Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut in tire

Got up this morning to find my rear tire (new Stone with less than 1000 miles) completely flat. Aired it up and got the bike on the center stand. Looking for a nail, but none to be found. Sprayed the tire with soapy water and it took about 15 minutes, but I finally found the culprit, what appears to be a large razor thin cut on the outside edge of the tire. I don't recall running over anything that would cut that deep into the tread of a brand new tire. Have you ever seen anything like this?

I was wondering, since this is such a "perfect" straight line, could this be a defect in the tire?

Click image for larger version

Name:	CutTire - 1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	64170
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Thats what it looks like to me a defect, if you ran over something you would have felt it for sure. Plus its a straight fine cut going to the middle of the tire i would be contacting my vendor. looks more like tire separation.
    2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I have contacted Direct Line Parts and Bridgestone. I just hope it is safe enough to ride to the dealer to get it changed
      Last edited by Cruiseman; 10-28-2015, 01:32 PM.

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
        I have contacted Wingstuff and Bridgestone. I just hope it is safe enough to ride to the dealer to get it changed
        Chris your safety is paramount. How far away is your dealer? Can you take secondary roads to get there?

Do Not Ride the bike with this tire on it unless you have no other choice?

What you are seeing with this tire is the Rubber belt joining line. I have seen a ton of Metzlers that look like this and not leak, But your 704 is obviously leaking through the inner carcus.

I'm sure Bridgestone will want to know Where the tire was built and why it did this.

BTW. what are the odds of you running over something that straight across from the sidewall. 900 million to 1. lol

Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
        "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
        Current bikes.
        1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
        1986 GL1200 SEi
        2004 GL1800

Is it at all possible someone may have cut it with a blade? Did you have it parked anywhere out of your sight? People have been known to do some crappy things.
          Dave - High up in Arizona - 2012/GL1800

What are the scuff marks on each side of the cut?
            Harvey Barlow
            Crosby County, TX
            2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
            2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

I suspect Bridgestone will want to see that tire. Until you are sure they don't want it, don't let the dealer throw it away even if you have to keep it. Sure looks like a defect, but they will know.
              Harvey
              Ride Safe and Ride Often

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
                What are the scuff marks on each side of the cut?
                That is just some moisture from the soapy water I sprayed on it.

Where tou parked at home or did this occur on a trip (meaning) was it parked in a lot -looks like a Razor Kife Slice too me?
                  Whoever said money can’t buy happiness, never paid for a divorce

IBA # 40576

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

Chris your safety is paramount. How far away is your dealer? Can you take secondary roads to get there?

Do Not Ride the bike with this tire on it unless you have no other choice?

What you are seeing with this tire is the Rubber belt joining line. I have seen a ton of Metzlers that look like this and not leak, But your 704 is obviously leaking through the inner carcus.

I'm sure Bridgestone will want to know Where the tire was built and why it did this.

BTW. what are the odds of you running over something that straight across from the sidewall. 900 million to 1. lol
                    I am about 45 minutes from the dealer, on back roads (probably 20 miles). I have TPMS from Doran, so as long as it does not spontaneously fly apart, I might be able to make it to the dealer to get it replaced/removed.

I aired it up this morning and it is holding air pretty good on the center stand. I will put the bike on the sidestand and see how long it takes to deflate. I got an email from Dan at DirectLine Parts and he said he would ship me a replacement tomorrow and send the old one back to Bridgestone as defective. Also, I did get an email back from Bridgestone, which is pretty good service. They recommended I take it to a Firestone service center for inspection. I just emailed them back a photo of the tire.

Originally posted by Westdc View Post
                      Where tou parked at home or did this occur on a trip (meaning) was it parked in a lot -looks like a Razor Kife Slice too me?
                      I am not sure you could get a razor to slice that perfectly horizontal.

To this non-tire professional it looks like a carcass failure to me. If a vandal was going to slice a tire it would not run perpendicular to tire rotation across the sidewall like the photo shows.

Did you check the date of manufacture? Could it possibly be an old tire from inventory?
                        Harvey Barlow
                        Crosby County, TX
                        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
                        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Or possibly a new guy at Direct Line cutting the paper wrap off the tire when it arrived, actually witnessed that happen at a Honda shop from a new hire that was suppost to be putting tires on the rack / he decided to razor cut the paper off the tires and then use tape to put the label back on...... scared me so bad I asked for the owner and there where a few sliced.... the new guy left shortly thereafter...
                          Retired, Lifetime NRA, IBA #5831, AMA Lifer, HOG Lifer, Gypsy Tour Rider

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Forgive my limited understanding but I believe the tread is wrapped around the carcass and joined at a seam and then vulcanized to bond the tread and eliminate the seam. If any one of several parameters is not *just right* in the vulcanization process, the bonding will not be to spec. Improper heat, improper chemical mixture, improper time in the heat, maybe even improper ramp up or ramp down of the heat. My guess is you got a Friday or Monday tire :-)

Good thing that storm cut your trip short.

Originally posted by Rocky View Post

What you are seeing with this tire is the Rubber belt joining line.

^^^ +1 IMO

George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post

I am about 45 minutes from the dealer, on back roads (probably 20 miles). I have TPMS from Doran, so as long as it does not spontaneously fly apart, I might be able to make it to the dealer to get it replaced/removed.

I aired it up this morning and it is holding air pretty good on the center stand. I will put the bike on the sidestand and see how long it takes to deflate. I got an email from Dan at DirectLine Parts and he said he would ship me a replacement tomorrow and send the old one back to Bridgestone as defective. Also, I did get an email back from Bridgestone, which is pretty good service. They recommended I take it to a Firestone service center for inspection. I just emailed them back a photo of the tire.

Chris. I'd take the back roads to the dealer if I were you. That way if something happens (I doubt it based on your quoted post above), all you have to do is roll to a stop. instead of trying to get off a slab.

Good on HDL to send out a replacement. I'm sure they have seen a defective tire before.

As I suspected, Bridgestone wants to see the tire.
                              Saying to take it to a Firestone store is just a standard CYA policy to have it inspected.

************************************************** *******
                              Maker of the 01-17 GL1800
                              "Rocky Tree & Comfort Risers".
                              Current bikes.
                              1981 CB900C 10 speed (Restored)
                              1986 GL1200 SEi
                              2004 GL1800

Originally posted by Solidbob View Post
                                Or possibly a new guy at Direct Line cutting the paper wrap off the tire when it arrived, actually witnessed that happen at a Honda shop from a new hire that was suppost to be putting tires on the rack / he decided to razor cut the paper off the tires and then use tape to put the label back on...... scared me so bad I asked for the owner and there where a few sliced.... the new guy left shortly thereafter...
                                Still, it would have to be a perfectly horizontal slice, AND, it would take a pretty good amount of pressure to go all the way through the tread and the belt.

If me I would pull that off the bike and take the cage.

I have o agree with Sorecere.
                                    You could probably ride it in to the dealer and not have a problem, but why take the chance?

Chris, I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to use your bit of bad luck to drive home a point that I've made on more than a few occasions.
                                    I jumped on the TPMS bandwagon in 2004 and will not own another bike without it, but have never considered it a replacement for a gauge and a pair of eyes.
                                    before I ever roll the bike out of the garage, I am on the ground with a gauge an a light. Until that is done, I couldn't care less what the TPMS display shows.

Here is my thinking, When I found the cut it was just barely seeping air, and I mean barely. I have had the bike on the center stand for over 30 hours and it is holding 41 psi. I think that when I parked the bike the other night (before it went flat), I must have parked it where the seam was under pressure and being pulled apart by the weight of the bike and this causes the air to leak more rapidly. That is my uneducated guess.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page