Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use Bluetooth headsets?

I was just wondering how many of you are using wireless Bluetooth headsets in your helmets? If so, elaborate on what product you are using and your experiences.
    GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
    Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

I have a Scala Rider set for rider and passenger. The phone Bluetooth works very well with my phone. I bought these when I worked because it allowed me to ride and deal with work calls. Often, people didn't realize that I was on the bike during a conversation, it is a very clear connection. Rider to passenger communication is difficult, my wife & I gave up & went back to yelling back & forth. We bought new helmets and didn't put the Scala Riders on them since I'm retired.

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

SENA SMH5 here, work fine for me and my passenger, and surprisingly, will will work in a group for up to three. There have been upgrades, SMH 10, SMH 20, but I have no need for all the upgrades. Amazon had a great price point when I got mine. Battery life is about 8 hours.

No, I do not.
        I have had no issues with cables to my helmets, other than an occasional lower cord going bad, but even that has not been a problem since I switched brands of headsets.
        i have tried a few Bluetooth interfaces in the past, but have never had much luck.
        I know the tech has advanced a lot since my previous attempts, but I really don't find plugging in to be at all inconvenient, and it has been quite reliable, and see no reason waste money on a technology that has let me down in the past.

Okay , I am old. I started using wired headsets back in the late 1980's and have learned to live with them. As such I use the Wings Audio system and XM radio for music and sports. I don't want the phone connected so I have avoided Bluetooth, well not entirely as my GPS will allow use of the phone. I have not paired them together yet and really don't intend to do so. Although I realize that quick response is important at a crash scene to notify first responders, I have only run up on a few crashes in the last 40 plus years of riding so I can get to the phone in my pocket or the rear trunk quick enough.

I do think that the time is coming when Bluetooth or something similar will be the norm and we will routinely use it in cars and motorcycles. I just worry about how much this will distract drivers/riders from the task of navigating through traffic.
          Harvey
          Ride Safe and Ride Often

Nope, no Bluetooth helmet for me. Until I don't have to worry about charging the batteries or carrying spares, the technology hasn't developed far enough for me. Having a cordless helmet isn't worth the hassle in my opinion. YMMV

Bluetooth is beyond the batteries of old, just plug them in and recharge. Of course, that's a bit of a hassle as well.

• wingleader09
                wingleader09 commented
                Editing a comment
                Rechargeable batteries are still batteries. I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle, especially on extended road trips. If others like Bluetooth helmets, that's great.

I do not want to talk on the phone when riding, period. I ride to get away from that stuff. Wired headsets for wife and me to talk works great and we seldom even listen to the radio when riding.
              Dave - High up in Arizona - 2012/GL1800

We had used Sena SMH-10 for several years now. Great device, connect to our phone, to be used as music player and phone while on the road.

It's also an intercom which we can switch back and forth as we need it while riding with push of a button.

ONLY draw back I experienced is that when anyone send me a text, everything else is overridden, for the phone takes priority above all function.

Annoying when you get text and can't get back to comm or music until I actually open the phone and message.

Another small drawback is the contacts on the "clamp" unit.

If you make a habit of removing the receiver, for recharge or to go away from bike, the constant remove and Install will wear out the contact pads and you're going to lose some functions due to bad contacts.

We learned from 3 replacements that to not remove it unless we absolutely feel we have to...gets kind of expensive at @ 25 each time.

This bike came with Nolan B.T kit installed in Nolan-103 helmet...so far, not liking it but, probably due to it being different in operation compared to Sena.

Wish there we tree a way to connect Sena to the system on board the bike.

I got Cardo Scale Q3's because my travelling buddy had them. Very useful on trips, and for passenger to rider, too. I do NOT ise phone while riding. I hooked up sene SM-10, Kodiak536, to integrate headsets with bike's system. It seemed to work, but put it in mainly to connect handheld CB but have not been riding with other 'Wingers, so have not used out on road. Call Sena for advice...

Yupp Sena 20S and I love it had a bit of a learning curve but I have DC'd my wired helmet mount. The battery life is great so far so good. I know with the initial release many issues aka bugs but seems like they have worked through them via updates. I wouldn't leave home without it.

Since I'm a bit "long-in-the-tooth" Blue-tooth doesn't interest me for the expense of it. And Blue-tooth isn't really wireless. The unit(s) must be plugged in at some point in time for re-charging.......therefore one is not "wire-less" as advertised. I don't care to have a phone connection while riding either. There is nothing that important to me that I can't pickup from a message center when the ride is stopped for a break or over. Of course, I don't wear a watch or care what date it is either, but that's because my week has 6-Saturdays and 1-Sunday. I know it's Sunday if I hear the Church-bells ringing. Retired and Life is Good without Blue-Tooth! I just plug in the intercom and ride........unplug it when I stop. I've never had an issue wtih plug and ride for over 30 years.
                      Jim Jackson, Smiths Station, AL
                      My Week Has 6-Saturdays and One Sunday. 2012 GW, 2011 H-D
                      "We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities"….Prentice Ritter, Broken Trail

I am looking for an alternative to the Goldwing intercom. I cannot stand the background noise any longer, I actually think it is getting worse. The system is basically unusable.
                        GOLDWING AND F6B MAINTENANCE VIDEOS
                        Save $1000 a year in labor by doing your own maintenance!

Website | YouTube | 2001-2017 Videos | 2018+ Videos

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                          I am looking for an alternative to the Goldwing intercom. I cannot stand the background noise any longer, I actually think it is getting worse. The system is basically unusable.
                          I can hear a slight hissing sound if that is what you are referring to but it is not bothersome. Maybe yours is malfunctioning or I just can not hear anymore.
                          Dave - High up in Arizona - 2012/GL1800

Chris, isn't your Wing still under warranty? Let Honda work on the problem. If they can't you might contact Sierra Electronics as they used to do repairs. Also you might contact Larry at wingconnect.com. I don't know if he works on 2012' and newer but he is really good with the Honda Audio System. You might also pm ssncob as he seems to also have a good handle on the Honda Audio system.
                            Harvey
                            Ride Safe and Ride Often

I have the Sena SMH-10. When I got it I was still working (now retired!) and I had to be able to answer the phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (fire chief). With a wife, eight grown children (includes spouses) and seven grandchildren I like being able to answer whenever they may call. With the Sena nobody knows that I'm riding.

I picked up a Sena SMH-10 a while ago and it's been great for my purposes. I don't have a CB, so I'm not worried about it interfacing with that. I plug my iPhone into the USB in the trunk and can control the music phone through the controls on the handle bar. Battery life has been pretty good. On our trip to Rogers last week, it lasted for about 13 hours before it died and that was after listening to music and directions the entire trip. I like being able to make/take a call if necessary, but "necessary" doesn't happen very often when I'm riding! My wife likes being able to get in touch with me when I ride alone as well; which is a lot of the time. I have yet to try it out for rider to rider communication, but from what I read, it's pretty simple. We will probably pick up an SMH-20 for my wife's Nolan helmet in the near future.
                                Ron - Montrose, CO
                                2018 Pearl White GL1800 DCT
                                2012 Pearl White GL1800 Level 1 - Sold @ 63K miles
                                I don't ride to make great time; I ride to have a great time!

My integrated hard wired system works extremely well for the purposes needed. I have no intention of using my phone while riding for anything other than music occasionally. Typically don't even use the music on the phone and rely on my MP3, IPOD and radio to fill that void. Phone is along for emergencies only. Then again, I like maps too.

I had a set of the Scala's for a short bit when I had my 1100 Spirit. They were good. My wife got her first taste of really nasty weather with them and I was able to keep her calm by making up random conversation for the two hours of rain, lightning and thunder. Worth every penny. Then we bought the GW. I actually think that ride (and our ability to converse calmly through the storm) was a major selling point for her agreeing to the GW.
                                    2008 Red GW1800 -- NRA Life Member - American Legion PUFL, American Legion Riders
                                    USMC 21 YRS/9 MO and when dead, a dead Marine.
                                    US Four Corner Ride https://clayusmcret.blogspot.com/
                                    2014 Mid-States Ride https://mid-states.blogspot.com/
                                    2015 NC to UT/NV Ride https://2015nvride.blogspot.com/

50th State ridden on 19 Aug, 2016 DS #1584

Originally posted by Cruiseman View Post
                                      I was just wondering how many of you are using wireless Bluetooth headsets in your helmets? If so, elaborate on what product you are using and your experiences.
                                      I am using a Shuberth helmet so my Bluetooth headset is a model built into the neck roll of the full face helmet. The Bluetooth works very well and the helmet is quiet. I use the Sena SM10 plugged into the audio cord in the left pocket to send all audio from the bike into my Bluetooth helmet. This includes GPS instructions. My wife uses a Sena S20 Bluetooth unit. The whole system works very well and the Bluetooth headset connects to another rider for approx. 1 km distance line of sight. The Sena S20 is a little more modern and has longer range for connecting to another rider. The Sena SM10 unit battery lasts about 10 hours and the same holds true with the headsets. The headsets can be used while charging and riding so that helps on long rides as well. I do not have a CB and that is the only thing you cannot connect using my Bluetooth. Sena does make another Bluetooth model if you have a CB. Overall, I am very happy with the Bluetooth setup. I am waiting for Sena to come out with a rumoured hard wire Bluetooth setup hopefully this year to eliminate the battery in the SM10.

I hope this helps you out.
                                      CrazzyCanuck

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page