Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow riding

Most police motors train extensively to slow ride and it is a skill to be mastered. It is quite helpful to know that you can maneuver confidently through tight spaces without 'duckwalking' the MC. I still have my slow riding skills, but this guy in the video is very good.
    2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
    My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

The video didn't work for me after I posted it, but click on the Patriot HD hyperlink to see the video...
    My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Slow Joe is still the King of Slow Ride.............:D
      2001 Hot Rod Yellow GL1800A

Originally posted by Fred in GA View Post
        You're pretty slow yourself, Freddie
        Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio
        Member of the Stone Pony's

Very interesting !!
          T.A. Jens
          The Pizza Man
          1800 06 White Champion Trike
          2005 Bunkhouse Camper
          2006 Breeze Cargo Trailer
          GWRRA Life Member

In school, they told me I was slow. I didn't know it was a good thing.
            GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
            Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I'm not slow....just speed challenged.

I just wonder if the same amount of control can be achieved when running a car tire on a 'wing.

My slow riding skills while in parking lots & such is the main reason i'm sticking to a MC tire. I've ridden with a lot of guys who can ride really fast with car tires but seem to have problems in slow riding situations in parking lots.

Originally posted by Missouri Charley View Post

You're pretty slow yourself, Freddie
                  That's the nicest thing you've said to me in a long time. :p
                  2001 Hot Rod Yellow GL1800A

Originally posted by azsandrider View Post
                    I just wonder if the same amount of control can be achieved when running a car tire on a 'wing.

My slow riding skills while in parking lots & such is the main reason i'm sticking to a MC tire. I've ridden with a lot of guys who can ride really fast with car tires but seem to have problems in slow riding situations in parking lots.
                    Not my experience (never ridden with a CT) - I've read/heard about guys with CTs being able to come to a complete stop (without touching down) because of the squareness of the CT.
                    White '08 Navi
                    SW OH

Originally posted by Taddpole View Post

Not my experience (never ridden with a CT) - I've read/heard about guys with CTs being able to come to a complete stop (without touching down) because of the squareness of the CT.
                      I agree, most people that complain about car tires have never tried one.
                      John

Dark Sider 1020
                      Michlin Alpin PA3 ZP
                      Centramatic Wheel Balancers

Originally posted by Taddpole View Post

I frequently can come to a complete stop without putting my feet down. I usually can't hold it more than a few seconds, and once I made 10 seconds (roughly), but I don't think I would have been able to on a round tire.
                        2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

I can come to a complete stop, look both ways, and start again on my GW with a proper tire on it.

I have tried a friends GW with a car tire and didn't like the feel when coming out of a lean, it seems to 'throw' it back into vertical at a certain point. BUT, he can out ride me in the twisties. Is it because of the CT or because he is a better riders? I like to think he is a better rider. Actually I know he is a better rider! (Biglefti)

Anyway, I ride with a spirited bunch of GW riders at Death Valley in February and I can not not keep up with the first 5 or six in the twisties, although last year I was closer so I'm am learning to ride the GW better. They all run CT and I think I was the first in the group to have a MT. BUT, none of them seemed to exhibit slow riding techniques as shown in the video. I would think a CT would help in slow maneuvering.

My friend I ride with often was following me through a crowded street (Motorcycles on Main in Mesa AZ where the city closed the street down to MCs only and its packed with people & MCs) and I had my wife on board. I was riding at a walking pace or less, stopping momentarily to wait for pedestrians to get out of the way all without putting my feet down. In fact, I wasn't even thinking about what I was doing as I was just riding like I was trained to do as a PD motor. When I stopped and parked, I looked back for my friend and he was back a ways stopping & starting his GW with his feet down to get through the crowd. I asked him why he didn't follow me and he said there was no way he could ride that slow with the CT. Also, most of the nearby crowd had stopped and watched what I was doing like I fell off of a space ship. I guess slow riding (clutch throttle brake) is not a common occurrence among average riders.

If I ever get an opportunity to get an extra rear rim to try a CT I would like to compare. But I'm not going to just buy one without trying it first. I read somewhere that a smaller aspect ratio feels more like at MT as well.

AZSandRider - if you're ever in the DFW area, I'll let you give my rim a run. We could even put it on your bike if you want.

FWIW, my comparison is me on an MT, and me on a CT. I can do better stopping on the CT. I can't keep up with most folks on either one, so I fall back on the "I'm riding my own ride" excuse.

2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

Tim for whatever reason my slow riding is better on a ct than a mt. Neither is that great though

I have to get with Biglefti. I think he has an extra rim with a CT mounted, but is it the 'right' CT? We can put it on my GW and go up Yarnell Hill & back. If I make it back alive I should be able to determine the merits of a CT.

By the way, I think this is the 1st CT vs, MT discussion on this new forum and no one was un-civil to each other...amazing for a bunch of banned rabble rousers....

Originally posted by Fred in GA View Post

Speaking of SLOW, what is taking him so long to get his sorry butt over here. I know, I know, yes, he is just SLOW.

Nothing better then watching the riders that can swing these big girls around with hardly any effort at all. Trialsman (Paul) was sure fun to watch at the gatherings as he was really good with doing this. Enjoy and always make it a point during Bike Week to see the "Ride Like a Pro gang. While really good, a couple of the ladies are easy on the eye as well.

Hey Mr. Parsons, when we get together to share that meal, I'll show you how I can hold mine up for hours at a time without putting my feet down.
                                  __________________________________________________ __________

Why sweat the leg thing when I can still ride a Goldwing
                                  Member of the Hann-Amigo Trio

Originally posted by Wheels View Post

Speaking of SLOW, what is taking him so long to get his sorry butt over here. I know, I know, yes, he is just SLOW.

Nothing better then watching the riders that can swing these big girls around with hardly any effort at all. Trialsman (Paul) was sure fun to watch at the gatherings as he was really good with doing this. Enjoy and always make it a point during Bike Week to see the "Ride Like a Pro gang. While really good, a couple of the ladies are easy on the eye as well.

Hey Mr. Parsons, when we get together to share that meal, I'll show you how I can hold mine up for hours at a time without putting my feet down.
                                    Yep, if I see you entered into the slow ride competition I will simply concede. No contest.

Chuckle.

Cheers..........

Kit

Well at least the forum police aren't gonna jump in here and tell ya all you're riding too crazy, you're gonna hurt someone, blah, blah, blah.
                                      2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
                                      2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
                                      AMA Life Member 0672853
                                      IBA Member 8846 Premier
                                      NRA Life Member

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page