Best and worst national park or monument for riding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and worst national park or monument for riding?

Some parks offer a great motorcycle riding experience while others are not impressive for that purpose. What are your favorites and least favorite? My favorite so far is Colorado National Monument. Least favorite would have to be Isle Royale because you can’t ride there....you have to take a boat.

By far Yellowstone by way of Beartooth and or Hwy 14/14A through Big Horn is the best. The worst Four Corners.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by A_Rider View Post
      By far Yellowstone by way of Beartooth and or Hwy 14/14A through Big Horn is the best. The worst Four Corners.
      Agree. Yellowstone was awesome! Only been to Four Corners by car.

Edited to add that the south rim of the Grand Canyon was pretty cool, but only because a granddaughter was riding with me.
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Arches
        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

[QUOTE=Cruiseman;n94907]Arches[/QUOTE

Most or least favorite ?

[QUOTE=A_Rider;n94913]
            Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
            Arches[/QUOTE

Most or least favorite ?
            Sorry, MOST favorite
            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Yep... Yellowstone is my best. Jackson Hole/Grand Tetons all the way up to Gardiner, Montana. I haven't run across the worst yet. But, I have a feeling that Zion National Park may become the worst. I hear they now have to take reservations just to ride through.
              Robert "Trip" Hilliard
              2006 Goldwing GL1800 Level 2 "Cisco"
              AMA # 3539665
              Blue Knights #59055
              rehilliard.net/hondagoldwing.htm

I really enjoyed riding through Custer, but I think that one may be a State park rather than a Nat'l park. I've never ridden through Yellowstone, so I'll go with Rocky Mountain Nat'l park as my favorite so far. Worst - Yosemite....way too much traffic, most of which wanted to run us off the road, to enjoy any scenery.

I've ridden through Custer State Park myself several times. I'm planning a trip back to the Badlands this coming June, based out of Custer. I've produced several riding routes and GPX files for that area.
                  Robert "Trip" Hilliard
                  AMA # 3539665
                  Blue Knights #59055

Originally posted by Micky Runey View Post
                    I really enjoyed riding through Custer, but I think that one may be a State park rather than a Nat'l park. I've never ridden through Yellowstone, so I'll go with Rocky Mountain Nat'l park as my favorite so far. Worst - Yosemite....way too much traffic, most of which wanted to run us off the road, to enjoy any scenery.
                    I used to live approximately 100 mi. south of Yosemite (Fresno CA) for many years and learned early on to stay away from Yosemite during the summer/tourist months as it's a cluster f**k during those months. My riding in Yosemite would always be in the spring or fall when you could enjoy it. I would always ride over Tioga Pass, elevation 10,000' when the snow was cleared and the road was opened up. In a good snow year it was magical riding over Tioga.
                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                    Jimi Hendrix
                    Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Worst?

Grand Canyon National Park - South Rim. Four million people a year at that place...ugh!

Tied with Yellowstone National Park...simply put, just too many people all trying to do the same stuff.

Best?

Death Valley Nat'l Park. End of discussion.

Honorable mention?

Badlands National Park - simply because when we went thru there, it was June, late, and close to closing time - we had the place to ourselves.

EDIT: A_Rider Four Corners isn't a property controlled by the US Gov't, rather by the sovereign nations that have that area as their lands (Navajo & Ute)

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
                        Worst?

Grand Canyon National Park - South Rim. Four million people a year at that place...ugh!

Tied with Yellowstone National Park...simply put, just too many people all trying to do the same stuff.

Best?

Death Valley Nat'l Park. End of discussion.

Honorable mention?

Badlands National Park - simply because when we went thru there, it was June, late, and close to closing time - we had the place to ourselves.

EDIT: A_Rider Four Corners isn't a property controlled by the US Gov't, rather by the sovereign nations that have that area as their lands (Navajo & Ute)
                        Really ! Yes I know and it is still the worst.
                        As far as Yellowstone or any other of the popular areas try them off season. Totally different experience.

• kwthom
                          kwthom commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well, heck, doesn't really fit the criteria as outlined in post #1, does it?

Someday, I'll figure out what 'off season' is. There really isn't much of an off-season these days @ GCNP, unless they get a big snowstorm, and they're a day or two to dig them out.

North Rim is *much* better than South Rim.

I like Big Bend in Texas. Been around lots of bad drivers but never had a bad motorcycle ride anywhere.
                        STURGIS 1993,

100% with Trailboss. Love me some Big Bend NP!

Worst? Any NP where I can't ride in or there's a crushing crowd, like Yosemite NP. Just sayin'
                          TMRA - life member
                          GWRRA - life member
                          AMA - life member
                          IBA # 1626
                          N. Texas PGR

I have been to over 200 sights managed by the nps, it’s too hard to pick the best, sometimes it depends on the time of year, I have had awesome rides through Yellow Stone and other times it was a traffic jam. Smokey Mountain NP can be a great ride, Acadia NP another good one too. I also enjoyed Battle of Little Bighorn and I believe it is classified as a national monument. I just try to see and enjoy as many as possible.

I like Big Bend. Open spaces not many people

Originally posted by Trailboss View Post
                                I like Big Bend in Texas. Been around lots of bad drivers but never had a bad motorcycle ride anywhere.
                                Big Bend is one of my favorites also. I like to base out of Alpine and take in the whole Big Bend/Presidio/Ft. Davis experience.
                                Robert "Trip" Hilliard
                                AMA # 3539665
                                Blue Knights #59055

Originally posted by trip View Post

Big Bend is one of my favorites also. I like to base out of Alpine and take in the whole Big Bend/Presidio/Ft. Davis experience.
                                  Big Bend is on my bucket list.Better do it soon as I'm not getting any younger.
                                  Location: Vancouver WA Former name: CAWING '04 GL1800
                                  When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                                  Jimi Hendrix
                                  Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Before visiting Big Bend, Ya'll might want to read about the murder of the bar owner in Terlingua at a place called La Kiva. Straight out of a Dracula movie. The owner of the bar had his front teeth shaped like Dracula fangs. On the night the killing occurred, the bar owner (Victim) was drinking heavily with his best bud ( a huge man). Didn't end well for the bar owner. Found dead in the parking lot the next morning. I think there's a TV documentary called "Badlands Texas" that provides the details of this case. Interesting story. I believe a gentleman from Australia bought the club and tried to reopen but I know any updates.
                                    STURGIS 1993,

• Trailboss
                                      Trailboss commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Don't know any updates. Fat fingers, small keys, sorry.

Originally posted by Trailboss View Post
                                    Before visiting Big Bend, Ya'll might want to read about the murder of the bar owner in Terlingua at a place called La Kiva. Straight out of a Dracula movie. The owner of the bar had his front teeth shaped like Dracula fangs. On the night the killing occurred, the bar owner (Victim) was drinking heavily with his best bud ( a huge man). Didn't end well for the bar owner. Found dead in the parking lot the next morning. I think there's a TV documentary called "Badlands Texas" that provides the details of this case. Interesting story. I believe a gentleman from Australia bought the club and tried to reopen but I know any updates.
                                    I ain't skeered.
                                    Robert "Trip" Hilliard
                                    AMA # 3539665
                                    Blue Knights #59055

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                                    widgetinstance 272 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                    Working...
                                    X