Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding clothes

Questions about riding clothes. What jacket and pants do you ride in the Summer, and what do you wear under them? What jacket and pants do you ride in the Winter? What rain gear do you use?

I wear a Mesh Jacket from First Gear. I also have the First Gear Air Mesh pant and usually wear shorts beneath them. I also just wear jeans.
    Harvey
    Ride Safe and Ride Often

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I wear an Aerostich Darien Jacket and pants, year round. For winter riding I wear LDComfort pants and long sleeve turtleneck type shirts. During summers I wear LDComfort shorts and short sleeve shirt. I've learned from personal experience enhanced by reading articles in the Iron Butt magazine that above 93° air flow through my clothing is my enemy. At high temps I wet down my LDComfort gear and zip up my jacket opening only the sleeves and partially opening the jacket vents. Minimal air flow keeps the cool wet clothing wet and cool longer.

Aerostich suits are made of very dense Goretex material which is wind and waterproof so no rain suits are ever needed.

I started out riding with a First Gear mesh jacket. Riding through OKC in July when the temp is 114° and humid with a mesh jacket is not a good practice.
      Harvey Barlow
      Crosby County, TX
      2010 Goldwing Level II Pearl Yellow (sold at 93,000 miles)
      2014 Goldwing Level II Pearl Blue (sold at 27,000 miles to forum member)

Tell me more about LD Comfort riding clothes.

Originally posted by Maudie View Post
          They have a lot of good information and some videos on their website. http://ldcomfort.com/ I use it on all of my long rides and wouldn't think of not doing so. It's a bit pricey but the comfort is well worth it to me. It keeps you cooler when it's hot and warmer when it's cool and it wicks moisture away from your skin to keep you dry. The seams are sewn so that there is no pinching or binding. To me it's just more comfortable than any other base layer.

No, I don't get a kickback or discount.

I agree with Jim's description above and will add that LDComfort riding underwear is also high quality, very durable, and recommended by rider members of the Iron Butt Association. I first learned of them several years ago but was too cheap to pay the price. I bought several sets of "no name" brand skiing underwear from Sam's Club and Academy Sports. One of the sets tore at the elastic waist seam from pulling them up tight and overall the quality was not very good. I finally broke down and tried LDComfort and immediately learned why they are more expensive. LDComfort gear works and is worth the price. Try one set and I think you'll be convinced as I was.
            Harvey Barlow
            Crosby County, TX

I use Frog togs rain gear in the rain they work good enough for me plus i have a mesh gold-wing jacket thats about it for me down here in Fl there no need for cold weather gear. I do have a leather jacket i may were a couple time a year.
              2018 DCT non tour, Pearl Stallion Brown, Double Darksider #856, Live To Ride, Love my Wing, IBA Member# 63744 Yellowbird Alias Coppertone

Summer I wear either my Draggin Jeans or Olympia mesh riding pants with a pair of shorts underneath and a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket. Cold weather I just layer under my leather jacket and jeans.
                2013 Black F6B

Maudie, I think the first question you should ask about riding gear is one only you can answer. Where do you ride or will you ride and during what months of the year?

If your riding is local and only during good weather months you can tailor your purchases and the price you'll pay for gear to your local climate. If you ride year round and north America-wide you'll have to spend more for all weather riding gear.

Harvey Barlow
                  Crosby County, TX

I wear Olympia mesh riding pants & jacket with LD comfort wear underwear when it gets hot I wet the LD underwear real good with water & on real hot days I will add my Comfort Riders vest with the ice packs.

Maudie, I have been wearing LDComfort under-clothing for the past 8 or so years...whenever it was that they first came out, as they are marketed right here in my state, so I quickly knew about them. I wear them on 99 % of all my riding, and usually only wear my Gerbings Overpants, and my Gerbings Jacket over the LDComfort clothing. The day that Gordon's Heated make a riding jacket for me, you can bet I will be wearing that instead of the Gerbings

I will NOT leave on a longer trip without my LDComfort clothing, and....like Jim...I did not get a kickback or discount for mentioning their products

In the summer, I wear Twisted Core undergarments. I have tried just about every brand and really find they keep me cooler. I use the LDComfort helmet liner too, great product.
                        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Will Draggin Jeans flow any air?

If you haven't been there yet, www.ldcomfort.com
                            DS#1146 IBA#55800 50CC,BBG, BB1500 x2, SS2K, SS1Kx3 CERTIFIED ALL DS, PGR RC
                            2010 Level3 Endeavor Reverse Trike

Will Draggin Jeans flow any air?
                              Very little.
                              GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                              Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Please remember that protection and comfort are not always the same thing. Sometimes we have to wear clothing for protection that is not as cool as other things. I still see riders in shorts and flipflops. I admit it really does not bother me when it is a guy but I hate to think what the road rash may do to a female. Mesh pants with padding on the butt and knees and hips are about your best compromise between comfort and cool.
                                Harvey
                                Ride Safe and Ride Often

Olympia year round...in summer I wear swimwear (boardshorts) under the pants and an LDComfort shirt. In winter, wear the same thing except add the liners that come with the Olympia airglide gear.

Motorport's Mesh Kevlar. Just a wicking shirt under the jacket and running tights under the pants. If it cools down the rain liners keep me warm down to the Mid-Low 40's. I don't ride much below that. I have ridden in the Low 100's and they are OK. They work best between 50 and about 95.

2005 Silver Bullet

Well I looked up you temperatures and they are close to mine.
                                      I wear leather pants, jacket, boots and an oilskin vest all year. No wets. I treat them once a year. My boots last about 4 years.
                                      My latest leathers are almost as good as new and 10 years old ( I have replaced some zips ).
                                      One of my mates wears some gortex cordura stuff. He is on his 3rd set in the same time as my latest set of leathers.

At the end of the day wear what you are comfortable with.
                                      GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

I like the LDComfort underwear but I don't use the socks anymore, they really stink after a while. Good cotton socks work best for my feet.
                                        Dave - High up in Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page