Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heel Toe Shifter

Just installed the Kury floorboards and heel toe shifter. The floorboards I find very comfortable but having a problem getting use to the heel toe shift. With the toe shifter I use to shift without thinking about it but now I find myself concentrating on my shift every time. Anybody else had a problem adjusting?

I would not have a heel toe shifter on a Wing but do have one that came stock on my wife's VTX. Yes I have a tough time adjusting to that thing when I ride her bike. It is the first bike I have ever had with a heel toe shifter and hopefully the last. Other than that the VTX is a great ride.
    Harvey
    Ride Safe and Ride Often

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I had one on my KZ1000 Police Special. It felt comfortable and natural until I would be in high stress situations, then my muscle memory would try to treat it like a standard toe shifter. My first 1800 came with it, but I sold it (the shifter) ~6 months after I got it. I liked it, but couldn't overcome my own issues with using it. A lot of folks do like it, however, so best of luck!!
      2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
      USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
      US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
      2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
      2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

The Kuryakyn floorboards and heel and toe shifter took a little time and riding for me to get accustomed to but I found that once I used them for awhile I really like them.

It's like just about every repetitive motion we learn to make. After a little time the subconscious brain takes over and we repeat the motions without thinking about them.

When I bought the '14 last December riding it home from Russellville, AR, a trip of about 650 miles, felt awkward and abnormal with standard pegs and factory shifter. Soon as I got home I installed the Kuryakyn boards and shifter from my previous Wing and was back to normal.
        Harvey Barlow
        Crosby County, TX
        2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
        2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Originally posted by TrikeBiker View Post
          Just installed the Kury floorboards and heel toe shifter. The floorboards I find very comfortable but having a problem getting use to the heel toe shift. With the toe shifter I use to shift without thinking about it but now I find myself concentrating on my shift every time. Anybody else had a problem adjusting?
          When I first got mine on and tried it out I hated it and couldn't seem to get used to it either. Then after a day or two of riding with it ... it just clicked and I loved it and have had it on all my Goldwings. I think if I went back to riding a Wing without it I'd be just as lost and confused as you probably are now getting use to it. Give it time ... Really makes shifting a breeze in my opinion

Donnie
          DonnieOnTheRoad
          My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://www.donnieontheroad.com

Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!

Had one my VTX 1300 also, took a little gettin' used to and I liked it. I don't know if I'd want one on the Wing.
            DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
            2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

I liked the floor boards as they gave me an earlier indication of lean angles when in the twisties. I disliked them because they gave me an earlier indication of lean angles when in the twisties.

Also, I think my feet were too big. Not enough room to shift. Caused me to miss shifts when riding aggressive. And they interfere with center stand.

I had heel toe shifter on my Harley and took off the back part, did not care for the set up. I guess I am too use to riding dirt bikes and have never had a problem shifting. The floor boards are nice though.
                Dave - High up in Arizona - 2012/GL1800

I would not ride a wing without floorboards and heeltoe. I am on my third wing and I have put them on all three. Once you get used to it, your upshifts are lot more positive. JMHO

I went from a GL1500 to a VTX1300 that floorboards and a heel/toe shifter, and it took me a couple of months to get used to it. Once I did, I was totally on board for it. When I got my 1800 (new), I bought the Kury ahead of time to install on it. The 8 miles from the dealer to the motel we got was frustrating, I wanted my heel/toe shifter ON.

In short, you'll probably get used to it.
                    2012 Honda Goldwing | 2009 Timeout Camper

Patriot Guard Rider since 2007 | IBA member #59823

My first bike, many years ago, had a heel toe shifter, but I didn't use the heel part much.
                      My wife had a VTX with one and with the floor boards, I really had no choice but to use it.i couldn't get the toe of my boot under the toe part.
                      I guess it's really just a matter of preference, and I prefer not to have one.

Hi Folks

I have read many comments about the heel toe shifter used on the wings....there are some comments that indicate that mother Honda does not like these...can anyone advise if there is really any issue using them on the bike?....do they really affect the gearbox etc?....or is it just Honda being over cautious?

thank and cheers

Kev

P.S. Any suggestions on which brand may be better/worse?
                        2014 Candy Prominence GL1800 Luxury, Aust version, 'cause that's where I live.
                        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHN...Sac2F9pvWh5KtA

I've had a Kuryakyn heel and toe shifter that was installed on my yellow Wing for 93,000 miles and moved to the blue one for another 26,000 miles. I've had no problems. To me the heel and toe shifter is a huge convenience

I asked my GW tech about it several years ago. He told me a heel and toe shifter can be a problem if the rider allows his left foot to ride on the toe or heel levers placing continuous pressure on internal components or stomps hard on the heel lever when upshifting. I don't do either.

Some criticize the quality or Kuryakyn's chrome. That might be an issue if you live on the coast but I live in dry west Texas. Both of my Goldwings have visited the east, west, and Gulf coasts many times without causing rust. My Kuryakyn chrome still looks as good as new.
                          Harvey Barlow
                          Crosby County, TX

I had a factory heel-toe on my Venture and did did get comfortable with the heel shifter....Seemed more awkward than helpful. Even thought of getting rid of it.
                            When I first got on the Wing the shifter seemed a bit tiny for my foot but I got used to it and wouldn't even consider a heel shifter.
                            I did love the floorboards on the Venture but because of that tiny shifter and it's position I don't think a full floorboard would work well for me.
                            I found a compromise by installing these, and lowering and moving them back as far as they go and angling them slightly down :
                            Ride safe
                            Alex Z , Huntington Beach, CA

• clayusmcret
                              clayusmcret commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I love my mini-boards.

Originally posted by Kev View Post
                            Hi Folks

I have read many comments about the heel toe shifter used on the wings....there are some comments that indicate that mother Honda does not like these...can anyone advise if there is really any issue using them on the bike?....do they really affect the gearbox etc?....or is it just Honda being over cautious?

thank and cheers

Kev

P.S. Any suggestions on which brand may be better/worse?
                            If I can add onto Kev's questions, I've got a buddy with a 2012. He was told that his heel/toe shifter caused a bent gear problem. Heard of this before? I told him I'd ask.
                            2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders

I think I can summarize the mother Honda problem based on conversations with my GW tech and various reading. IF you have floorboards and heel and toe shifter on your Goldwing AND IF you have a significant (read costly) problem with your Goldwing transmission that requires removal and splitting the case AND IF your Goldwing is under warranty AND IF you don't have a good relationship with your dealer AND IF your dealer is more loyal to mother Honda than to you YOU MAY have a problem with your dealer and mother Honda blaming you and forcing you to pay.

I thought about this initially on my yellow Wing and decided that if I had a transmission problem I would remove the floorboards and shifter and reinstall the oem pegs, brake lever, and shifter and expect the dealer to be loyal to me.

The outcome of most warranty claims begins with the way your dealer reports the problem to Honda and whether they defend you or throw you under the bus.
                              Harvey Barlow
                              Crosby County, TX

A neighbor put a heel toe shifter on his 2014 wing last year started having a problem with the bike jumping out of gear on deceleration, Honda refused warranty they say that the h/t shifter causes undue damage to the gear box due to the fact that the shifter allows the rider to stomp on the shifter with more force than the stock one causing bent and worn shifting dogs and shafts.

Originally posted by clayusmcret View Post

If I can add onto Kev's questions, I've got a buddy with a 2012. He was told that his heel/toe shifter caused a bent gear problem. Heard of this before? I told him I'd ask.
                                  I believe what he was told is a "bent fork". It is the devise that moves the gear.
                                  I have a heel toe shifter and love it. You don't stomp on it to up shift any harder than your toe could do on the stock shifter. It is important to be sure the mechanism moves freely or you will have a partial shift which we all know is a problem. The other advantage is that my shoes don't have a scuff mark on the top.

Originally posted by CaseyK View Post

I believe what he was told is a "bent fork". It is the devise that moves the gear.
                                    I have a heel toe shifter and love it. You don't stomp on it to up shift any harder than your toe could do on the stock shifter. It is important to be sure the mechanism moves freely or you will have a partial shift which we all know is a problem. The other advantage is that my shoes don't have a scuff mark on the top.
                                    That is what he said. Just didn't sound right in memory. Thanks for the correction. I'll tell him to stop stomping on it.

I took the H-T shifter & foot boards off my GW (had it when I bought) after riding with it for several years.

I noticed the 'sportier' I rode the GW the more I dragged the boards and especially the kickstand which hangs a little lower (I've ground off about half of the kickstand pad width).

The last 'sporty' ride I did up the Devils Highway in AZ (Route US191 - used to be US 666) I actually leaned over so far the kickstand dug in and I almost lost the bike in the corner.

After removing the H-T shifter and foot boards and going to stock parts, I can be more aggressive in turns and it seems to shift better...

And I have a lot of experience with H-T & foot boards as I rode a Police KZ1000 for work for 7 years and they have H-T shifter & boards...
                                      2006 Titanium Level 3 'Wing with a few 'farkles. From Mesa, Az.
                                      My avatar is me from a recent summer ride in the Phoenix Az area:"Its a dry heat"

• clayusmcret
                                        clayusmcret commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        I loved my KZ1000 Police Special; talk about riding comfort. If only I could have gotten it to stop spitting oil.
                                    Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page