Have You Considered Purchase Of A SPOT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Garmin Zumo 595 has a feature called Live Track that does the tracking so that contacts can view a web page and see where you are at all times. Pretty cool feature.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | DVDs at WingStuff | DVDs at SoCalMotoGear | DVDs at Cyclemax | Videos On Demand

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by jmohme View Post

You do know that Harvey's last post was about a year and a half ago, right?
      Jerry- I was getting in on the Digging up old thread band wagon around here lately. :=)
      You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

Originally posted by jmohme View Post

You do know that Harvey's last post was about a year and a half ago, right?
        I "SPOT"ed that right off!

• Rocky
          Rocky commented
          Editing a comment
          Shhhh. Let Jerry have some fun- He doesn't have much.

I had one and it worked fine, but I got the last invoice saying what the rates were and mine went up nearly double. A call to them was smooth enough and they offered me back the old rate, but this meant calling every year or the rate would revert to full price. I elected to cancel. The cancelation went without a hitch thankfully.
        For anyone interested, you must give them your credit card info and they charge the card every year until you cancel, and cancel is only by phone. You have an account and can see billing details on the internet, but can't cancel via internet. Also you can add features such as the roadside service, auto tracking ect via internet, but can't cancel features except using the phone.
        No huge deal, any of this, but not real user friendly in the way they work billing. It's upwards of $200 a year now, and with added options can be $300.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          Optionally, procure a throw-away Visa card, load it up with the amount needed - then conduct the transaction via telephone.

Yes, they'll try to hit that card a second time....but there's no funds on it.

Awwww. The same drill applies to those that have Sirius/XM radio. If I was to ever fire it up again, that's how I'd do it.

Along with a totally separate email account.

• biglefti
          biglefti commented
          Editing a comment
          Ken, I tried that once and they won't sign you up if you are using one of those types of VISA's. Evidently they aren't the same.

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          You can have them invoice you & send a cashier's check...bit of a pain in the ass, but so are their business practices.

If the majority of your travels are away from places with cell phone service, then a SPOT or a Garmin inReach is worth the effort to get and maintain.

My cell phone has managed to do the job reasonably well since 2011.

I have a Spot 2, I think it is. I used it for one of my Alaska trips and retired it before I got there. For me, it's just another hassle to mess with on the bike. Sometimes, less is better.

What did we ever do when we all started riding. No Pagers/No walkie talkies/ no cell phones/no spot device.

Makes ya wonder how we ever got anywhere, without people knowing exactly where we decide to go.

Does anyone remember what a pay phone was??
            You may not like the truth but that don't change it!

• biglefti
              biglefti commented
              Editing a comment
              No Fi, points and condensor, flooded engines, kick start. Personally, I don't want to go back.
          Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page