Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First road trip of 2017

OK, it's a short road trip, but a road trip nonetheless. I am planning to ride the Wing to West Texas this week. It's about 350 miles from my home in DFW to Midland. I will spend a few days with my brother, then head back home!
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Cruiseman, enjoy the road-trip. It's all good! We just finished a small road-trip to Altamonte Springs, FL which is about 875 round-trip road miles. Hope your weather will be like ours which was blue-sky, sunny and pleasant temps albeit the yellow-pollen is plentiful. We rode down US19 out of Georgia which is pretty good rural riding or as rural as one might find in Florida.
    Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
    My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
    "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Saddlesore 1000 coming up in a couple weeks - Vegas to Elgin, OK. We need to babysit our grandchildren for a few weeks while our daughter-in-law has surgery. What a great excuse for a bike ride! For some strange reason, I enjoy riding I-40 thru Amarillo, TX. There's a large amount of businesses alongside the freeway, but access roads parallel the interstate; the traffic never seems to be an issue. And I am intrigued by the array of restaurants, hotels, car and camper dealerships, and, of course, the western apparel storefronts! Once east of Amarillo.... not much to see other than windmill farms!

Originally posted by Buckwing View Post
        Saddlesore 1000 coming up in a couple weeks - Vegas to Elgin, OK. We need to babysit our grandchildren for a few weeks while our daughter-in-law has surgery. What a great excuse for a bike ride! For some strange reason, I enjoy riding I-40 thru Amarillo, TX. There's a large amount of businesses alongside the freeway, but access roads parallel the interstate; the traffic never seems to be an issue. And I am intrigued by the array of restaurants, hotels, car and camper dealerships, and, of course, the western apparel storefronts! Once east of Amarillo.... not much to see other than windmill farms!
        I've ridden through Amarillo more times than I care to remember. One year I got snowed in just west of Amarillo in Vega for 1 1/2 days on my way to visit my buddy in Clarksville AR. and would usually run into bad weather in that area lots of times. Don't forget to stop at the Big Texan and see if you can make a dent in that 72 oz steak that they advertise. They call it a steak but it's more like a big roast. Good luck in your quest for a Saddlesore 1000.
        When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
        Jimi Hendrix
        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

The ride to West Texas was uneventful (which is good). It is not really my type of ride because it is an Interstate the entire way, which I hate. I am a back road guy. I no longer even try to fight for position with the big rigs at 75mph, I just put the bike on 60 and let everyone zoom past me. I am not in that big of a hurry anyway. Plus, the wind is a little less daunting at 60 than 75.

When I got to Midland, I decided to borrow my brother's test unit to check my battery. Not for any particular reason, just because the battery is more than 4 years old (OEM). Sure enough, it looks like it did not pass the health test with only 32 CCA! I guess I am lucky it was still working at all. I tried to find a quality battery locally, but decided to just replace with a Walmart battery.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	EverStart.jpg Views:	1 Size:	198.9 KB ID:	82330

I have the battery on the trickle charger now and should be throwing it into the bike later today.

I stopped twice alone the way for gas (and to stretch my legs) and stopped again once I reached Midland. My gas mileage was as follows:

1st Stop (Eastland, TX): 41.69
          2nd Stop (Sweetwater, TX): 42.27
          3rd Stop (Midland, TX): 39.71

That is an average of 41.22 mpg

And, for 2/3 of the trip I was bucking a 10-15 mph headwind. Still lovin' my engine rebuild!
          Last edited by Cruiseman; 04-01-2017, 07:16 AM.
          GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
          Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

This time of the year in Southern Oregon we take advantage of any nice weather we get. Typically, here it is wet, when I say wet I mean wet for days on end. A week ago was one of those weekends where the weather was reasonable for a nice ride. We took a ride over to the Oregon coast via hwy 199. Hwy 199 is a great ride for motorcycles, lots of twisties and the ride through the Smith River canyons is always a joy to ride. From my place in Medford, Oregon the round trip ride is around 200 miles, the nice thing is, I never have to get on the freeway back roads all the way.
            Vietnam Veteran 69-70 9th ID
            Member: Military Order of the Purple Heart
            Member: GWTA-Oregon

Did a short ride the other day to Lubbock TX and back from Altus, Ok. Just a Sunday lunch run that totaled 420 miles. Nice ride and even had a tailwind coming back - got to love dry lines and SW winds!

Originally posted by Terryj View Post
                This time of the year in Southern Oregon we take advantage of any nice weather we get. Typically, here it is wet, when I say wet I mean wet for days on end. A week ago was one of those weekends where the weather was reasonable for a nice ride. We took a ride over to the Oregon coast via hwy 199. Hwy 199 is a great ride for motorcycles, lots of twisties and the ride through the Smith River canyons is always a joy to ride. From my place in Medford, Oregon the round trip ride is around 200 miles, the nice thing is, I never have to get on the freeway back roads all the way.
                Wife and I have ridden 199 twice now, very nice road!!
                DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
                2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

I have also ridden hwy 199 about 4-5 times when in the area and it a great motorcycle road.
                  When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                  Jimi Hendrix
                  Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page