Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Maps update

Anyone know when Garmin GPS update will come out for 2012-2017, here is what the Garmin site says, I can't believe it takes them so long to do this.

"The map update comes on an SD™ card for model years 2012 to current. The current map available for purchase is City Navigator® North America 2015.40."

Thanks, John
    John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

In the past the updates come around the End of August for the wing - With the New 2018 being released I Doubt it will be supported much longer - The reason It's so long because HONDA has to Fund it because of a Garmin use agreement - Hence Most MFG's are using "open" source going forward (Car play + Android Google maps) as example - and it gives the MFG one more part of the Ride the no longer have to support or split profit with.
    Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

This is also the reason there's been a small community of users that have been taking other Garmin devices that have regular updates (like as in stand-alone GPS) and transconbobulating them into being used on the '12-'17 bikes.

1. So, you *do* legally own a set of maps, useable on your stand-alone GPS.

2. It's technically possible to use the map data (e.g. 2018.01) from that stand-alone GPS. and have your bike read that data.

Thus, step 2 is the process that may - or may not - be completely legal to do.

Note that this has been going on since the 2006-2008 bikes. I think that was updated once by Honda/Garmin, and that was because the original (V1.0) GPS couldn't read the 'new' map data. Thus, a firmware update was part of that build.

I was told that the new maps, had been pulled due to a map problem, update was number was: 2019.10

2. It's technically possible to use the map data (e.g. 2018.01) from that stand-alone GPS. and have your bike read that data.

Thus, step 2 is the process that may - or may not - be completely legal to do.

Thats what I'm really not sure of...Is it Legal to use the life time update I have from another garmin product , Well honestly,I know it is not right
        with screw ups like this...Garmin is making people to be unethical.

John

John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

• RoadRat
          RoadRat commented
          Editing a comment
          I read the same thing about the new update being pulled due to a glitch. It never said what the glitch was.

Originally posted by JGDJR View Post
        Thats what I'm really not sure of...Is it Legal to use the life time update I have from another garmin product , Well honestly,I know it is not right
        with screw ups like this...Garmin is making people to be unethical.
        First: IANAL (I am not a lawyer...), but if you're wanting to split hairs, then, no you're screwed, as I doubt Honda & Garmin will play nice in the sandbox for the 2012-2017 updates much longer - if at all.

At that point, the bike GPS should then be considered unsupported technology. There's a LOT of legal wrangling wrapped around that very subject.

I can't be your conscience. It does seem that several are doing it; what sucks in having to procure another GPS that may or may not be useful in a motorcycle application just to get the legal map data to use in this manner.

My two-bits worth.

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
          First: IANAL (I am not a lawyer...), but if you're wanting to split hairs, then, no you're screwed, as I doubt Honda & Garmin will play nice in the sandbox for the 2012-2017 updates much longer - if at all.

At that point, the bike GPS should then be considered unsupported technology. There's a LOT of legal wrangling wrapped around that very subject.

I can't be your conscience. It does seem that several are doing it; what sucks in having to procure another GPS that may or may not be useful in a motorcycle application just to get the legal map data to use in this manner.

My two-bits worth.
          They didn't seem to play nice even when they were in partnership. I'd say you're right. I definitely don't see it getting; probably worse.
          2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
          USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
          US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
          2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
          2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page