X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet Chin Strap

Default Helmet Chin Strap
    I recently bought two new Shoei Neotec helmets to replace my Nolan N103 helmets. The one disadvantage of the Shoei over the Nolan is the chin straps. The Nolans have ratchet straps while the Shoei has the D-Rings. Now before we go any further, I don't care to hear from anyone stating that the ratchet strap system is unsafe, keep your opinon to yourself!! A fact is, I was with a fellow riding buddy who's head hit and bounced off the pavement at 80 MPH with a Nolan 103 and the "entire" helmet performed flawlessly. So the ratchet type chin straps are safe.

My question is, has anyone replaced their D-Ring chin strap with a Ratchet type strap mechanism?? I have used the aftermarket snap type devices and although they are easier to deal with than the D-Ring, they are not nearly as easy to deal with as the Ratchet type strap, especially with gloves on.

Where can I find a Micro Ratchet strap device, that meets DOT standards, that I could use in lieu of the D-Ring system???

I have never had a helmet with a ratchet strap so I can not comment, but I did find the below comments in a write up on the helmet ratchet straps. Hope this helps you.

Weak point, if there is one, is the ratchet chinstrap. The hard plastic is uncomfortable if you strap it down too tight. There is a padded liner piece but wish it was fixed somehow to the plastic buckles. It's uncomfortable when they slip out of place. I'm debating super-gluing them in place. Otherwise, I do like the quick on/off compared to D-rings

The chin strap was a little uncomfortable at the beginning but got use to it.

The ratchet retention strap is a pleasure as long as you don't make it too tight. It's much easier than the double d's

Unfortunately the ratchet chin strap hurt my neck badly and was a deal breaker for me. I really hate that because I really liked everything else

Comment: (For off-topic replies)

I loved the strap on my Nolan, unfortunately I don't have a Nolan shaped head. I've been using D-Ring straps so long it's almost second nature to hook them up. It's almost a Zen thing for me, I close my eyes and take a couple of seconds to relax and get ready for the ride while getting it all put together . My wife has an after market quick disconnect on your strap. I can't remember the brand, but she does have a hard time sometimes getting it all lined up right to get it to snap into place. If I could find one that worked as well as the Nolan one, I might try it.
      Mike Harrison
      '12 Blue GL1800 level 3
      '06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

I have used the metal style snap buckle (looks like plastic but inside is steel to steel connection)...available at most helmet buying stores.
        Florida Prowler #26 -
        Darksider #933 90,000 miles and counting
        Keep the shiney side up!

Originally posted by Mayor Hal View Post
          I have used the metal style snap buckle (looks like plastic but inside is steel to steel connection)...available at most helmet buying stores.
          That's what we currently have but can still be a PIA. The rachet straps like what's on the Nolan helmet is the best...quick and easy, but secure.

Here is the response from Shoei...no surprise....
            "We do not offer any micro ratchets for our helmets here in the US. I cannot recommend anyone for this service and if you modify the chin straps on tour helmets you will void the warranty and could cause the helmet to fail in an accident."

Here's a question for owners of helmets that have ratchet type strap closures. How do you hang your helmets on the helmet hanger hooks under the Wing's trunk? I'm asking because I am considering getting my first helmet that doesn't have the "D" ring closure system.

Here you go.
                $5 and exceeds DOT.
                http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FAST-HOOK...e#ht_992wt_928

and this in metal
                http://zoxoro.com.au/Products/Echo-Q...ml?var=2934921
                GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

Originally posted by wingleader09 View Post
                  Here's a question for owners of helmets that have ratchet type strap closures. How do you hang your helmets on the helmet hanger hooks under the Wing's trunk? I'm asking because I am considering getting my first helmet that doesn't have the "D" ring closure system.
                  I cant hang my Nolan with the oem hooks. You will need a small loop, perhaps some plastic coated wire fishing trace crimped together.
                  GL1800 8A - TRIUMPH SCRAMBLER 900

I've had a couple Noland and I liked the ratchet set up. Right now I have a Shoei with the double loops, just like all my helmets had other than the Nolans. The loops are just as easy or easier for me because I never completely free them, I just pull the red tab and loosen it to take it off. When I put it on I can just pull the strap and snap it. I've done it this way for years dirt and street. Easy least with or without gloves.

https://youtu.be/-jD1-4HSgyc

I did a quick video to show how I do it. The video is done one handed, using two hand is much easier.

I have used aftermarket helmet fasteners and the best were from Wing Stuff.com I leave one of the D rings in place to use as a hook if needed,if not available I use a split ring of the correct size from a key chain.

Originally posted by BNordt08 View Post
                          I have used aftermarket helmet fasteners and the best were from Wing Stuff.com I leave one of the D rings in place to use as a hook if needed,if not available I use a split ring of the correct size from a key chain.
                          A split ring is a great idea. Thanks Bob!

I can not help you with your search but I have been riding and using the d ring helmets for 40 years on dirt bikes and street bikes and I am not sure I could even figure out how to use anything different. Not sure I have even seen this ratchet style helmet fastener.
                            Dave - Arizona - 2012/GL1800

The double rings are easier for me than the ratchets.

Have used the Plastic Snap Closer for years until it breaks from heat or sun exposer / then I put a new one on.....
                                Retired, Lifetime NRA, IBA #5831, AMA Lifer, HOG Lifer, Gypsy Tour Rider

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

I have always had and used the double D rings. I'm happy with them.
                                  "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

Originally posted by Lone Ranger View Post
                                    I have always had and used the double D rings. I'm happy with them.
                                    I have always used double D ring helmets in 40+ years of riding and I'm happy with them too. But I am in the market for a new flip up helmet to replace my aging Shark Evoline. The helmet that has all the bells and whistles I like and has great reviews at a moderate price is the Vemar Jiano EVO TC. It is rated right up there with the very expensive Schuberth C3 at a fraction of the cost. But the Vemar uses the ratchet type strap closure system. After searching several motorcycle forums, it seems like many people like that ratchet system a lot. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Originally posted by wingleader09 View Post

I have always used double D ring helmets in 40+ years of riding and I'm happy with them too. But I am in the market for a new flip up helmet to replace my aging Shark Evoline. The helmet that has all the bells and whistles I like and has great reviews at a moderate price is the Vemar Jiano EVO TC. It is rated right up there with the very expensive Schuberth C3 at a fraction of the cost. But the Vemar uses the ratchet type strap closure system. After searching several motorcycle forums, it seems like many people like that ratchet system a lot. Maybe I'll give it a go.
                                      The Shark is a nice looking helmet but I can't spring for it. Vemar is also interesting. Do you if the ratchet and D-ring system so the same type of webbing to hold their system. In other words is there an industry standard for the webbing/strap? I know the helmet shell has to meet certain standards.
                                      "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for few public officials." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 425-426)

• wingleader09
                                        wingleader09 commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        As far as I know, the same material is used for both types of strap closure systems. I don't know if the strap material is specified in FMVSS218 which is the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard used to determine DOT certification for motorcycle helmets.

I hear ya Lawing. I'll never own another pair of boots without a quick lace system, nor a helmet without ratchet straps.

I'm not Amish or a Harley rider; so why should I be content with 100 year old technology
                                      George - 2013 F6B Standard - Largo, FL

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page