Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket?

Hey...anyone here wearing the 2016 version of the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket?

D'ya like it?

I need an upgrade...this looks promising.
    Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Looks nice, one place has them for 349.00
    DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
    2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• kwthom
      kwthom commented
      Editing a comment
      I know... :D

Don't have a 2016 model. But did buy my first back in 2003 and really enjoyed it. It was sort of an all season jacket except for really hot weather. I wore it out and replaced it with a new one in 2012 which is still going strong. I like the fact it is waterproof and still has a lot of vents. It also has plenty of pockets. I am not sure if the liner still is part of the deal but mine came with a liner. You could zip it out when too warm and you could also use it as a sort of warm windbreaker when not on the bike.

I have also got a Gerbings liner for the cold weather.

If I had any complaint with the jacket it would be the weight but you can't have all that it offers plus the protection without some weight.
    Harvey
    Ride Safe and Ride Often

Originally posted by kwthom View Post
      Hey...anyone here wearing the 2016 version of the FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket?

D'ya like it?

I need an upgrade...this looks promising.
      Ken, I own one but have only used it 1/2 a dozen times when it was really cold. As you say, it is a great jacket, but it's just too much of a jacket for my area. I now wear a much lighter jacket with a heated liner. My Kilimanjaro is High-Viz Yellow and Large in size. I would sale it for $150 bucks +shipping if you want it. Can send pictures if you like.

JJ
      Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
      My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
      "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

• kwthom
        kwthom commented
        Editing a comment
        Wrong size for me, sadly...thanks for the offer!

Have it and love it. Just did an 1800 mile ride and it was awesome. Can get hot in temps above 80 degrees, even with the vents open. However, the heat is more bearable than skin graphs. Great pockets, especially the outer breast pocket. Phone fits nicely and is very accessible on stops.

Wow what a jacket.

The description says: "PTFE laminate incorporates revolutionary 37.5 advanced, micro-particle technology".

PTFE is Teflon and is essentially the same stuff W.L. Gore uses in their breathable fabrics; not sure how "revolutionary" it is but it's good stuff. I believe Firstgear is using ePTFE, where the "e" stands for "expanded". The PTFE material is expanded by stretching, at prescribed rates, to open the pores. The more you stretch, the bigger the pores get.

Labs use this stuff for sub-micron filtering. At these levels the pores are so small that the material is certified to block certain bacteria from passing, however with such small pores, the material doesn't breath well, by design. Auto makers are now using this stuff, stretched to a 1, 5, or 10 micron level to provide a breathable vent on headlight and foglight housings. These levels are small enough to keep out dust and dirt but big enough to allow a good rate of diffusion and convection for escaping water vapor.

Stretching this stuff up to 37.5 microns allows it to breath better but there's a line somewhere when the pore size will be big enough to let water molecules pass... at which point the material is no longer waterproof. If you get this, I'd love to hear how it does.

George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Originally posted by Pooch View Post
          Looks nice, one place has them for 349.00
          Where?

Originally posted by Bama Jack View Post

Ken, I own one but have only used it 1/2 a dozen times when it was really cold. As you say, it is a great jacket, but it's just too much of a jacket for my area. I now wear a much lighter jacket with a heated liner. My Kilimanjaro is High-Viz Yellow and Large in size. I would sale it for $150 bucks +shipping if you want it. Can send pictures if you like.

JJ
            PM Sent about jacket

Originally posted by Bama Jack View Post

JJ
              I sent you a PM on the jacket...waiting to buy!

Update: Finally purchased 2016 Kilimanjaro...early Christmas gift.
                Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Good looking jacket. I am an Olympia guy myself, but strongly considered a Kilimanjaro a few years back. This new one might be on my 2018 list.
                  GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                  Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Oh, this is nice...

Merry Christmas to me!

I bought mine earlier this year. A killer jacket in every regard! Highly recommended!

kwthom, I hope you get many mile of smiles riding with that jacket. I have worn out two and really like my third which is HyViz.
                        Harvey
                        Ride Safe and Ride Often

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page