Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical anomolies

When I got my bike back from the shop, there are some weird things happening with the turn signal lights

1. When I engage either the left or right turn signal, both lights on the dash flash, just like when the hazzard lights are engaged. Turn signals front and back work properly, however.

I have removed my Muth signal mirrors just to make sure nothing was re-connected improperly that might cause this, but the problem remains.

GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Sounds like a grounding issue. Check the electrical connectors under the seat for proper continuity, and any shorted/burned connections.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Apparently, it may have something to do with one of the switchback LED bulbs. When I replace them with OEM bulbs, everything flashes normally.

Check the bases of the LED switchbacks for signs of overheating and melting. That would indicate the bulb leads are not contacting their bases properly. I had the same problem with socalmotogear LED turn signals (front and rear) on my F6B. I contacted socal, and their workaround involved butchering up their LED's to make better contact with the bases. It's a known issue. I went back to stock incandescents.

Had that happen to my 08 a couple of months ago. I traced it back to the hazard lights switch. Cleaned it with cleaner and problem was solved
          Larry
          Red 2008 GL1800 (The Fastest Color)

When I put the OEM bulbs back in, everything worked normally. Hazzard lights work, dash lights (turn signal) work. Not sure how a bad LED bulb can cause these issues. Very strange. I hate electrical issues.

An LED isn't a bulb - it's a diode.

They can work normally, or in your case, NOT work normally. The failure analysis on *why* it fails can take a long time to get to a final answer.

OTOH, a bulb is a century-old piece of technology that's well understood. :D
              Ken (IBA #50030) & Grace (IBA #62768)Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                When I put the OEM bulbs back in, everything worked normally. Hazzard lights work, dash lights (turn signal) work. Not sure how a bad LED bulb can cause these issues. Very strange. I hate electrical issues.
                Did you happen to try putting the LED's back in one at a time?
                It is unlikely that both left and right LED's would be bad.

Also, Isn't there a diode in the hazard light circuit that can cause a similar problem. Although I would think if that were the issue it would react the same regardless of the type of bulb.

I had a problem with the dash turn indicators acting up on my 2008. My dash lights didn't blink together like hazards but rather stayed dimly lit all the time. I had switchbacks in the front (not SoCal) and Amber LED's (SoCal) in the rear turn signals. I replaced the rear LED's with Incandescent bulbs and the problem went away. Then I put in LED's (not SoCal) in the rear and everything worked normally. A couple days later the problem returned and I had to put incandescent bulbs back in the rear to solve it. Had nothing to do with the SoCal LED's but rather a grounding issue uncovered buy the lite draw of the LED's that goes away when an Incandescent bulb drawing more power is installed. Not my diagnosis but rather from someone who knows more about it that I do. Anyway I was given some advice on where to look for the grounding issue but haven not yet done so. Still have the incandescent bulbs in the rear, and the problem has not returned.
                  Last edited by PapasRide; 03-14-2016, 09:36 PM. Reason: Edit... Big Fat Fingers.

Originally posted by jmohme View Post

Did you happen to try putting the LED's back in one at a time?
                    It is unlikely that both left and right LED's would be bad.

Also, Isn't there a diode in the hazard light circuit that can cause a similar problem. Although I would think if that were the issue it would react the same regardless of the type of bulb.
                    I did. Everything worked until I put one of the LEDs back in. Apparently, there is one bad LED

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page