What big road trip are you planning for 2016?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What big road trip are you planning for 2016?

We want to know your plans for your big road trip(s) in 2016. Now that Spring is upon is, it is time to get out the map, or GPS software, and begin planning your big ride!
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I am planning a trip from Wellington Fl to Magnolia De in July it's about a 1,100 mile trip one way. Plan on completing the IBA saddle sore 1000 mile run I have a brother up there going to spend some time with. Plan on heading up there non stop just for gas and small breaks when I need them. Can take my time on my return trip home. Looking forward to the trip
    2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

My wife and I are leaving New Jersey the last weekend in June on our Goldwings and we are headed for the Pacific Northwest. I have a friend that lives in the Columbia Gorge and is a motorcycle rider too. He plans day trips for us for each day. I went in 2011 and in 2013 and was getting ready to leave last Summer but I broke my leg and couldn't ride. But the trip will take place this year. We plan to be gone for a month. This will be my wife's first time in the PNW. I can't wait to show it to her.

• Rollin
        Rollin commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are going to make it as far north as Yakima or close, let me know and I'll treat you to lunch, coffee, etc.

• wingleader09
        wingleader09 commented
        Editing a comment
        I really appreciate the offer Rollin, but I doubt if I'll make it through Yakima on this trip. When I left to come back to Jersey from my 2013 trip I left the Columbia Gorge and went up through Yakima and then worked my way West through Mt. Rainier National Park on Stevens Canyon Road. That was beautiful! I then went North out of Olympia on US 101 up to Port Townsend. Then by ferry to Coupville and eventually to WA 20 (North Cascades Highway) to head East. This was one of the best month-long bike trips I have ever made. Washington and Oregon have some of the best motorcycle roads I have ever seen. If I could talk my wife into it, I'd move there. But, at least she is going with me this time.

​A friend has invited me to join him at an IBMC campout. Also going to the Dells Breakfast Ride.in, Darksider's Ride/in, SMRI, NAGF Blue Ridge M&G...
      That's off the top of my head.

The wife and I hope to attend a CBX rally in West Jefferson, NC in early June. This is the first time we can do this since she no longer works for the schools. Then in August we will be heading out to Ohio for a few days of riding in the Hocking Hills and through West VA going and coming. Plan to allow some extra days for riding in WV.
        Harvey
        Ride Safe and Ride Often

A week-plus trip to NY in the aluminum tube near the 4th of July timeframe makes long trips out - at least right now - in 2016.

Had a upcoming weekend getaway planned, but SWMBO is a bit incapacitated at the moment, so that's off the table.

SO - I guess those Saddlesore rides I have planned begin to be possible. :D

An in-state SS1000 looks like fun, and easily do-able...so options are being explored. There's only been a little over 100 that have done the AZ-1000, so add my name to that (short) list would be cool.

We've turned our Rolling Thunder ride into a full Memorial Day weekend ride, adding the Blue Ridge Parkway and down into Lake Lure before returning home. After the parade we'll ride over to Waynesboro, VA to stage for Monday's ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The next day we'll ride ~2/3 of the Blue Ridge Parkway, getting off just below Boone, NC for a country ride with us ending up at Lake Lure for a night. The last day we'll (sadly) ride back to the coast.

2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
            USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
            US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
            2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
            2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Well, starting next week, Rogers Ride In, then Wisconsin Dells Breakfast Ride In, then maybe Carlsbad Caverns and whatever else pops up may an Iron Butt or 2
              DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
              2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike BS Driveguard

• Pooch
                Pooch commented
                Editing a comment
                Rogers Ride In completed!!

Probably head west toward PNW...maybe into Canada on the way. 30% exchange rate is attractive. Mosey on down to NorCal. Avoid cities and crowded places. Hit a few of my favorite places and probably some new ones.

Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
                Probably head west toward PNW...maybe into Canada on the way. 30% exchange rate is attractive. Mosey on down to NorCal. Avoid cities and crowded places. Hit a few of my favorite places and probably some new ones.
                Sounds like a great time!
                2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders

Heading to NC and the dragon in May. I need to pick up all of the eastern seaboard states to complete my 49 states. If time and my knee allow I may also pick up the 8 eastern Provinces.

Have a few things on my 2016 Ride Schedule. Actually, already started with the ride to Orlando, FL (800 roundtrip) which was a good ride with excellent weather.

One of my favorites is the ride to Billings, MT. I just like that area.
                    Florida District Rally, Orlando, FL……..…400 miles
                    Alabama District Rally, Eufaula, AL……..…50 miles
                    Georgia District Rally Dalton, GA…..……200 miles
                    Tennessee District Rally Pigeon Forge, TN..350 miles
                    SC District Rally Anderson, SC……295 miles
                    Mississippi District Rally Gulfport, MS……..398 miles
                    S.E. Region ‘A’ Rally Eufaula, AL……….50 miles
                    Wing Ding 38 Billings, MT……….2100 miles
                    South Dakota Rally Wall, SD…………..1500 miles
                    Wings Over Smokies Cherokee, NC…….325 miles
                    Annual Mtn Ride Maggie Valley, NC..350 miles
                    Key West Key West, FL……..900 miles
                    St George Island Florida……………..275 miles
                    Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
                    My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
                    "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

Well .... Billings MT for WingDing. I've never been before and likely this will be a first and last. With a day trip or two in Billings, should be 2000 plus miles. I went to Reno last year for the 'Rendevouz' and enjoyed talking with vendors and meeting Wingers from all over.

Doing a "4 corners" ride with two other gold winging friends...taking 30 days so we can enjoy the sights this beautiful country has to offer.

Originally posted by silverwing2015 View Post
                          Doing a "4 corners" ride with two other gold winging friends...taking 30 days so we can enjoy the sights this beautiful country has to offer.
                          Have a great time! There may be a useful nugget or two in my US Four Corner Ride written up below. Let us know how it goes.

I've talked to friends about going down to Georgia or heading southwest and then to the Grand Canyon. All depends who can break free to go. If not, I will go it alone.
                            "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

We were planning on riding up to the Columbia River area in September but decided we do not have enough time away from work to make this a reasonable journey this year. Maybe next year.
                              Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Right now Imjust want to ride! 29 degrees this morning! Got a short ride on the Sportster when I reinstalled the batteries. Have had several warm days but have been loki g at boats, so the 'Wing sits- ready and waiting. Ellen is going on the Two Sisters' Centennial- Brooklyn NY/Springfield MA to San Francisco in July- other than that our only plan is Americade in June, but there will be more!

Planning on a trip West in September after Labor Day. Just going to point West and see where I end up. About 2-3 weeks. Maybe catch the Rockies Gold group in Montrose.

Fred
                                  Recently moved to TN my native state, Feels good to be back home.

I'm not circling any dates on my calendar for any trips this year because one way or another "chit" always seems to get in the way and I have to bow out. Being retired I can always throw some clothes into a saddlebag and take a spur of the moment trip. Tentative plan is to meet up with my riding buddies from UT and spend some time in Carlsbad NM to tour the caverns and some of the surrounding area and then in Sept. meet them in La Pine OR. for the Reuben Run.
                                    Location: Vancouver WA Former name: CAWING '04 GL1800
                                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                                    Jimi Hendrix
                                    Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page