Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Saddlesore 1000 (ride report)

I completed my first SaddleSore 1000 last week. I traveled from Las Vegas to Clinton, OK (1044 miles according to Google Maps and 1097 according to my odometer) in eighteen hours forty minutes. That includes one stop of one hour twenty minutes for dinner. My son is stationed at Fort Sill - visiting the grandkids provided the excuse for this trip. My wife Linda was flying in and I knew the distance was right for a SS1000. I purposely stopped short of their home to avoid an inconveniently late arrival.

I started with a full tank of gas and made six fuel stops. The ride reports I'd read are verified. You really have plenty of time on this ride when using interstates for travel. I didn't rush any of my stops. Not counting the dinner break, my average stop lasted 21.6 minutes. The longest was 31 minutes (had a cup of coffee and a breakfast burrito in Flagstaff, AZ) and the shortest stop was eleven minutes. Most of the stops were prolonged by me stretching and by people wanting to talk about the trip or their experience on motorcycles. I knew these distractions were costing me time, but I thoroughly enjoyed hearing their stories.

Gotta do something to handle the sunrise. While riding east between Kingman and Flagstaff, the sun came over a mountain peak and absolutely blinded me. It got me off the throttle and looking behind me for trouble coming up, but I absolutely could not see forward for a few heart pounding seconds. There will be a visor on my helmet soon to handle this. I know I've seen this issue raised before, but I didn't act on it. I definitely will now. Does anyone have a source to add a visor to a Nolan N-90 helmet?

Somewhere between Flagstaff and Gallup, NM a pickup pulling a trailer with a dozer on it decided to shed some dirt clods and rocks. I happened to be in the vicinity and my right boot took a hit from a dirt clod. No problem, other than making me feel foolish when remembering my belly pan was still on a shelf in my garage. It certainly wasn't any help there. I'll get it reinstalled upon returning home.

And trucks! My Dad was a trucker and I rode with him a few times. So I know some of the issues truckers face and have a tremendous respect for them. But come on! It really is frustrating when trucks are struggling to keep up their speed and end up blocking those who can maintain the speed limit (okay, slightly above the limit!). It seems the trucks from the CRST firm are particular victims of this.

Speaking of trucks, here's a question - what do you do when you come up on a truck with issues going on with a trailer axle/wheel? I happened upon a truck with smoke coming from the left rear trailer axle area. I held back for a while with visions of a recap tire shredding and finally decided I need to get past this guy. Here's where the Goldwing's torque is really appreciated - I gunned it and zipped past him as quickly as possible. I pointed to his rear axle as I passed his cab, but I'm guessing he was wondering what's that guys problem rather than checking his trailer. I don't have a CB; I suppose that might have come in handy.

I recently installed a Sena 10s Bluetooth headset. I ported the motorcycle's audio to a cheap Bluetooth transmitter and paired it to my helmet. It worked flawlessly. I made a couple phone calls home to update Linda to allay her concerns and listened to my BikeMP3 player the entire way. Somewhere around the thirteenth hour I decided to connect the headset to USB power. But, it was still going strong when plugged it in so I really don't know how long it would go before running out of juice. If you are looking for something to listen to on a long ride - download the Podcast SERIAL, season two. Its eleven episodes about the Bergdahl debacle. I enjoyed it, learned a couple things, was forced to ponder a couple issues, but in the end - IMHO the guy deserted and needs to be punished. But, DoD needs to address some shortcomings too.

Traffic - I passed through Albuquerque around 2 pm. The traffic was absolutely horrendous unless you enjoy being packed into a throng of cars/trucks going eighty MPH. I'd planned a gas stop there, but given the traffic, I decided to press through ABQ and get gas on the east side. Mistake! I watched Kirtland AFB's golf course go by, and then nothing. I ended up making two exits from I-40 onto Rte. 66, but gas wasn't to be found conveniently. At one of those stops I ended up in a chip gravel construction zone. The flagmen there weren't really helpful suggesting a refueling location. I'm not convinced they really understood English! After sweating a low fuel light, I'm thinking one of those metal bottles of spare gas might be worthwhile after all.

So I learned some lessons (actually the lessons were relearned before on this board and others, this trip just drove those lessons home).

1. Get a visor for the helmet (sunglasses and/or a helmets drop down sun shield won't do) to handle sunrise/sunset.
    2. Use the equipment you already have - get your belly pan reinstalled.
    3. Carry some spare gas.

My first SaddleSore 1000! It really was simple to do, but absolutely thoroughly enjoyable. I'll get the paperwork assembled and sent to the IBA and proudly hang my certificate somewhere. And my backer plate will be proudly displayed on my bike. But, I need to do a lot more to really feel a part of the IBA community.

Hope you've enjoyed my ride report and can chip in with lessons you've learned (or relearned) on your travels. It'd be good to see a motorcycling discussion on this board.

Congratulations on your ride! It is always a wonderful feeling to accomplish a goal.
    Harvey
    Ride Safe and Ride Often

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Congrats on your ride. I've done four SS1000s and loved every one. I call them my "mind clearing ride" cause its a great way to spend some alone time and get the cobwebs cleared out so to speak.

Like you when I come upon a semi I get by it as quickly as possible then slow back down to my cruising speed once past it.

Welcome to the IBA,
      Dan
      2007 dark blue Navi
      Traxxion "Mega Monty"
      IBA 54656

Originally posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
        Congrats on your ride. I've done four SS1000s and loved every one. I call them my "mind clearing ride" cause its a great way to spend some alone time and get the cobwebs cleared out so to speak.

Like you when I come upon a semi I get by it as quickly as possible then slow back down to my cruising speed once past it.

Welcome to the IBA,
        Dan
        I agree 100% about the "mind clearing ride". I also call it my "attitude adjustment" ride.
        When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
        Jimi Hendrix
        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Good job! Something like this might help during those sunrises. They stick onto the top of the shield. Easily removed and installed in seconds.
          Costa Mesa, CA
          2012 RED GL1800

"Mind clearing ride" or attitude adjustment" are both very appropriate names. My sister asked if I was sore after the ride. After thinking about it, I realized I was not sore at all. I was tired and slept very well though. So, evidently, my mind was cleared and my attitude was adjusted!

Glarson3, are those templates for some tape on the shield or are they visors available for those particular helmets? Regardless, thanks for the tip. For my westbound ride I'll just put some tape at the top of my face shield.

Congrats on your ride!! Sometimes it's best to research your stops in advance to avoid delays and or running out.
              DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
              2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fog-City-Ant...3D380743570556
                Jimi Hendrix

Pooch, you're right. I should have disregarded the traffic and followed my plan to stop in ABQ for gas. RoadRat, thanks for the link but I don't think another tinted shield would have helped. But, at 53% tint, that is pretty dark. Do you have first hand experience with this product? Thanks to you both for your input.

Excellent ride report! It's got the juices flowing again for "another" end of the season ride. Kinda off subject - just spent a long weekend in Mesa, AZ for a son's wedding. This time of year I almost wish we were there just for the riding weather. Almost. The other 8 months aren't quite worth it - yet. Our weather in southeastern NC is right smack between you and the folks who have to garage their bikes for the winter. The late Fall days may be a little past prime for one of these this year. Thinking.....
                    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Originally posted by Buckwing View Post
                      Pooch, you're right. I should have disregarded the traffic and followed my plan to stop in ABQ for gas. RoadRat, thanks for the link but I don't think another tinted shield would have helped. But, at 53% tint, that is pretty dark. Do you have first hand experience with this product? Thanks to you both for your input.
                      No I don't have any experience with the product shown. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a pull down tinted shield and the shield is pretty dark but on some rare occasions I have been blinded by the sun and it's pretty scary when that happens. The "pucker factor" increases quite a bit.
                      Jimi Hendrix

Originally posted by RoadRat View Post

No I don't have any experience with the product shown. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a pull down tinted shield and the shield is pretty dark but on some rare occasions I have been blinded by the sun and it's pretty scary when that happens. The "pucker factor" increases quite a bit.
                        PUCKER FACTOR is an understatement! I'm a retired pilot, and pilots always wear dark sunglasses (except mine are bifocals now). Tint wasn't going to help in this situation. I just happened to be pointed in the right direction looking at the sunrise glow when a sliver of the sun crested the mountain peak. Man, was it bright. The light absolutely blinded my view of the road ahead. I've flown with gold plated helmet eye shields that would automatically darken in the event of a nuclear blast. I think this sunlight might have activated one of those visors! I'll just put some dark tape at the top of my face shield - allowing me to down tilt my head and shade my eyes when necessary.

Just ran across this when doing another search.
                          https://www.amazon.com/The-Original-.../dp/B00BSCFETQ
                          Couple of other options if you scrool down on that page.
                          Jimi Hendrix

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page