Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Dive Fork Valve Shim?

Anyone using this ? Anti Dive Fork Valve Shim? Thoughts / Reviews / Comments?

http://wingstuff.com/products/32921-...?from_search=1
    Tony C.
    2014 GL1800 Level 3 Black
    Why Black?
    Cause Everyone Knows the Black Ones Are Faster!

I have one similar, but a nickel would work just as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ken
    ..........Central California.........'03 1800 Durango red, the fastest color

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

Originally posted by flyerq68 View Post
      I have one similar, but a nickel would work just as well.
      So you dont need the longer bolts that come in the kit?

Tony 2014 (Everyone Knows the Black Ones Are Faster! LOL)
      Tony C.
      Why Black?

Originally posted by LoneriderSr View Post
        So you dont need the longer bolts that come in the kit? Tony 2014 (Everyone Knows the Black Ones Are Faster! LOL)
        Nope. Originals long enough. One caveat though... Be sure to install heaver springs in the forks such as Traxxion, Progressive, Race Tech, etc. The anti dive does serve a purpose as the OEM fork springs are not strong enough to stop a dive upon braking.
        2007 Crucible Orange Metallic
        2009 Kawasaki Red Concours 14
        AMA Life Member 0672853
        IBA Member 8846 Premier
        NRA Life Member

Tony as stated. you can use a nickel or a plastic washer etc. anything that will raise the top portion of the ADV from the bottom portion. so it's plunger doesn't activate the lower ADV.

If you need to use a spacer. this one is a more perfect fit and cheaper on shipping than what you'll have to pay from WS. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GL1800-GOLDW...8b65ad&vxp=mtr

I suggest a test before you even invest in a nickel.

Remove your front fender & the left chrome caliper cover.
          Remove the 4mm head bolts for the top ADV and ty-wrap it to the lower slider so it doesn't get in the way of the test.

Now go for a ride and use your brake as you normally would.
          Then try grabbing a hand full of brakes to see how the bike reacts to each of these tests?.

Then you'll know if disabling the ADV is for you before you do anything to it.

**You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
          I whispered back "Bring Beer"

This part (or disabling ADV) makes it better on rough roads riding 2 up I have heard?
            Tony C.
            Why Black?

Never was a fan of total disablement of the anti-dive. It does hold the front wheel on the road in an hard stop. There are various ways to take the pre-load off the thing but still retain it if you need it. I just use a couple washers and an O ring to seal out the dirt and gunk. Take the two allen bolts out put some washers between the two halve parts and an o'ring around the top part and bolt it back up. The washers delay the action of the thing, and the o'ring keeps the dirt and water out.

I agree with Rocky. The one on ebay is a better fit. That's the one I've had on my 05' for a couple years now. Thanks for your expertise Rocky!
                TMRA - life member
                GWRRA - life member
                AMA - life member
                IBA # 1626
                N. Texas PGR

The e-bay one is the one I have when I said similar in post 2.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Ken

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it".......Mark Twain

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their validity."........ Abraham Lincoln

I just make sure to check it and do the brake fluid change as per the manual so it works as advertised. No problems so far with 60K on the odometer.
                    Learn to ride your bike so your bike doesn't ride you....

Originally posted by USNRider View Post
                      I just make sure to check it and do the brake fluid change as per the manual so it works as advertised. No problems so far with 60K on the odometer.
                      I've always done the same thing. Only I change the fluid once a year because of how I ride.

My bike has 138,000 miles and my ADV still work just fine. contrary to what some would say. My forks never lock up under hard braking. I'd sure know it if they did..lol

My partner also rebuilds both the top and bottom ADV or will sell you a rebuild kit.. http://www.dhsracing.com/GL-1800.htm
                      Honda will not sell the lower ADV-You have to buy a lower fork slider to get one.
                      **You may not like the Truth-But that doesn't change it!**

"Life is Tough-It's tougher when you are stupid"

The Devil whispered "I'm coming for you"!
                      I whispered back "Bring Beer"

The only reason I disabled mine is because I kept blowing fork seals every 40k miles, and always the left one first. We'll see if this changes anything.
                        Ken

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page