Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk Plastic

Anyone ever have these plastic pieces crack, break off. I already ordered the new parts (L&R) I am easy closing my trunk,not sure why they broke?

Pictures are ones I found around the internet.

Thanks John
    John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Had to replace my right side trunk hinge mounting base about 2 months ago. It is not the closing of the trunk, but the OPENING that causes this stress. Especially if you have a luggage rack installed. I was always careful closing the lid, but never paid much attention to opening it. I used to leave the trunk lid open at night in my garage, but the whole time, those plastic mounting tabs were under stress.

Do you have a luggage rack installed? If so, that adds quite a bit of weight to the trunk lid.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

No trunk rack installed...I was more careful closing it, than opening it. I guess if I think about it, I open it, and let go of it
      before it comes to rest in the full open position. Guess when I replace both sides (both sides are missing a piece like in the first picture)
      I will be more careful opening it as well. Thanks for you reply Chris

John

Chris, Can you tell me is item 41 what you ordered for the right side? I ordered both 41 and 45

John

Originally posted by JGDJR View Post
          Chris, Can you tell me is item 41 what you ordered for the right side? I ordered both 41 and 45

John
          That looks like the part!

The reason the plastic cracks/fails. is once the hinges are fully extended. The plastic has to absorb the weight of the lid/Trunk opener/wiring/pass backrest.

As Chris pointed out. many don't even realize it until something breaks.

I was thinking of adding lanyards to the lid, like the bag doors have. (It wouldn't be hard to add a set to carry the weight)
            Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
            "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
            Current bikes.
            1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
            1986 GL1200 SEi
            2004 GL1800

Guess I better go out to the garage and check mine. The lanyard idea seems like some good preventative maintenance.
              When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
              Jimi Hendrix
              Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Rocky,That sounds like a good idea. You know I did not even realize the plastic was broken, until I was doing something
                around the rear speaker pods, and the trunk lid lifted up. I thought, that sure is not right,and I opened the trunk and sure
                enough both sides were broken.

Like you, I think the problem is the trunk lid, when opened is going over center (Vertical) and it puts
                all the weight on the plastic hinges. The cable idea you thought of just might be the answer.

Have you ever broken them Rocky?? Wonder just how common it is for them to crack? I have no idea how long mine were broken.

Thanks, John

All three plastic mounting points on my right trunk lid mount failed at the same time (or one failed, and the weight caused the other two to fail). I opened my trunk and it damn near fell off in my hand. I caught it time so that it did not torque off the left side tabs.

Again, this is a real issue for anyone with a luggage rack. And, if you have something tied to the luggage rack, say 10lbs or more, you could really do some damage.

In 11 years and 220,000 miles of some rough riding, Labrador - Alaska, and heavy loads,30-40 lbs, on the lid I never had plastic break but I did have one of the metal hinges
                    break.

Originally posted by A_Rider View Post
                      In 11 years and 220,000 miles of some rough riding, Labrador - Alaska, and heavy loads,30-40 lbs, on the lid I never had plastic break but I did have one of the metal hinges
                      break.
                      Believe it or not, There has been more broken metal hinges, than the plastic they connect too. Both break form the same stress.
                      At some point a few years back. Honda superseded the hinge part number. (Most likely a different vendor,after more than a few warranty claims were paid out!)
                      ************************************************** *******
                      Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                      "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                      Current bikes.
                      1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                      1986 GL1200 SEi
                      2004 GL1800

Like Chris,and Rocky said...the damage happens when the lid is full open...not closed..

Something else to watch out for with the hinge mounts, those three bolts on each side that hold the hinges onto the mouldings can work loose and even fall out.
                          It's worth checking them from time to time.

Originally posted by wingrider.steve View Post
                            Something else to watch out for with the hinge mounts, those three bolts on each side that hold the hinges onto the mouldings can work loose and even fall out.
                            It's worth checking them from time to time.
                            I had those bolts work loose and 1 of them fell into the trunk on my '01, all has been good on my '04.
                            Location: Vancouver WA Former name: CAWING '04 GL1800
                            When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                            Jimi Hendrix
                            Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page