What tools do you take on a road trip?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tools do you take on a road trip?

Here are some things I keep on my Goldwing whenever I am on a road trip:

Stubby Phillips screwdriver
    Stubby flathead screwdriver
    Sticky rope for tire repair
    Tire repair reamer
    Extra fuses
    Small 1/8" drive ratchet handle
    8mm, 10mm, 12mm sockets
    5mm, 6mm Allen/Hex sockets
    8mm, 10mm, 12mm open-end wrench
    Small crescent wrench
    Leatherman tool
    Silicone tape

If I am pulling my trailer, I also carry:

1 qt oil
    Oil filter
    Small rechargeable drill and bits
    Small container of grease
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

pretty much what cruiseman carries plus a small pocket air compressor

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

A Stop&Go mushroom plug kit. Slim air pump. This is on the bike all the time. On vacation/ trips I carry a torque wrench large enough to remove and torque the rear wheel. Then the needed sockets and Allen wrench’s to R&R front wheel along with a cheat sheet of needed torque values . As always a credit card for a roll back.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
        Here are some things I keep on my Goldwing whenever I am on a road trip:

Stubby Phillips screwdriver
        Stubby flathead screwdriver
        Sticky rope for tire repair
        Tire repair reamer
        Extra fuses
        Small 1/8" drive ratchet handle
        8mm, 10mm, 12mm sockets
        5mm, 6mm Allen/Hex sockets
        8mm, 10mm, 12mm open-end wrench
        Small crescent wrench
        Leatherman tool
        Silicone tape

If I am pulling my trailer, I also carry:

1 qt oil
        Oil filter
        Small rechargeable drill and bits
        Small container of grease
        I would like to add to your list,
        NEW (each year) glue for your sticky rope

Since there is so much electronics on the bike...I would add a small multi meter/continuity checker, a jumper wire with alligator clips, and due the black hole(s) in and around the fairing, a telescoping magnet...and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you mean a 1/4" drive ratchet...not a 1/8" drive (never seen a 1/8" drive) and a extension for the ratchet...surgical gloves to keep the hands clean or a small pack of pre-conditioned hand cleaning wipes.

I also carry a small can of WD40, a small roll of duct tape, a tube of Krazy Glue(same as super glue) and some zip ties. I carry a set of jumper cables for bike use, but do not hook to a car. Have jump started several bikes from my Wing with them.
            Harvey
            Ride Safe and Ride Often

C'mon - these are tried-and-true Goldwings here!!

Nobody with only a credit card (or two) and a functioning cell phone??
              Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Enough to do a complete tear down and rebuild, plus the service manual. Of course when my 2018 arrives that will change to nothing!

Originally posted by vneal View Post
                  pretty much what cruiseman carries plus a small pocket air compressor
                  Yep, plus sticky rope plugs, wd-40, 1x2 about 7 inches long to get front wheel up, multimeter, extra headlight bulbs, small hacksaw,tire irons, and a good credit card.
                  DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
                  2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

My biggest concerns are tire problems, that's all I've had to address. So, an 18" breaker bar (For rear lug-nuts) and sockets for removing front & rear wheels. Tire repair kit and small compressor.

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the reminder. The pump itself is fine; after 8 or 9 years, the air line is starting to stay in a permanently kinked condition. I may have to see where I'd be able to source one to replace it.

Dump the compressor fellas. One of the riding buddies had a flat on his Busa. We fixed the tire, I pull out my compressor ... the compressor failed. A slime .. dead... used twice. Other riding buddy had a CO2 inflator. Took about 4 canisters to completely fill the busas tire. Moral of the story .. the CO2 inflater wont fail.

Originally posted by sumncguy View Post
                      Dump the compressor fellas. One of the riding buddies had a flat on his Busa. We fixed the tire, I pull out my compressor ... the compressor failed. A slime .. dead... used twice. Other riding buddy had a CO2 inflator. Took about 4 canisters to completely fill the busas tire. Moral of the story .. the CO2 inflater wont fail.
                      I've had a MotoPumps MiniPro Deluxe for ~4 years; nothing but reliable. However, I've also had two of the cheap Chinese ones they sell at Harbor Freight fail the 2nd time I used them. You'll get what you pay for on portable auto pumps.
                      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

One more thing that I carry is one of the Lithium battery jumper packs. No more jumper cables. i actually started a dead Dodge Durango with it while at a campground. And you can charge your cell phone with it.

This is about all I carry...plus a small Air Compressor...
                          John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Breaker bar and deep 19mm socket for tire changes.
                            ¼ inch drive set.
                            Small set of metric combination wrenches
                            Multimeter
                            Tire plug kit.
                            Coiled air hose with tire chuck/gauge long enough to reach from my Tailwinds compressor outlet to the front of the bike.

Thats about it other than a cell phone and credit card.

Originally posted by JGDJR View Post
                              This is about all I carry...plus a small Air Compressor...
                              I like that roll-up bag. Is that Snap-On?
                              GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                              Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

The tool roll was sold by Aerostich...and it is very well made...However I don't see it offered now...They did have a large selection but, now it seems they want to sell pre filled kits...which I really don't like.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsear...0&q=tool+rolls

John

John - Richmond 2013 GL1800, Level 3

Originally posted by JGDJR View Post
                                  The tool roll was sold by Aerostich...and it is very well made...However I don't see it offered now...They did have a large selection but, now it seems they want to sell pre filled kits...which I really don't like.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsear...0&q=tool+rolls

John
                                  This one comes without tools, but (IMHO) it's pretty pricing for just a roll-up bag... Left your mouse point rest on the thumbnail of the open kit. You should get a little pop-up that mentions "tools not included".

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tool-roll.html
                                  <p class="indent">A classic biker’s tool roll, made-over modern with smarter pockets and pouches. You’ll clean out your tool kit and still end up with space to spare in this bag. Three large hook & loop pouches + 20 smaller pockets for wrenches & screwdri
                                  White '08 Navi
                                  SW OH

20 years and 300,000 miles ago, I filled a bag with tools when I started riding Gold Wings. It hasn’t been opened since so I’m not quite sure what is in there.

$6 canvas bag from Harbor Freight. Bubble gum, Band-Aids, Scotch Tape.

What more d'ya need??
                                      Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page