X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First impressions of my GL1800,,,its good to be back

Hi

Got into New York from the UK, wow what a busy city. Saw the amazing lights of Time Square and then we walked down to Ground Zero to pay our respects. Caught the Amtrak train to Johnstown PA. The scenery was breath taking. Arrive and went on to Windber where Tim Tokarsky of Windber Can Am met us with a warm smile welcome and took us to the waiting GL 1800, 2012, finely sculptured symphonic engineering at its best - a Honda legend.

The bike looked so much better in the flesh and it has been a few years since I sold my GL1100 that I'd had for 19 years. The smoothness of the 2012 engine was the first thing I noticed. Smooth but still maintaining a deep rumble that gave a hint of a powerful smooth accelerating faithful friend. My wife and I ventured out onto the rolling mountains to Somerset Boss Hoss, a pilgrimage for me as I have owned many V8 BH's then onto the Flight 92 Memorial, It's still beyond me how a human being can cause so much devastation to another human under the banner of religion.

The Goldwing was silky smooth around the bends, inclines and declines. I found winding open the throttle in top gear was rewarded with a powerful acceleration from low speed right up to a healthy cruising speed. One thing that surprised me - fully laden and carrying a pillion I felt little of not no difference at all. The air suspension and the balance of my Goldwing is quite incredible. There was no feeling of having to drag the Goldwing around corners as was very familiar with my old, very loved GL1100 1982. Exploring all the controls I felt like a child finding pleasure on every new revelation - the sound system, doesn't that work superbly well even at cruising speed. The air vent in the windshield during the 90 degree riding heat we have just experienced is a marvelous after thought. I flicked it open and directed a slightly cooling breeze either to my face or chest. The storage is so deceiving, I managed to pack all my stuff and my wife's endless necessities that apparently we can't live without. All snuggly gently squeezed all the storage space that was offered.

We have done 400 miles now, up from Johnstown on the 160 South, 30 East, 26 North to Huntingdon and we are now in Bloomsburg. So far the countryside has been a gift from God for sure. Tim Tokarsky, the Can Am dealer in Windber gave us this route, convinced us Brits who are used to a small foggy rock called home would thoroughly enjoy it ,and he was right.

So far I have found the Navi to be quite amazing. I entered a phone number and it directed me 30 miles to the precise location. I wondered how I would get along with the new Honda technology. Unlike my grown up children who seem to have some digital telepathic wire free hands free do anything you tell it modern satellite linked device that to me may as well be black magic that is controlled by some higher intelligence that I just wasn't born with. But so far all the technology on the Goldwing has been very user friendly and forgiving with that wonderful "back" button that enables me to backtrack and start again.

It's too early for me to tell the mpg but it's already feeling very favourable. I am next heading onto M.I to start Route 66, hopefully by then I'll be able to upload the odd photograph if anyone is interested along with an update of the journey so far. But for an English 50 year old couple on one of the first trips to the USA on a bike it's been fantastic so far.The American Hospitality has been incredible

Ride safe.

John and Laura

Super! I hope the remainder of your trip is as good as it has been thus far. Welcome and continue to enjoy.
    Richard
    Darksider #390
    Murgie's FAQ

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Keep posting!

Welcome Ventury and welcome to your wife also to the United States and to the GL1800 Forum. Your enthusiasm for the natural and man-made scenery of our country and for the Goldwing is remarkable. I understand now how you had additional information about the Brough Supreme.

If you have sufficient time and care to make it down to unexciting west Texas near Lubbock you will be welcome in my home. Just message me through the website to let me know.

I visited your country many years ago when I was a young submarine sailor back in the middle '60s. The boat I was on, USS Halfbeak SS-352, made a port call in Portsmouth England during a long cruise. We tied up outboard of one or more British submarines for several days. I was amazed at the hospitality we enjoyed. Half a dozen or more British submarine sailors, our counterparts, literally stayed with us for several days hosting our visit, drinking and partying with us, and providing helpful information about places to go and things to see and do. I have many fond memories.

I took the standard tourist guided tour and saw all the major tourist spots including the changing of the guard, Big Ben, London Bridge, and more. My wife was in England as a tourist two years ago and visited all the same spots minus the bridge as I recall because it's in Arizona now.

We also have Brit friends we met in Lubbock, TX probably twenty years ago. They were part of a group who came over to attend a Buddy Holly birthday celebration. They are huge fans of Buddy Holly and the rock and roll music of that era. We hosted their visit and still receive cards from them. They are fun people who we really enjoyed.

Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX
        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

John, I just finished reading your first impression of your new GW and I'm glad that it's living up to your expectations along with the countryside that you have ridden in. Enjoy your time in the US and may all your trips be safe and memorable. Please keep us posted on your travels.
          When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
          Jimi Hendrix
          Vietnam Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider

Thanks for your update sounds like you guys are having a great time with your new toy be safe in your travels and keep us posted .
            2010 Pearl Yellow L3, Double Darksider #856, Ultimate Midrider Seat w Yellow inlays, F4+4 Tinted, Live To Ride, Love my Wing

Nice to hear someone that's happy about their bike. Well written too.
              2013 Black F6B

Welcome to the Colonies John! I hope the rest of your stateside adventure is as nice for you and Laura as your initial impressions were. Be safe and have a ton of fun!!

Many thanks gentlemen for the warm welcome and kind words.I appreciate the welcome.Laura and I are a long way from Home,in a land that has many different laws,customs and protocols.One being Lane splitting
                  We are used to meandering down the outside of slow or stationary traffic,getting to the front at stop lights or slow moving traffic congestion...this is not illegal at home but am i correct in assuming the USA does not allow this, I have stayed put in line ,but wondered if it was ok......

Your speed limits,whenever we conform to the stated speed limit,we are the slowest on the road/freeway always over taken,so i do and like to match the general flow,,,I hope that will be acceptable to the state trooper who pulls me as some times the traffic speed is way way over the stated limit,,,NO complaints from me though
                  I love the fact you permit a sensible right turn at some red stop lights,good idea and logical.I must remember never to do it in the UK though,,,,thats a guaranteed heavy fine and a ticking off from the police

We have finally reached Ann Arbor,the roads had very little congestion so cruising was a pleasure,.The smoothness of the 6cyl enabled me to listen to the radio with ease and clarity,so much so i station hoped and found an American political debate.Excuse my ignorance but i thought Donald Trump was a Business guy,but often a new broom sweeps clean.Anyone who tries to manage a country the size of the USA with the sheer scale of complexities deserves a medal Apologies though i should keep my nose out of your politics,it does appear politicians are the very same the worldly over

We rode back through the rolling vallies of steep lush forestry in 99 degree heat,for us that is so hot,passing Toledo, Cleveland,and signes for Detroit All city names i have heard during my youth,its good to be here
                  I am surprised how well the Honda maintains a low running temperature,even when i rode hard on the throttle,pillion and fully packed with luggage,we are also surprised how much we can squeeze in the side panniers/top box.As said the radio sound is clear,audible,and comfortable on the ear at high cruise speeds.I have yet to plug in my Ipod
                  We plan on resting up here in Ann Arbor for a few days then i want to start the "Route 66" Laura may fly home as expected from Detroit for a few weeks.This trip is going to fall into place as we or i go.At one point Laura will get back out to meet me,i have a BMW K1600GT that is a nice ride but bows to the Gold wing on many points
                  My BMW has so many complexities to vary the ride comfort,camber,suspension recoil etc etc,equating in "to much choice"
                  getting work or servicing done,unlike a Goldwing that will have an abled spanner tech capable of performing most servicing/work.Honda spares are plenty
                  The BMW has to have a specially trained BMW spanner tech,,you wont find them in every town.My feelings are Honda has the mind set of "if it aint broke,dont mend it".I welcome that,as we live in a world of "the latest app/option we cant live with out"mentality

Thanks again for the warmth shown to a visitor to your wonderful country
                  kind regards to you all
                  ride safe
                  John and Laura

Originally posted by Ventury View Post
                    Many thanks gentlemen for the warm welcome and kind words.I appreciate the welcome.Laura and I are a long way from Home,in a land that has many different laws,customs and protocols.One being Lane splitting
                    We are used to meandering down the outside of slow or stationary traffic,getting to the front at stop lights or slow moving traffic congestion...this is not illegal at home but am i correct in assuming the USA does not allow this, I have stayed put in line ,but wondered if it was ok......

Your speed limits,whenever we conform to the stated speed limit,we are the slowest on the road/freeway allways over taken,so i do and like to match the general flow,,,I hope that will be acceptable to the state trooper who pulls me as some times the traffic speed is way way over the stated limit,,,NO complaints from me though
                    I love the fact you permit a sensible right turn at some red stop lights,good idea and logical.I must remember never to do it in the UK though,,,,thats a guarranteed heavy fine and a ticking off from the police

ride safe
                    John and Laura
                    Hey John, come on out to California and you can split as many lanes as you want, it is allowed and almost officially legal. Right turns on red are the only way to help keep traffic flowing in my opinion and I am amazed it is not allowed where you live. Enjoy your ride and the visit.
                    Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Originally posted by Ventury View Post
                      I love the fact you permit a sensible right turn at some red stop lights,good idea and logical.I must remember never to do it in the UK though,,,,thats a guarranteed heavy fine and a ticking off from the police

John and Laura
                      I can understand why it would be a heavy fine. That's kinda like us making a left turn on red here (after all, you Brits drive on the wrong side of the road, not the right).

Seriously, I'm glad that you're having a blast! Enjoy the rest of your time here in the colonies (oops, I mean states!).
                      White '08 Navi
                      SW OH

John-Laura, another hearty welcome to our great Country....I did spend a few years driving "on the wrong side of the road" in your beautiful country back in the 80s..at a little place called Upper Heyford (RAF)....really beautiful country..Warwick Castle, Oxford, Stratford on Avon...Robin Hood's neighborhood...to name a few.

If you make it to central Kentucky give me a yell on email....bearcreekman@gmail.com...and we'll get together.

Safe Travels

John,
                          Sorry we won't be riding together to Utah, but I will be in Ann Arbor on Sunday afternoon sometime and would love to meet up for a handshake / Rte. I will be pulling out early Monday morning heading west. I'll be using SLC as a home base, for at least a week, lets try and do a day ride out there! Great write up, please continue to keep is updated here. You are on a trip most of us can only dream of! Be safe and HAVE A BLAST!!
                          P.S. Don't get all stung up and swollen showing off your bee handling skills! LOL

Welcome to U.S of A. Formally stationed at RAF Bentwaters and Woodbridge, lived in Felixstowe.

Although I never ridden a bike there but, I had my Trans-Am to cruise the highways.

Here in U. S, most States don't allow lane splitting and speed limits are normally +10MPH before troopers start to bother anyone on the freeway.

That being said, avoid Arizona, at least in the valley areas, this time of the year! Just today, it's baking 110 degrees and no matter how fast you go, it's still 110 degrees! YIKES!

If you must, stay up North route to stay comfortably cruising @80 degrees.

Welcome and enjoy the scenery elsewhere.

530ktm
                              .Thanks cal is the place i hope to end this year in,we are looking forward to it
                              Taddpole
                              Thanks for the welcome,roundabouts here are fun,so far no problems but it feels "exciting"when i enter and rotate in the total opposite direction we are used to
                              mailman01
                              Thank you for the warm welcome,we appreciate it.Iam pleased you saw some of the good parts of the UK,Warwick Castle, Oxford, Stratford on Avon.Kentucky and the south in general is on the planned route,Sorry to repeat myself but all these place names ,Memphis, Tennessee,alabama are names i heard growing up so we will love to see them for real,in the flesh
                              CAC
                              ,,Clair,good talking with you,I have your number so if laura and i can hook up we would love to ride out for a day.My son only has a week with us ,i think i will try and show him the rockies,he wants to scuba dive.I have hired a convertible Mustang so he will experience the American freeway in American style.He is a shy quiet guy but i think he will love it.A young American lady wants to take him diving,she sounds like a very nice lady ,,,i havent told him yet but he will enjoy the company .Sunday iam being taken to the famous Ford museum,i am very much looking forward to it,,,,hope to hook up in SLC
                              ride safe ,,,any problems and i can help call,as i will be a few days behind you

I rode past a car dealers lot,they had a car show there.I got to see some of the cars i have only ever seen on T,V.i spent 6hrs there talking with car owners,state tropers,and the local Harley guys,,the warm welcome was appreciated

I set back of on the USA freeways Tuesday and i cant wait,Nebraska,colorado and salt lake city
                              ride safe gentleman (and ladies)

John and Laura

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page