very detailed spec's on balance and runout. If the tire measures bad, it will cause wobble. It's fairly common, but often neglected.

• Towdude
            Towdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's recap. I complained about wooble. Stealer said it was not an issue. After rebalance, still had wobble and told me that was normal: "The road is not made of glass, you know" They suggest tire change, because, by now, the front tire is cupping. They put new "balanced" tires on, at a cost to me, but "kindly" at their cost. Still had wobble. I put balance beads in. Still had wobble. Installed aftermarket tie rods and NO wobble. Tell me something I don't know and haven't personally experienced, and get back to me.

Originally posted by Towdude View Post
          After 6k on the wing I started getting handlebar wooble at 40-45 on acceleration and deceleration. Took it to dealer. They claimed low air in tires. Same thing kept occurring. Took it back in to have them put balancing beads in front end. 1000 miles later, no improvement. Took it back in, they said cupping front tires on Bridgestones. Purchased Dunlops, made sure they balanced them and still same wobble. They said it was normal, "All bikes do that, the road isn't made of glass". BS. Do they really think we are that stupid? (That is a rhetorical question.)
          At 8k plus, with brand new balanced tires, I was starting to get constant vibration in the handle bar at higher speeds. I

ordered two 2 ounce bags of Dynabeads, dismounted my wheels, and took them to another shop to have them installed. Same problem.

I did research and found that Traxxion Dynamics was seeing handlebar/tierod play on several of the 2018's they were doing the front shock upgrades on. They reverse engineered and discovered the OEM tie rod has a ball joint that sits inside a plastic liner in the cup. The liner starts losing tolerance after 5K miles or so, and gets sloppy. (See Traxxion's videos) They engineered a solid tie rod (no adjusting nuts, no plastic cup sleeve to wear out ; all metal)

I ordered and installed the new Traxxion tie rod. (You only need the right side; see the video) I just took it for a test ride, and the bike rides like it came off the showroom floor. I HIGHLY recommend this upgrade, or you will be going through tires in no time. Tie rod and wrench cost $199 plus shipping. Well worth the upgrade.
          How much did all of the previous "fixes" finally cost you ? I hate when dealers give you the runarounds and coerce you to spend money on things that are not the cause of the problem.

I had one of my bikes in the stealers for 3 weeks during the summer's peak riding season. The "factory certified" wrench finally pulled something out of his butt as the reason for the problem and I dispelled his ignorance in 5 minutes by having him do a simple test. I collected my bike and never used that stearlership again. Rode the bike 400 miles to a different dealer and their wrench isolated the problem in 20 minutes and fixed it within the hour. On the bright side, I got an 800 mile 2-day ride to make up for the 3-week downtime.

• Towdude
            Towdude commented
            Editing a comment
            $660 with new tires and tire rod. This stealer is a power sport superstore, with better than 6 makes to know how to work on. I will take my GL to a dedicated Honda dealership from now own. No more, "we're still learning" excuses for me.

Originally posted by GLKeith View Post
          Sorry you fell for the crap from Traxxion. Max is a joke and so are his products.
          how so? his products address problems or potential problems. whether or not you like the product doesnt make them a joke. his suspension addresses a bottoming issue, his hand rails address the limited function of the stock rails and his tie rods address a problem that may develop. i dont have any issues with the stock pieces his products address, so i havent purchased any, but others have and the problems have been corrected. why the hate?

• Towdude
            Towdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly. I have talked to other 2018 GL owners, one with 18k on his already, with no issues. Just because it doesn't happen to every bike, doesn't mean there aren't occasional issues. No joke.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roflmao.gif
Views:	346
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	104962
          **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

Originally posted by Drgsin View Post

how so? his products address problems or potential problems. whether or not you like the product doesnt make them a joke. his suspension addresses a bottoming issue, his hand rails address the limited function of the stock rails and his tie rods address a problem that may develop. i dont have any issues with the stock pieces his products address, so i havent purchased any, but others have and the problems have been corrected. why the hate?
            no hate here. Max is a con man snake oil salesman. Honda is much smarter than Max.

• Towdude
              Towdude commented
              Editing a comment
              Honda may be smart, but they don't educate their dealers. Comment from my service manager: "We only got familiarization with the 2018, and training videos" How about hands on training, at the plant, by at least ONE tech from each shop? Specific training on "Listening To Customer's Complaints" Maybe, just maybe you work for Honda and are deflecting.

no hate here. Max is a con man snake oil salesman. Honda is much smarter than Max.
            yea i agree that honda engineers are collectively smarter than max. but even you have to admit that the new bike has faults. why the thread updates on Waze being available? are you not happy with the honda nav system as it is? did honda screw up?

• Rocky
              Rocky commented
              Editing a comment
              Air bags deployed!

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	roflmao.gif
Views:	346
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	104962
            do you have anything intelligent to add to the conversation?

Lets see if this helps you??????? (I doubt it)

just as I thought, no... you cant dispute the facts therefore you resort to one of your overused, mindless replies. at least youre amused and it keeps you away from the knife drawer, where you can hurt yourself.

just as I thought, no... you cant dispute the facts therefore you resort to one of your overused, mindless replies. at least youre amused and it keeps you away from the knife drawer, where you can hurt yourself.
                  Actually you said a Lot about what I needed to know-

Although as usual it was over your head. So I'm good with that. Carry on.

yea i agree that honda engineers are collectively smarter than max. but even you have to admit that the new bike has faults. why the thread updates on Waze being available? are you not happy with the honda nav system as it is? did honda screw up?
                    You must be way too much time on your hands to go back and look up my posts. Waze has nothing to do with the bike it is a app used with Apple Car Play. And Max is still and always will be a fool.

You must be way too much time on your hands to go back and look up my posts. Waze has nothing to do with the bike it is a app used with Apple Car Play. And Max is still and always will be a fool.
                      not at all. i followed your posts on waze because ive been looking for something better than the stock navi system. i know what waze is. if the honda nav did what we wanted it to do, we wouldnt be seeking other apps. point is still proven. honda has made mistakes. sounds like a personal thing.

Wow! Bless your heart.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page