Has anyone had hernia surgery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had hernia surgery?

Can't say for sure, but I may be developing a hernia. Will know for sure next week. I wonder how long after surgery it will take before I can ride?
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Interesting ... I just had Hernia Surgery 6 days ago and am recovering now. Mine was in my lower abdomen right side called an inguinal hernia. Recovering pretty good right now. Swelling is down and the wound is healing great. Was able to walk 3 miles today and plan to start riding the Wing again in another week or so if the Doctor gives me the all clear at my 2 week check up.

I was surprised that I had one also.

Good luck with yours IF it turns out you got one. I was in and out of surgery same day. Not a big a deal as it used to be in years passed. If you have any questions let me know.

Donnie
    DonnieOnTheRoad
    My Road Trip Blog/Journals --> http://www.donnieontheroad.com

Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

• Cruiseman
      Cruiseman commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you have laproscopic surgery?

No I had the incision ... about 2 inches long. Is was the Prolene Hernia System repair. That's what my surgeon recommended. If you can get away with the laproscopic type surgery the recovery is even quicker I believe because it's less intrusive. My biggest concern was having it done right to avoid a repeat or having to revisit this same issue some time in the future. Guess time will tell.

Donnie
    DonnieOnTheRoad

Life is like riding a motorcycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving ... nothing but two wheels and the open road!

Yep, both sides over the years. Most recent used a mesh patch and seems to be working well. Riding was limited for a couple of weeks if I remember correctly.

You know the members of your motorcycle forum are getting old when.........

Originally posted by Rollin View Post
          You know the members of your motorcycle forum are getting old when.........
          No s***

I had surgery for an umbilical hernia about ten years ago.
            It was done in the middle of the week as an out patient surgery and I was released to go back to work on the following Monday.
            I took my first ride on the Wing two weeks later since I had tossed the pain meds early on. I just didn't like the being doped up and decided the pain was easier to deal with.
            I probably should have given it more time. It was a bit awkward getting on and off, but I just had to go for a ride!

I had both sides fixed. If I remember correctly, (getting old and memory not so good) I had to take about 3 or 4 weeks off from the gym. Then on light lifting for a couple weeks. So in total it was about 6 weeks. But lifting weights at the gym is different than riding. I would say if you feel go good for it. I wouldn't be lifting the bike on the center stand for a bit.

Heck the breeze thru your hair might make you heal faster. Hair? at our age who has hair. haha

I had out patient surgery about 20 years ago and they put in the mesh and no I was not an old man at that time because I am not old now. It hurt like a ***** when I got out of the car and for a few days but I was back to work in a couple of days taking it easy. I was not riding a Wing at that time but I was back on my Harley in a couple of weeks I recall.
                Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

If it's done laparoscopically you'll be back riding in a week- not all Dr's do that

• Cruiseman
                    Cruiseman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am getting laproscopic.

Have an appointment with a general surgeon on Tuesday. Definitely a hernia.

You will be back on the road in no time. Of course follow the doctor's orders or you will get a do over, which I know a guy that went through that. I got the mesh, which you can "feel" for quite a while. BTW, the surgeon told me that most people with hernias are born with them. So..... now I'm waiting for the other side. The surgeon did all the stitches under the skin, then glued the skin so that all is there is a very faint line. Amazing. I did not have to worry about a shower, as there was no holes for stitches or an open wound. Just a thin layer of glue. Also, I have never heard that "old" people get hernias any more than "young" people.
                    2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
                    2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
                    AMA Life Member 0672853
                    IBA Member 8846 Premier
                    NRA Life Member

Originally posted by orangecrate View Post
                      Also, I have never heard that "old" people get hernias any more than "young" people.
                      True. I knew guys in high school that had hernia surgery.

I just got out of the hospital yesterday from a re-do on a ventral hernia repair that was originally done March 2014. Both times spent a week in the hospital because of the size and complexity of this one. I let the original go several years which was a very dumb thing to do and caused it to be worse than it should have been. This time my doctor used bio mesh, split my stomach muscle to create a relaxed fix. This should have been done the first time but the first doctor wasn't prepared for what he found when he opened me up. It was supposed to be an out patient thing last year but was much worse than he thought it was, so he stitched it together and sewed me up. Lasted about a year. This doctor won't let me do anything for 6 weeks and then he's going to limit what I do after that for several months. If yours just developed it should be an easy fix depending on the location. Follow doctors orders cause you sure don't want to do it again. Good luck!

Had triple hernia repair in 2002 using the mesh. Dr advised that I not lift more than 10# for 6 weeks and I followed his advice as closely as possible and have had no issues since that surgery. Was tough not riding the wing or riding in the boat so I could go fishing, but the results were worth the sacrifice.

FOLLOW YOUR DR'S ORDERS!!!

It is official. I have a hernia. Surgery is scheduled for this Friday at noon. Lapriscopic.

Good luck!
                              You will back in the saddle before you know it!

Good luck and I hope you recovery quickly ... But don't rush it.
                                DonnieOnTheRoad

Had to cancel my motorcycle ride in May thanks to the surgery. Damn, 3rd year in a row I have had to cancel a motorcycle ride!

I have come to understand that getting old sucks.

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page