Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auxiliary Fuel Tank

I didn't happen to find much in a search; guessing there's some experience here though and would love to hear your thoughts and experiences... good or bad.

I'm considering using a marine grade fuel tank mounted on the rear rack and gravity feed fuel into the OEM tank.

Anybody got pics and a parts list of how they tapped into the OEM tank?

Any suggestions on which fittings to use and leak-free installation tips?

What thread sealer is used for fuel fittings?

Thanks in advance.
    George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Sounds like you're getting ready for a trans Atlantic crossing

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Haha... indeed. I'm hoping to get a serious ride in before the snow and ice.

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
        I didn't happen to find much in a search; guessing there's some experience here though and would love to hear your thoughts and experiences... good or bad.

I'm considering using a marine grade fuel tank mounted on the rear rack and gravity feed fuel into the OEM tank.

Thanks in advance.
        Have you researched the tank that was made for the rear seat? That was gravity fed and I believe there were photos posted years ago of fittings, hookup. Don't know if the guy who made them is still around for his input.

http://www.dalecroy.com/fuelcell/auxiliary.html Check out the photos for the fittings.
        "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Hmmm; thanks LR I really like that. Perfect size, looks well designed, flat on top so you can pack a bag on top of it.

I followed the link to QuickDraw's website and saw the price though. Ouch! The grab rails on my F6B are different too so it wouldn't be a direct bolt on for me. I see that these guys are generous enough to share a plumbing parts list... nice! I think I'll follow their lead as far as plumbing goes, but I'd have to think hard about that tank, as nice as it seems.

I have used a LOT of aux. fuel tanks and cells over the last 45 years of riding, and 31 years as an IronButt member. Had them on most brands of bikes I have owned.

But let's get to the point you are looking to address: For YOUR application, this is most likely the best bet:

http://www.dayledesigns.com/qt/index.htm

This guy is 10 miles from my house...been there several times.....makes excellent items for Wings and other bikes, and also makes and sells the WindBender windshields.

These fuel tanks are not cheap...or inexpensive (there is a difference). They are accepted by the IronButt Association as approved tanks, and secure firmly to the bike.

​Whether Dayle has a set-up that will easily attach to your F6B is a question on he can answer. Thery are designed to sit on the passenger seat of a Wing, and secure to the passenger grab handles.

99% of us tap into the top plate of the fuel tank sending unit, under the seat (same on F6B or Wing), and flow our aux. fuel into there. Dayle will have all fitting and hoses you need for this.

Oh, and he CAN make a custom shaped and sized tank if you want.

Thanks MMR. We must have posted at the same time; that's the tank I just commented on. I was wondering if he could alter the attachment points to mount on an F6B... but I think that would elevate the cost even further out of my budget.

I'm kinda leaning towards a 9 gallon "plastic" marine tank from Moeller for under $200. Should be fine, no?

Assuming it'll weigh about 60 lbs filled with gas, will the rear rack handle that?

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ls.cgi?i=98658

Depends on what states you ride through, check the legality of carrying fuel unprotected in a plastic tank.

also make sure the weight is over and slightly forward of the rear axle...
                2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
                My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

• srt8-in-largo
                  srt8-in-largo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well... the tank needs to go on the rear rack, which is slightly behind the rear axle. Since this is the case, it might behoove me to keep the tank size on the smaller size (less than 5 gallons or so).

You might also check this site: http://www.coyote-gear.com/tanks.html
                Not only do they have several tanks they have all kinds of fittings and fuel lines for the installation. This is not as cheap as a plastic can on the back but a lot safer.
                Harvey
                Ride Safe and Ride Often

Originally posted by harvey View Post
                  You might also check this site: http://www.coyote-gear.com/tanks.html
                  Not only do they have several tanks they have all kinds of fittings and fuel lines for the installation. This is not as cheap as a plastic can on the back but a lot safer.

Hmm, THAT may be at the top of my tank list now. Thanks Harvey! A great looking professionally made tank at a VERY reasonable price.

Here is another option.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/quicktank/index.htm

• kwthom
                      kwthom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same reference as in post #6.

• srt8-in-largo
                      srt8-in-largo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same as post 4 also. No sweat though, it's a tank worth mentioning... if I had a full Wing I'd bite the price bullet and get one.

This is a tank that I have in-hand and that I'm contemplating using. I bought this several years ago with the intention of using it for methanol injection in my 600 hp supercharged Chrysler 300 but I ended up going another route on that... so the tank has been sitting unused.

It's a 3-gallon Atwood marine and a bit on the small size for what I want in an aux tank, but it fits nice and compactly on my rear motorcycle rack. These are meant mainly to fuel small outboard boat motors and they come with a 1/4" NPT fitting on top next to the gas cap; I'd need to plug this fitting and tap another one in the bottom.

In 2011 new EPA regulations came out that disallowed these tanks to be vented. So... if these tanks are NON-vented and sealed, how do they handle fuel and pressure expansion? Vendors design these things to actually BULGE to accommodate fuel and pressure expansion. If you read the early Amazon reviews you'll see a bunch of people freaking out over a bulging tank believing it was a defect; not so. The tank expands in size by design.

The more I think about this, the more this "tank expansion" concerns me. If I use fixed hard mounts to install this on the bike, will tank expansion either bust or loosen the mounts over time? The other concern I have is the fuel line fitting that I need to drill into the bottom of it; will "tank expansion" cause the hole to expand or constrict, and will either of these actions affect the fitting or sealer or o-ring used to seal the hole? Lastly, from what I see these marine tanks don't have much in terms of internal baffles to minimize sloshing.

In light of these things... my plan is moving away from trying to use a marine tank... and I think I'll take a good look at those pretty Coyote tanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood%2525203%252520gallon%252520fuel%252520tank.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	58883

Name:	Atwood%2525203%252520gallon%252520fuel%252520tank%252520-%252520dimensions.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	58884

Originally posted by srt8-in-largo View Post

Thanks in advance.
                      Now that you have been given some examples, plus your own idea, consider strength, in case you place luggage on it; quality of construction; size/volume; securing it; venting design; and ease of hookup/disconnect. Of course cost is a big factor that cannot be discounted. Good luck with your search.
                      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Originally posted by Lone Ranger View Post

Now that you have been given some examples, plus your own idea, consider strength, in case you place luggage on it; quality of construction; size/volume; securing it; venting design; and ease of hookup/disconnect. Of course cost is a big factor that cannot be discounted. Good luck with your search.
                        Thanks again LR. I think I have some reasonable ideas for these things... but I need to understand venting a bit more. At this stage, I'm kinda thinking the easiest route is to just use a vented gas cap. I guess that's fine, eh?

Here's something that surprised me.

The Coyote tanks come with a 1/4 inch drain fitting. Using a flow estimate from [http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/civ...en-williams_g], you get a flow rate of about 0.45 gal/min.

Changing this fitting to AN6 with a 0.375 inch diameter, you get about 300% more flow at 1.32 gal/min!

Hmpf. Does such a small increase in hose size really make such a big difference... or is this calculator off base? Idk...

Name:	gravity%252520fed%252520pipe%252520flow%252520-%2525200.25%252520inch%252520%252528AN4%252529.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	58892

Name:	gravity%252520fed%252520pipe%252520flow%252520-%2525200.375%252520inch%252520%252528AN6%252529.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	58893

Being very practical and having carried a 5L jerry can strapped to my previous bike, I'm wondering if this has turned into a monster.
                            Where are you planning on driving that a 250 mile range from the stock gas tank will leave you stranded for fuel in the continental US, or even Canada for that matter?
                            Why not spend ten bucks, get a 2 gallon jerry can, pack it somewhere out of view on your bike, and be done with it?
                            I'm trying to save you a lot of money and hassle here George. Just sayin'.

Thanks for the perspective Terry... and I hear ya

There's a post here by MMR from a couple years ago where he introduces himself and elaborates in detail about his long distance riding accomplishments... it's VERY extensive. Back then he had a confirmed 1.8 million miles on two wheels and I'm sure he's past or nearly past the 2 million mile mark by now. A lot of people would read what he wrote and ask...WHY?... and not begin to fathom how anyone could possibly enjoy covering such distances in such short times... and I'm beginning to realize that not everybody "gets it".

For some, there's an abstract enjoyment in covering lots of distance... LONG, HARD, and FAST. Some people enjoy hockey. Some enjoy swinging leisurely in a hammock. Some enjoy making time across vast expanses. There's no logic or reason here; it's just something within each of us that we don't control. As an example, I once drove home to Portland, OR from St Louis,MO for 39 hours straight covering a few ticks over 2,000 miles in one sitting. If I could have carried enough fuel to never stop, I probably would have lol.

I'm definitely not adding an aux tank out of necessity, but rather, out of expanding a hobby... or passtime... of mine.

Check out this map. The smaller circle shows the range of the OEM fuel tank from my home... about 244 miles. The bigger circle shows the range after adding a 5 gallon aux tank... about 444 miles. If looking at this doesn't invoke a sense of adventure... and mystery... and possibilities... then you may view an aux fuel tank as folly. But if you look at this and get goosebumps, then, well, you know

Name:	range%252520map.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	58897

I respect your very different perspective. I'm not sure what your vocation is, but astronaut doesn't strike me as being absurd.

• srt8-in-largo
                                  srt8-in-largo commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I may be different, but not different enough to be an astronaut.. heck no! :-)

My vocation is electrical engineering.

MMR is a fun guy to speak with but sometimes exaggerates a 'little'.

I would worry more about safety, strapping 3-5 gallons of highly combustible fuel on top of a rack in a relatively thin plastic container at the rear of my MC would be highly dangerous, change the center of gravity, and could lead to stabilization problems; especially if the weight is behind the rear axle. Also, having a bright red fuel container strapped on top could lead to answering questions from local LEOs in states where there may be laws about proper transportation of combustible fluids.

And, if you were ever in a wreck, you would have a lot of combustible liquid that could easy spew over you and ignite if the tank ruptured. A tank as you described would be easily ruptured in a rear end collision or a high side or even a head on when a vehicle turns left in front of you.

Yeah, I know MCs have fuel tanks, but they are designed to be as protected as possible and designed not to rupture in most wrecks. Usually, the forces involved to rupture a stock fuel tank on a modern designed MC have to be great enough to break the MC in half and the rider is usually deceased from the impact anyway.

My math works out to: 440 miles at 60 mph average = 7.3 hours; 230 miles at 60 mph = 3.8 hours + .16 hrs (10 mins) minutes to stop & fuel; 3.8 hours + 3.8 hrs +.16 = 7.76 hrs and is 460 miles

AND, I haven't even accounted for the increased time it would take a person to stop and fill BOTH tanks on the 440 mile scenario.

It is possible that you can actually save more time stopped by quickly fueling the empty stock tank and getting back on the road than traveling more miles between fill ups but having to spend more time fueling both tanks each time.

2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
                                My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

Rides for Iron Butt Association certification requires stopping at 350 miles. Most major rallies max fuel capacity is 11.5 gallons.

Outside these limitations, you can carry as much as you dare to.

EDIT: Ask our buddy Marc about that; he's got a nice setup on his rally-tested 'Wing.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page