Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluetooth. One more try.

My first attempt at Bluetooth connectivity was way back at BT version 1. something.
    At that time, I was over the maintenance of a trucking company and hand to be accessible 24/7 so Bluetooth seemed like a good idea, but after spending far too much time and money trying to make it work reliably, I gave up and worked up a hardwired solution. I think I had about 30 minutes in it and no further issues.

Several years later, after more and more companies started offering more modern BT interfaces, I figured I would give it another go. So I bought a J&M combination MP3/Bluetooth module.
    It works great for streaming audio but not so much for phone uses.

To be fair, I did not put much effort into finding a resolution to that part of it, so this may have been an issue with something other than the interface. I would really rather not talk on the phone on the bike anyway, and I am not longer a slave to a fleet of trucks, so I don't have to.

I always kind of figured that my Bluetooth woes were in part because of aftermarket modules that may or may not play well with all vehicles and that OEM Bluetooth would surely be more reliable.
    With that in mind, and a job in North Carolina that was going to require a lot of lighting equipment, I loaded up the huge trunk of the VW Jetta and hit the road.

I had never paired my phone with this, or any other car, but the process was painless.
    The first test call to my wife performed as it should. and after that call, I tried playing mp3s. That too worked as it should. :-)
    So next I had to call my bank. I got put on hold and then given the option for a call back, or hold for an hour. So I chose the call back.
    A little less than an hour later, the phone rang through the cars speakers. I pushed the answer button on the steering wheel, and got nothing. I then tried swiping the command on the phone and said hello. I could just barely hear a response, but they apparently couldn't hear me and hung up.

I disconnected from Bluetooth and then paired again. After that it seemed to work right again, but did do a couple of other flaky things over the next few days. I also had an issue with my wife not being able to understand me at highway speeds, so I would have to plug in a headset to talk to her. So much for wireless.

So while this OEM system does work much better than my past attempts, I still have reservations.
    The best that I can tell, the only feature that Bluetooth has that hardwired connections do not is unreliability.

Give me a good plug and play wired connection and I'm good.

I have a really bad hearing problem. If fact I am deaf. That's pretty bad huh? Fortunately I have two cochlear implants and can get by reasonably well.
    Anyway, when I bought my 2012 Goldwing Viper Trike I bought a pair J&M headsets for me and my wife.The 2012 Goldwing intercom was so bad on my trike I couldn't understand anything.
    I bought a better pair of headsets and it still didn't work well.
    I was almost ready to sell the Wing because it was no fun not being able to communicate with my wife while riding.
    I decided to try Bluetooth as the last resort and researched all the units out there and decided on the new (at that time) Sena 20s. I got them in and installed them and I was blown away at how clear they were. No static, no wind noise and they will pair with our phones almost instantly. We've had them for over a year now and if it hadn't been for my Bluetooth Sena 20s I probably wouldn't be riding today.
    Bluetooth certainly worked in my case.
    2012 Goldwing CSC Viper Trike
    Retired MSF Instructor

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• bbalzer
      bbalzer commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah! We just purchased a pair of Sena 20s' too. They are incredible. The intercom has virtually NO wind noise at all. The "Honda" J&M hard wires had lots of wind noise from the passenger. I often just muted my wife due to wind noise. NOT with the Sena 20s'. Also the Bluetooth phone connection is so very simple and works very well. Also bought the Sena SM10 and cable assembly to connect to the OEM audio connection. The sound from FM and XM are very good too. In the event you often travel with a group and you all want to talk, you can connect up to 8 or 9 Sena 20s and talk to each other with a range of up to 1.2 miles. I know I can be re fueling and still hear my wife when she is in the bathroom at the gas station. One time was just inside the store holding her helmet visiting with another customer and I could still barely understand the conversation. 10-13 hr battery talk time. Never ran out of battery while on our last week long trip. Did charge each night. HIGHLY recommend these.

A couple of interesting reads there.

I'm living vicariously through you guys...I have yet to perform my first BT pairing of anything

I see the convenience of it though; assuming it works right.
    George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Granada, I am glad that Sena provided a good solution to your problem.
      I also have hearing issues that seem to get worse daily. The only thing that seems to be a constant with my ears is the ringing, but at this point, my EdSets seem to be adequate for my needs.

I have heard a number of good reports about the Sena systems, but at this point, I am just too gun shy to spend any more time or money on a technology that offers nothing more to me than not having to plug in an audio cord.

The bluetooth issues are an odd thing to me. I normally get along well with new tech and don't hesitate to jump in if it looks like a useful improvement. I just have not tried any combination that works the way that I expect a tech item to perform.

I got a Sena 20 for my AK ride on my BMW GSA. It worked really well, as long as you stay in sight of your other riders.

It was really nice to be wireless from the MC.

I spoke to Sena reps at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff and asked them if they were planning an interface with a Goldwing so we could use the Sena helmet module but still use the GW factory radio and CB. He told me they are working on it but had no timeline.
        2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
        My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

• kwthom
          kwthom commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought a third party had figured out that issue (CB integration with a GW...) - it was some sort of a cable as I recall.

That discussion took place on another GW forum some time ago.

This is right off Sierra's website. May be what you are looking for. Our products

Sierra Adapter Harness for Sena SMH10 to Honda Goldwing GL-1800

Sierra / SENA Bluetooth solution for Honda Goldwing

If you are one of the many Honda Goldwing GL1800 riders that have been anticipating a solution for utilizing a SENA Bluetooth headset for communication on the Goldwing factory audio system, it is now available.

The creative engineering of a fellow Goldwing rider, Mr. Steve Schmidt, has made it possible to use the
        SENA SMH-10 Bluetooth headset as a Bluetooth adapter for the GL-1800 audio system.

Using a pair of SENA SMH-10 Bluetooth headsets, this harness, a clamp kit, and one SMH-10 mounted in the left console box.

With a single tap of the jog dial on the SMH-10 that is mounted on your helmet, an intercom connection is established between your headset and the Goldwing's audio system.

You can listen to any of the Goldwing audio system functions such as the AM/FM radio, auxiliary audio, weather band, and navigation instructions. You also may receive and transmit from the factory CB radio as well as still connecting your headset to a Bluetooth cell phone or GPS. All audio sources received by the riders are in mono. If you are a stereo music connoisseur this also incorporates a cable to connect a
        SENA SM-10 dual stream Bluetooth stereo transmitter. Simply double tap the headset jog dial to connect to the SM-10 and both rider and pasenger may now receive all audio sources in stereo.

Sierra is happy to offer a new Bluetooth interface, designed by Steve Schmidt, for the Honda GL1800 that allows for the full integration of all features of the audio system including CB using the SENA Bluetooth components.

Includes:
        Sierra GW SMH10 Harness
        SENA SMH-A0304 Helmet Clamp Kit
        Installation & Operating Instructions

Kit requires:
        SENA SMH10 Motorcycle Bluetooth Headsets (Two if riding with passenger)
        SENA SMH10-M01 Replacement Module

SIE SNA GW SMH10
        Price: $129.99

Nice to know, I assume this will work with a Sena 20....

So I wonder if Sena will be offering their own version like I was told by their R&D guy?
          2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
          My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

• kwthom
            kwthom commented
            Editing a comment
            I *think* the guy that designed this actually didn't patent the design - and that Sena was either going to contract out to the designer to build cables or was going to build them in-house.

This was discussed at length on a couple of other forums as well.

Some judicious Googling would find the source of the discussion if interested.

Originally posted by K Hansen View Post
          This is right off Sierra's website. May be what you are looking for. Our products

[COLOR=#666666][FONT=Arial]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]Sierra / SENA Bluetooth solution for Honda Goldwing

Oh wow... I've been keeping my eyes open for something like this... thanks!

George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

I have it working with the 20S headsets. I also ended up getting an additional unit (SMH10) so I could get stereo music. If I were you I would call Sierra and have them tell you exactly what you need. Mine works great but there is a bit of a learning curve as the headsets and system are quite a bit smarter than I am sometimes.

Originally posted by K Hansen View Post
              I have it working with the 20S headsets. I also ended up getting an additional unit (SMH10) so I could get stereo music. If I were you I would call Sierra and have them tell you exactly what you need. Mine works great but there is a bit of a learning curve as the headsets and system are quite a bit smarter than I am sometimes.
              I'm thinking about getting this Sierra GL1800 Bluetooth kit myself. My concern was with the installation of the kit. I just got my new (and first) GoldWing, and I'm really not familiar on how things come apart to install this. Is it a fairly easy install, such that a Wing noob coulod do it? Thanks!

• kwthom
                kwthom commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe post 6 explains the details of what's needed to procure to execute this setup. One would hope that part of the kit is the explanation of how it all goes together.

Has anyone here tried the Edsets Bluestreak? It is supposed to be stereo, not sure if it works with wireless headsets. I have hearing issues and my intercom is horrible for me. I wonder if the Sena 20 will work with the Edsets Bluestreak?
              Progressive Monotubes
              All Balls
              Race Tech G3S Custom shock
              Dunlop E3 front
              Yokohama Envigor 195-55-16 rear Darkside #1591

Originally posted by Basil Faulty View Post
              Has anyone here tried the Edsets Bluestreak? It is supposed to be stereo, not sure if it works with wireless headsets. I have hearing issues and my intercom is horrible for me. I wonder if the Sena 20 will work with the Edsets Bluestreak?
              The Edsets Bluestreak does not take away the cord for the helmet. What it does is integrate a Bluetooth phone into the bike's wiring for receiving and making calls. Sierra's wiring harness allows you to truly cut the cord from the helmet, and allow you to use a Sena Bluetooth headset such as the 20S.

I have this exact setup, along with the SM-10. I have a SMH10R on my helmet. I also have an IPhone mounted to a RAM mount on the handlebar. My passenger has a SMH10R on her helmet and a riding friend has a SMH10R on his helmet. The installation of this equipment was the easy part. Just remove the left storage compartment and connect the cables, simple enough. When it comes to installing the SM10 and the SMH10 inside the left pocket, along with a 3-way USB power adapter, the pocket becomes crowded and full, but it fits. The hardest part, and the one I have yet to master, is learning what is paired with what, in what sequence should they be paired, and how many things can be paired....it's like I need a pairing road map in front of me while riding.....any most importantly, don't forget to reach into the storage compartment and turn the SM10 and SMH10 off when you are finished riding, otherwise they will be dead and it will take an hour of riding to charge them enough to use. It does work and as soon as I master it SENA will make an SM10 that is a stero transceiver that turns itself off if there is no DC power input (save internal battery power).....

So after everything is paired up (and I assume this is a one time process?), in what sequence do you power up the:
                  - bike
                  - bike SMH10
                  - SM10
                  - helmet SMH10

And you if you turn off the bike, does everything need to be turned off and powered up in sequence again?

SMH10 can pair up to 4 units at a time. For me, it would be "logical" to pair with my wife/passenger first, followed by the next rider of my preference, in no specific "importance", just my choosing for easier recollection...alphabetical, age, etc.

As for the phone, it doesn't really matter, does it? Phone, by Sena's information, have priority over all comm function for YOUR head unit.

So, long story short, priority will be: 1. Phone, 2. Your wife (or whomever you paired with FIRST), 3. Second Sena you paired with second and upto another head unit to complete the 4 pairings.

If YOU get a phone call, all comm sstops until you hang up the phone and resume comm.

The only thing I don't like is the automatic override of functions when the phone goes off, like annoying text coming in.

You MUST clear it, otherwise, all functions are null.

The SMH10 and the SMH10R headsets are the same except for the way they look...I have the SMH10R headsets on mine and my wife's helmets and the SMH10 is for the CB Bluetooth communications, which I'm still learning.....also have a SM10 connected for stereo music..............Three additional headsets can be paired to either headset....In my case the CB's SMH10 becomes one of the additional intercom headsets.......for reasons I don't understand, if a phone call comes in and I push the answer button on the phone it will not connect to my headset, but if I push the answer button on the headset it works fine...

Originally posted by lawingnutz View Post
                        for reasons I don't understand, if a phone call comes in and I push the answer button on the phone it will not connect to my headset, but if I push the answer button on the headset it works fine...
                        I think this is because the phone is paired to the headset. But when you physically touch the phone to answer, it thinks you want to talk on the phone itself. What kind of phone are you using?

Using an IPhone

Sierra is selling the harness for $129 now, and unless you call and beg for one, it will not work on a GL1500. I have one of similar construction that will work with either a GL1800 or a GL1500, for $80.00 shipped in US

• jmohme
                              jmohme commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks for the info, but I'm done with trying to make BT work for me.
                              I currently have a J&M MP3 adapter that has both Bluetooth and a USB to just plug it in. Either way, I can control my iPod with the CD controls so I usually just plug it in so that it stays charged.
                              As far as the phone is concerned. I have it mounted on in my line of site. If someone calls that I want to talk to, I pull over and call back.
                          Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page