New Rider

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rider

I'm a old dog looking for excitement. I've been in several forums and on youtube regarding first time riders. Concensus is that a Goldwing is not what you want to start riding on - way to big and heavy. But I'm a big guy whose fit and works out. A Goldwing may be too big for a beginner, but how about a Goldwing tryke? I would assume they're more stable and as much fun to ride as a two wheeler.

Welcome to the forum bigdog. I don't own a trike so I can't give an honest opinion other than you are correct as to their stability. Pretty hard to fall down when you stop at a red light. As for a trike being as much fun as a 2 wheeler I'll let the trike owners chime in on that.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Bigdog418,

I would not recommend a Gold Wing as a starter bike either. I would recommend that you take a basic riders course before getting any form of motorcycle. This does two things, first you learn how to ride correctly and safely. This is important even if you used to ride 20 years ago and are getting back into the sport. Second, if you enjoy the course and riding then further pursuit is a great idea. However if after the course you did not have fun, did not enjoy yourself then perhaps you should not invest the price of a motorcycle, Right along these lines, starting with a good condition used smaller bike allows you to develop riding skills with minimal investment. Just because you are big and strong enough to handle, pick up a Wing, does not mean you can safely ride one. Remember that a new Wing can top out at $30,000 plus the appropriate boots and other clothing not to mention the many things you can add to that Wing for function as well as appearance. Motorcycling is not cheap, and although you do get better gas mileage, I wonder if you really save money commuting to work, But you do get to enjoy the ride.

Riding a trike is different from a motorcycle as far more effort is involved in steering a trike and they don't lean in curves. No question a trike is more stable but it is different vehicle altogether as far as handling.

If you really want excitement take up skydiving! Motorcycling is great but with today's traffic one must always be alert and watchful. Yes, I love to ride and I accept the dangers, actually I love the feeling of freedom I have when I ride. I started riding back in '66 and got hooked on that feeling of freedom and still enjoy it.
      Harvey
      Ride Safe and Ride Often

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it. I bought a new Honda CB450 in 1973 and rode it for a few months. Didn't like it and traded it for a VW dune buggy. I bought a new Yamaha XS1100 Special from the Navy Exchange retail store at Subic Bay Philippines in late 1979 and rode all over Luzon Island for a year and 10,000 miles. Sold it late in 1980.

Never sat on a motorcycle seat again until summer of 2010, 30 years later. I bought myself a very clean low mileage Honda ST1300 - a very fast sport touring machine - for my 68th birthday. Bought it in Austin, TX, got on it and rode it 400 miles home and survived it.

A few months later I took a test ride on a Goldwing and was hooked. I traded the ST for a new Goldwing.

Texas law required me to take the MSF course in order to earn the motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license. 120,000 miles later I'm on my second new Goldwing having toured all 48 contiguous states and the southern tier of Canadian provinces, earned membership in the Iron Butt Association with a Saddle Sore 1000, and had a hell of a lot of fun. I'm genuinely addicted to motorcycle touring and recommend it to anyone..

I agree with the advice offered above that you would be wise to invest in a used small to mid displacement cruiser or standard motorcycle and develop your riding skills then sell it and move up to a Goldwing. A few months on a small bike could save your life.

You might survive learning on a Goldwing if you are extremely careful but it is a very fast and capable motorcycle that could get you killed before your skills develop.

Welcome to the group here. Stay in touch and don't hesitate to discuss your thoughts and plans or ask questions. We'll help if we can.
        Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX
        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

I was over 50 when I began riding a motorcycle. Started out with a Honda CB650. It was extremely uncomfortable to ride, but it was a good bike to develop riding schools. Within a short time I graduated to a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. It was a bit more comfortable and very easy to ride. I still wanted something more comfortable and found a used GL1500 in good shape. I must have dropped it at least a half dozen times. A couple of years ago I upgraded to an 1800 primarily to get ABS brakes. I haven't dropped it yet, but came close a couple of times. I have no regrets for starting out with a smaller bike.

New rider... as in NEVER ridden a motorcycle?

The weight of the bike is obviously a difficulty... but not impossible to adapt to especially for a big guy. The wheelbase is also something to get used to; it takes a lot of real estate to turn the bike both at high and low speeds.

Otherwise the GL1800 platform is very rider friendly, even to inexperienced riders, but I have to agree it would be a bear of a first bike.. A trike oughtta be a blast and will definitely get you in the wind. Maybe consider the F6B also; it's a bit lighter and may be a bit easier to handle.

George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

I agree with all the above i rode in my younger years in the 70s gave it up for the better part of 25 years, at the age of 50 got back on a Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe after taking a state required MFS course. I did learn a lot from the course i recommend it to all the new and rusty riders. 60,000 miles later stopped in a Honda Dealership just looking my wife just loved the Yellow Wing took it for a test ride traded in my old bike for the wing its been nothing but great never looked back. Plus if you plan on two up riding the Goldwing is a great Motorcycle. There are some really nice motorcycles to choose from these days start out small even a good used bike then up grade. Enjoy
              2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

If we're talking passenger comfort, nothing beats a Wing... or even comes close.
                George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

My wife started out on a Honda Shadow, and was involved in an accident when a driver decided he wanted to be in her lane. She had been riding the bike for less than a year. After she healed up, she started talking about getting another bike. She was looking into Burgmans and Silverwings, but we had a riding buddy who had a used 2006 GL1800 for sale. She kept saying how the bike would be too big for her. I kept telling her that the bike was not too big, and offered to let her ride mine to see how she felt. She has taken a couple of MSF courses, one of them to get her initial license, and another advanced riding course on the GoldWing. She thanks me for convincing her that she should get the Goldwing. I might not suggest going directly to a Goldwing, but you don't have to have years of riding experience to ride a Goldwing well. Other than the bike being a bit heavier, and more powerful than many others, it is a very nimble bike, especially considering it's size. If you decide to get a Goldwing initially, I'd strongly suggest you do a lot of parking lot practice, and learn how to lift the bike safely if it falls over.
                  Costa Mesa, CA
                  2012 RED GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page