Looking for Canada ride suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Canada ride suggestions

I am considering riding the Wing to Canada next Spring/Summer. I have no idea what is the best place to ride in Canada. Should we go up to Vancourver? Just need some ideas. What are the best roads for scenery?
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
    I am considering riding the Wing to Canada next Spring/Summer. I have no idea what is the best place to ride in Canada. Should we go up to Vancourver? Just need some ideas. What are the best roads for scenery?
    My recommendation for scenery is the Ice Fields Parkway. That was some of the most beautiful scenery I have experienced!!
    Red 2014
    Pirelli P1 Runflat 195/55/16 38 PSI
    Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series 3 RunFlat 195/55/16 38 PSI
    Traxxion by Paul Bihm - Midwest Custom Cycle Works
    Darkside #623 - 240,000 Darkside miles and counting
    IBA # 42128

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I made that trip in June-July of 2013. I rode from Crosby County, TX out to Las Vegas then north to Reno and turned west over to northern CA and joined I-5. Followed I-5 to north of Seattle then entered Canada at Chilliwack, BC. I went to Chilliwack because I have a friend who lives there. Otherwise I would definitely recommend going to Vancouver. I've been to Vancouver several times so skipped it.

I followed Canada's Interstate Highway 1 and then whatever it became farther east all the way to Halifax, Nova Scotia. When I left NS I crossed back into the US at Calais,ME, south through New England down the eastern seaboard to Virginia Beach, VA then turned west back to home. If memory serves I rode 9,298 miles and spent 30 days on the road.

Heavy rains combined with heavy snow melt run off in the Canadian Rockies washed out a section of highway my second day on the road in Canada closing the highway and forcing me into Canmore, AB, Canada. I found a room in local hotel and spent three nights until the highway reopened. Massive flooding caused hundreds of millions in damage in that area.

Other than the road wash out and delay I saw a lot of nice scenery and never had a single problem of any kind. It was a great trip and one I recommend to anyone.
      Harvey Barlow
      Crosby County, TX
      2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
      2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post

I followed Canada's Interstate Highway 1 and then whatever it became farther east all the way to Halifax, Nova Scotia.
        I had to laugh when I read your description of the Trans Canada Highway.
        It is the furthest thing from your typical interstates.
        Expect some four lane divided sections in most of Alberta and Manitoba, but most of it through Ontario's Canadian Shield and Saskatchewan is two lane highway clogged with tractor trailers year round and the RV's and campers in the summer. Then it's all four lane through the heavily populated areas of southern Ontario and Quebec.
        That being said, you can't go wrong with anything though the mountains of British Columbia and western Alberta. The Prairies will be boring (just like the plains of Texas) any way you cut it. Ontario has the Canadian Shield's hilly rock outcrops until you reach Lake Ontario. Quebec and the maritime provinces are beautiful.
        One good thing is our dollar. Your greenback will buy you $1.40 Cdn. Good deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Canada_Highway

Originally posted by bigbird View Post

I had to laugh when I read your description of the Trans Canada Highway.
          It is the furthest thing from your typical interstates.
          Expect some four lane divided sections in most of Alberta and Manitoba, but most of it through Ontario's Canadian Shield and Saskatchewan is two lane highway clogged with tractor trailers year round and the RV's and campers in the summer. Then it's all four lane through the heavily populated areas of southern Ontario and Quebec.
          That being said, you can't go wrong with anything though the mountains of British Columbia and western Alberta. The Prairies will be boring (just like the plains of Texas) any way you cut it. Ontario has the Canadian Shield's hilly rock outcrops until you reach Lake Ontario. Quebec and the maritime provinces are beautiful.
          One good thing is our dollar. Your greenback will buy you $1.40 Cdn. Good deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Canada_Highway
          I was trying to be polite by not mentioning the primitive nature of your trans-Canada highway system. No, it is not like the US system of interstate highways but it's the best trans-Canada route you have to offer.
          Harvey Barlow
          Crosby County, TX

The highway Banff AB north to Jasper is one of the most visually stunning you'll find.

Yep, Baniff to Jasper, by far the best road in all of Canada. Fantastic scenery, and incredible wildlife.

Was on SCMA's "3 flags" last year...Kamloops (BC) west to 99 south ( thru Whistler) to Vancouver...went back up to Whistler after the tour was over and stayed a few days....they run the ski lifts year round ( Mountain biking in the warmer months)...had a great time and some great scenery....if you're adventuresome, take the ferry over to Victoria Island and explore the Island, loading and unloading the bike is a hoot! ( you get to load first and unload first!)

Washington Highway 20 through the North Cascades National Park should be on everyone's bucket list. I have ridden into Canada for years. Draw a line from Lethbridge AB to Hinton AB then west. Stay west and south of the line and most roads will be scenic. Definitely Takakkaw Falls.

2005 Silver Bullet

Originally posted by Winger63 View Post
                    Washington Highway 20 through the North Cascades National Park should be on everyone's bucket list. I have ridden into Canada for years. Draw a line from Lethbridge AB to Hinton AB then west. Stay west and south of the line and most roads will be scenic. Definitely Takakkaw Falls.
                    I agree. That's a nice ride through many small towns and beautiful scenery. I traveled that route many times while delivering new travel trailers in Canada ten years ago.
                    Harvey Barlow
                    Crosby County, TX

Just found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euie...ature=youtu.be

2005 Silver Bullet

Winger63, nice video thanks for sharing.
                        When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
                        Jimi Hendrix
                        Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page